Profile for buddingpasha > Reviews

Content by buddingpasha

buddingpasha "A multilateralist" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Dangerous Book for Boys
The Dangerous Book for Boys
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading!, 30 Jun 2006
For boys AND girls from 6 to 160. I bought initially as a present for myself but my seven year old daughter got a hold of it and won't give it back! For fathers who are 30 something plus it recaptures all of the stuff that you made or when interested in when you were kid and before your hormones kicked in and the opposite sex beckoned. Things to read, things to understand and things to explore. The greatest antidote to the Gameboy generation. Make it compulsory reading and the childhood obesity problem may go away!

The Persian Expedition (Penguin Classics)
The Persian Expedition (Penguin Classics)
by Xenophon

5.0 out of 5 stars A great epic, who needs SciFi and Fantasy?, 13 Jun 2006
I keep encouraging younger readers to embrace the classics and the Anabasis or Persian expedition is the first recommendation, that I make. An epic yarn that has crossed the ages to the most unlikely places (Consider that Xenophon's Persian Expedition was the inspiration for the 1970s film "The Warriors").

Who needs Sci-Fi and Fantasy when real history produces such heroic epics.

Inspiring but more importantly accessible ...which begs the question why more don't access it.

Syriana [DVD] [2005] [2006]
Syriana [DVD] [2005] [2006]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

5.0 out of 5 stars An Indictment , perhaps a "Salvador" for our time, 12 Mar 2006
This review is from: Syriana [DVD] [2005] [2006] (DVD)
Syriana, follows the model of Soderbergh's previous 2000 film Traffic of 4 different interwoven stories with the central thread being the Middle East oil business and its consequences. The multilayered and complex plot ranges from the investigation of an oil merger in the US, a disillusioned CIA agent (George Clooney) who can't make sense of his work anymore, Matt Damon's idealistic Oil analyst trying to help the wise reformist Gulf State would be emir to finally a Pakistani ex-oil worker sliding into Islamic Fundamentalism. It was ilmed in locations which give the stark tableau of contrasts, particularly the labourers contrasted with the sky scrapers of the Gulf. Although it has been unfavourably compared to Traffic, it has a profound timeliness and I hope will provoke audiences to rexamine the issues in the Middle East particularly US policy. I never until now rated George Clooney so highly as a director.

What Might Have Been?: Leading Historians on Twelve 'What Ifs' of History: Imaginary History from Twelve Leading Historians (Phoenix Paperback Series)
by Introduced and Edited by Andrew Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing Second Half Mired In Political Bias, 29 Jan 2006
I have read others in this series but I have to say the second half of the book by the contributions of Simon Heffer, Conrad Black and David Frum. I am astonished that these guys feature as contributors. Predictably Simon Heffer embarks on a tirade against Michael Heseltine, Conrad Black assures us if the US entry in WW2 and David Frum assures us that Bush was/is best as leader of the Free World. Keep your day jobs guys and leave your predjudices there, you get enough air time there!

The Burda: The Poem of the Cloak (CD Audio Book)
The Burda: The Poem of the Cloak (CD Audio Book)
by Imam Salih Sharaf ud-Din Abu Abdullah Muhammad bin Hasan al Busiri
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wraps + protects your soul from the coldness of the world., 11 July 2005
I write this in the aftermath of the London 7/7 bombings. I never knew of the Burda (The poem of the Cloak/Mantle) until I stumbled across it when looking for Sheikh Hamza Yusf's other works. What you physically get is a well packaged 3 CD set and a hardback translation and explanation of the Cd contents including a beautiful calligraphic rendering of the text. The Cds themselves touch the heart and evoke a peace and gentleness. They flow like the fountains of Andalusia which is the origin of the style of singing. The opening sequence is the most powerful and to me laments the human condition but from then on it lifts to its attempts to describe the Prophet, his struggles, achievement to its conclusion of mankind's relationship with the Merciful and Forgiving God.
Surely if there was a message from these times this it. Hamza Yusuf, you have given the English world a very, very great thing.

The Consolations of Philosophy
The Consolations of Philosophy
by Alain de Botton

5.0 out of 5 stars practical philosophy from the classics for the modern world, 5 July 2005
I loved this book. Having struggled through many a weighty tome to try to understand what the great DWEMs (Dead White European Males) had to say, I usually got frustrated and basically gave up. This book is different, it explains the essence of Socrates, Epicurus, Seneca Montaigne etc and translates what their respective thinking means to modern life. If you want to be a pseud and name drop socially don't read this book. BUT if you want a practical guide to living your life, being content with the irritations in your life and just being happy READ

Bytestor USB 2.0 Pen Drive 128MB
Bytestor USB 2.0 Pen Drive 128MB

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiendishly nice little bit of kit, 4 Oct 2004
This really is one of the best bits of kit, I have bought. Nice price, great capacity and great USB 2.0 speed. You get a lot for your money compared to others that I have seen. For me this has led to the culmination of my dream: to be able to carry a briefcase worth of work easily around my neck! Great buy.

Read My Lips [DVD] [2002]
Read My Lips [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Vincent Cassel
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little movie, 4 Oct 2004
This review is from: Read My Lips [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Its difficult to write this without a "spoiler" I quite liked this nice little movie. There is no glamour or glitz and everybody looks refreshingly average which adds to the believable plot and characters. Add in some suspence and you have a nice little movie that entertains.

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (Charlie & Lola Series)
I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (Charlie & Lola Series)
by Lauren Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, with much to offer adults., 23 Aug 2004
I love these well illustrated books in the Lola and Charlie series. Lauren Child certainly appreciates the sometimes frustrating but always in retrospect lovable proficiency of the young child in barrack room law. This excursion is just as entertaining. I love the word "schooliform".
Whilst I would never be caught reading Harry Potter, I would happy read this one again and again to my five year old and never, ever be embarassed reading this on the Underground!!

I'm Not the Only One
I'm Not the Only One
by George Galloway

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to anyone cynical of current British Politics, 23 Aug 2004
This review is from: I'm Not the Only One (Paperback)
The media have misjudged this guy big time.I have read quite a few different texts on the subject matter that George Galloway covers. However I have never read something that reads so eloquently and so easily. He is wittily scathing of New Labour, but I believe is fair, giving even his opponents some credit when it is due. I read this in one session, the prose flows beautifully and reminds of some the greatest political speeches I have ever read.
George....you are not the only one by any means.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7