Profile for Dr. W. A. P. Nicholson > Reviews

Content by Dr. W. A. P. N...

Dr. W. A. P. Nicholson "W A Patrick" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
The West Wing - Complete Seasons 1 and 2 [DVD] [2001]
The West Wing - Complete Seasons 1 and 2 [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping drama, 10 Oct 2010
I got the first half of series 1 on tape. The program is so good I bought seasons 1 and 2 before I had watched them all. A good decision. Great stuff

Emma [DVD]
Emma [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 20 Dec 2009
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
I don't know what the BBC were thinking of with this effort. After the great adaptation of Pride and Prejudice this is just hopeless. With 4 hours to include much more of Austen's original dialogue, why did they miss so much out and then introduce modern 'dumb' conversations and plot lines that don't occur in the novel?

I watched all 4 episodes hoping it would improve - it didn't. It's hard to recall one character who was really well cast. I greatly admire Micheal Gambon but his role in this was so minor he couldn't redeem it on his own

My recommendation if you want to enjoy Austen is first read the book and then go and buy the 1996 version staring Kate Beckinsale. The version staring Gwyneth Paltroe is also worth watching but not as faithful to the original story - I have both. But don't waste your money on this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 10:37 AM BST

Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Rosanna Arquette
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic film, 10 Dec 2009
I've had this classic film on VHS for years. Rosanna Arquette and Madona make a great pair. I thought it was time to move onto DVD before my tape plater croaks and it is too late. Well worth repeated watching.

Page: 1 | 2