Profile for Stephen M. Tindle > Reviews

The Launching of Roger Brook
The Launching of Roger Brook
Price: 2.57

4.0 out of 5 stars The Return of Roger Brook, 18 May 2014
I first read the Roger Brook novels in my early teens, Dennis Wheatley was still writing them at the time and I was so enamoured of the series that I bought the last two in hardback as son as they were released( a substantial investment for someone who at that tie only had the money from a newspaper round. These were the books which introduced me to the Napoleonic wars , which are still a abiding interest to me today. There was no chance that this reissue would ever live up to my memories and yes the writing in some places seems a bit dated and the storyline lacks the convoluted twists and turns of today,s novels but it was still a highly enjoyable read and Dennis Wheatley's knowledge of the period is thorough . I will be buying the whole series again and this time they'll be on my kindle so won't be disposed of when I run out of space for my books. Would recommend these to anyone with an interest in this period

Isaac's Army
Isaac's Army
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Isaac's Army, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Isaac's Army (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as a Kindle 99p book, so for the money it would have to be absolute rubbish to get a bad rating. This was not bad it was exceptionally good, it was suprising how much first hand accounts from the Jewish side had survived considering how few of the ir fighters survived the fighting in the ghetto. This was an area of history I had only limited knowledge of so enjoyed this book. I did not give it 5 stars because the author appeared to have made little attempt to consult German or Russian sources. Also although it was of interest, I did not feel that the early escape of one family out of Poland eventually to America was actually relevant to the star of Jewish resistance.
Would recommend this book

Lord Geoffrey's Fancy (Bello)
Lord Geoffrey's Fancy (Bello)
Price: 1.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Alfred Duggan, 18 Jan 2014
Just finished reading this, it was not one of Mister Duggan's books I had read before, so all was presently new. For those who are more use to modern historical fiction, where sex is always a prominent part of the storyline this will come across as dated and naive. It is a well written book about a relative backwater of medieval history- the Frank kingdoms of the Greek peninsula. As with most of Duggan's heroes the hero is not very heroic, he does very little above and beyond that of any other house knight of the period, but he has the advantage of living in interesting times in an interesting place. Mr Duggan's books are always as historically accurate as possible and are always a joy to read. My preference is for his medieval stories rather than his ancient or dark age fiction, but that his purely my preference based on my own interest in history.

Medieval Warfare: the Art of War in the Middle Ages
Medieval Warfare: the Art of War in the Middle Ages
Price: 0.61

1.0 out of 5 stars Abridged Version, 4 Jan 2014
I found the blurb about this book on the Amazon web site incomplete and very misleading. I could not see any reference on the site to the fact that this was an abridged version. The original version, which is available on archive.org is 744 pages, this abridged version is only 144 pages. An extremely harsh cutting, which possibly explains why another reviewer had problems making sense of some of the statements.
I find there is a problem in how information about book publishing dates are shown on the Kindle website, this book is given a publishing date of 2011, with no reference to the original publication date(1924), which disappointed at least one reviewer, who was expecting a new view of the subject based on the publication date.

The Complete Soldier Son Trilogy: Shaman's Crossing, Forest Mage, Renegade's Magic
Price: 11.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad hero, 4 Dec 2013
I like Robin Hobb's writing, her world's are always believable,well thought out, full of convincing detail and always different to the normal fantasy worlds. Her characters are always believable, which is also her failing and the reason I only give this trilogy three stars. The hero is an insecure character, who spends more of his time doubting himself than actually being heroic. He invariably misses the blatantly obvious and worries more about doing the right thing than actually doing the right thing. A perfectly believable person but annoying as a hero. Do not let this put you off these books, as the writing is excellent and has an original storyline.

Pearl Bailey: 1947-1950
Pearl Bailey: 1947-1950
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pearl, 28 Sep 2013
Pearl Bailey is one of the under rated female Jazz singers of the 40's who,like Helen Humes, never achieved the fame and renown that befell Billie Holiday and Ella FitzGerald. This is a shame because she is both a very professional singer and the owner of a very distinctive, soft and seductive voice. As the title says this CD covers all her releases from December 1947 to February 1950. A group of these tracks also appears under the same series' release for Hot Lips Page, with whom she releasd a series of duets. This includes possibly the best version of "Baby It's Cold Outside", which in my opinion is even superior to the version produced by Ella FitzGerald and Louis Jordan. I thoroughly recommend this album to all but in particular for those who enjoy listening to a fine female voice handling a Jazz tune with style.

Complete Jazz Series 1946 - 1949
Complete Jazz Series 1946 - 1949
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Lu, 20 May 2013
There are many female singers of this period, who never received the respect that they deserved. Blue Lu is one of these. She has a distinctive voice and her rendition of the songs is memorable. Many of them fall into the category of Jump Blues.
So if you like Louis Jordan, Amos Milburn or Julia Lee give Blue Lu a try.

Time Out Of Mind
Time Out Of Mind
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Time Out Of Mind (MP3 Download)
Originally I bought this has a cassette, never got to buy it as a CD, have finally moved on and got it on MP3. I've always been a lover of saxophone and have always regarded Grover has the best of the Jazz Funk/Smooth Jazz Saxophonists. This has been my favorite of his many albums, it is more pop orientated than his earlier jazzier albums without going as far mainstream as some of his later work. To me this is Grover at his best.

Hot Lips Page: 1938-1940
Hot Lips Page: 1938-1940
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Lips?, 5 May 2013
Not as good as his post war playing. This collection of tracks as 4 or 5 tracks that were produced for the white pop charts of the time which have asinine lyrics and lack jazz. However that is only 20 to 25% of the CD, the rest his good honest jazz with some mean trumpet blowing by Hot Lips.
If you have not listened to Hot Lips before the two post war CDs in this series (46-50 & 50-52) are a better introduction to his work.
I use to buy this series on CD and although MP3 purchases are a lot cheaper and don't fill up the house I do miss the comprehensive album notes that were provided with the CDs.