Profile for CR78 > Reviews

CR78 (Manchester UK)

Dana White, King of MMA: Dana White an unauthorized biography
Dana White, King of MMA: Dana White an unauthorized biography
by June White

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameless cash-in nonsense. No wonder he fell out with her!, 27 Jun 2013
I wasn't sure on reading this book having heard it was Dana's mother writing about how much he had changed and was a horrible person. It's not that I think Dana is some god who needs defending (although I do have the utmost respect for him as for what he's achieved with the UFC in business) but the whole basis of the book sounds like someone ranting and trying to make money from it.

Sure enough, when I did give it a shot, I regretted it fairly quickly. If you want to know about this book without having the torture of reading it, I'll give you the bottom line. Dana White was once a loving and generous boy who was not in any way as hard as he makes out he was and his upbringing was massively better than he makes out. Nowadays Dana White is a horrible person who cut off his family and won't help them out with anything.

The entire book is dull, written from the perspective of a bitter woman who isn't being waited on hand and foot by her now famous son. Obviously I have no idea of the whole truth behind whatever happened betweeen Dana and his mother but I do know what it's like to feel like you're expected to mollycoddle your mother. Even without the obvious bitterness and completely ridiculous concept of writing a book to try and shame your son, the book is still incredibly dull on the whole. It seems to go from Dana being a baby, to a kid, to a teen with nothing of any real interest, to suddenly the man he is today and now he's a horrible person.

Well guess what, the fact that his mother is trying to make money from a book which slanders her son probably says a lot about her morals. Save yourself some money unless you're looking for a quick insomnia cure.

The Happening [DVD] [2008]
The Happening [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than most would have you believe, 25 July 2009
This review is from: The Happening [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I watched this without expecting too much considering so many negative reports and ended up being happily surprised.

Firstly, if you're going to watch The Happening expecting it to be the same old twist ending or to be full of action then you're going to be disappointed. I suggest people sit down and watch it as a general movie and take it for what it is rather than resorting to comparing to every other Shyamalan movie.

For me The Happening tells an interesting story which leaves you with many thoughts, questions and observations, just as I like in a good film. Personally I think if you sit and attempt to take on board what the film says about society and humanity and keep an eye out for the little signs and nods to certain clues regarding those subjects then you'll enjoy it for what it is. Don't expect some thrillride or a general Saturday night popcorn movie or you're going to hate it.

Much has been said about Mark Wahlberg's performance aswell (again mostly incredibly negative) but I found that whilst he has portrayed some wooden characters in other films, he hits this role perfectly for what it's meant to be. Again if you sit and actually try to take in what the story is about and how Mark's character fits into that then you'll see he actually plays the part to a tee, as does Zooey Deschanel as his wife.

Overall for a thinking movie I find this to be very well done and very unfairly reviewed. Whether the negativity is due to people being unable to watch without comparing to Shyamalan's other films or the fact that the majority can't sit down and actually use their brains to think about the world and the message in the film I don't know.

Haunted Homes: True Stories of Paranormal Investigations
Haunted Homes: True Stories of Paranormal Investigations
by Mia Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for anyone with a keen interest in the paranormal, Mia and/or the TV series., 5 July 2009
I bought the Haunted Homes book after seeing both series on TV, hoping that there would be more detailed information about what actually went on during, before and after filming.

I'm glad to say that not only does the book do exactly that giving a much more in-depth look at each case from Series 1 (unfortunately there hasn't been a book published covering Series 2) and the stories behind them, but it also gives a lot of insight into Mia's gift and some important facts that everyone who does anything involving the paranormal should know.

Overall this book contains a lot more detail about each individual case from the first series that the Haunted Homes team went on along with some more interesting information about Mia and her work and some essential important details about investigating or dealing with the paranormal, all written in Mia's warm, honest, friendly and very easy to read writing style.

This book is highly recommended and excellent value for anyone interested in the paranormal and Mia Dolan. And if you enjoyed the TV series then you'll really want to grab this and see more of what went on that you won't see on TV!

The Gift: The Story of an Ordinary Woman's Extraordinary Power
The Gift: The Story of an Ordinary Woman's Extraordinary Power
by Mia Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully enlightening read, 1 July 2009
Having seen Mia Dolan on the TV and heard about her abilities, one day something made me decide to pick up this book and learn a bit more about her story...and how glad I am that I did.

The Gift is a very heartfelt read and an inspiration. Mia openly tells her story of her childhood, growing up and some incredibly difficult times in her life and what lead her down the path to become who she is today, a wonderful woman with amazing abilities but who has also never lost sight of her roots and her warm heart. The Gift really spoke to me and I couldn't put it down once I had started.

Overall aside from it being a very emotional and interesting journey, I found the book to be incredibly inspiring showing how you can overcome traumatic and incredibly difficult times in life yet still come through the other side and have an incredible gift and so much to give. Mia comes across very well in this book as someone who is very down to earth, open, honest and kind hearted and I'm very happy to say that having met her in real life that's exactly how she is.

Whether you're interested in the psychic world or you're just interested to read about Mia's life you'll find a very engaging and wonderful book here. I can't recommend it enough.

UEFA Euro 2008 (Xbox 360)
UEFA Euro 2008 (Xbox 360)
Offered by SweetBuzzards

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange at first but a massive grower., 2 July 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let me start off by saying that I used to hate all the FIFA games since FIFA 98 (Road to World Cup) and was a massive, massive PES fan. Every year I'd drool over the latest PES and play it to death until the next version came out. This continued all the way up to PES 2008 which I found to be absolutely shocking. My how things have changed. FIFA 08 actually blows PES away on gameplay now aswell as having all the squads, kits and bells & whistles that EA have always had.

Anyway, EURO 2008. I wanted to start off by saying how FIFA 08 is the best football game around on any console just to let people know my feelings on the franchise as a whole. After hammering FIFA 08 since I got it, I raised an eyebrow at Euro 2008. Of course I knew EA would throw out another cash-in for the tournament, but I figured I'd take a look anyway.

The demo on XBox Live is kinda ok but isn't really the best example to go off. When I first played I have to admit I was pretty dissapointed that the gameplay and camera views have been changed since FIFA 08 as to me that was already brilliant as it was. However props to EA for at least making significant changes to the game rather than throwing out FIFA 08 with Euro teams at full price.

After giving the full game a shot and having now played a few games I must say it's an excellent game. Is it better than FIFA 08? Well I'm not sure on that. It's as good for enjoyment value and of course if you want the full Euro tournament game with the better player faces and manager faces etc then you need this game. Overall I couldn't say choose either as both are excellent games in their own right and can be enjoyed together. Normally I'm against companies cashing in and I've voiced my discontent about EA several times in the past years, but this time around I do think if you're a fan of football and both club and international competitions then you need both games.

The gameplay in Euro 2008 is different from FIFA 08. I wouldn't say it's better but also it's definitely not worse. It's a very fun game to play, very involving and has all the tournament fancy stuff like you'd expect. I definitely advise trying to rent or borrow the game rather than just going off the demo on Live as it's much more fun when you sit down and play the game properly a few times.

Plus Points: Excellent graphics and presentation, great game engine again and a wealth of European teams to take to Euro 2008

Negatives: No Netherlands players again (wrong names) and the same goes for Wales for some reason too.

Definitely worth investing in. Let's hope FIFA 09 is just as good as these or even better.

FIFA 08 (PS3)
FIFA 08 (PS3)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

2.0 out of 5 stars Better Gameplay, but still typically sloppy in places. AND a game breaking bug., 31 Oct 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 08 (PS3) (Video Game)
I've not been able to enjoy a FIFA game since around the time of FIFA 98 and to be honest, yet again I didn't expect much from this. However as the time got closer to release and I'd read a lot more on it and played the demos, I was actually won over and gave the game a shot. How silly of me to think that EA actually had given something back to the cosumers this year.

To cut a long story short, the gameplay mechanics themselves are admittedly much much better than FIFA has probably ever been, delivering a strong and enjoyable game engine to rival PES which has unfortunately taken a backwards step this year. However this is where the good news ends.

Firstly it's full of typical EA shoddy and sloppyness with regards to stats and the manager mode. For a company that makes so much effort to champion itself on it's licenses I find it baffling that certain teams are without their correct names, kits and so on in the game, but much worse, you'll also find the valuations of players in the management mode absolutely ridiculous. Giles Barnes of Derby is ranked at something like £400,000, maybe less. Michah Richards 2 million etc. Ridiculously low prices for such players, and this is consistent right the way through the entire game. This means you end up being able to buy world stars for teams that would never get near them in real life.

What's worse than this is that the manager mode is so unrealistic it's not even worth bothering with. For one, all the CPU teams NEVER change their lineups throughout the season, not if they buy players, not if they're playing poorly, not even if they have no stamina left. The CPU continually plays the same team all season and will sometimes even make the exact same substitutions when you play them for the 2nd or 3rd time in a season. On top of this, at the end of a season in manager mode, you can choose to go to any team you like in the game regardless of how you've done. Just managed to stay up with Macclesfield in League 2? Well why not go straight to Real Madrid next year? Like that happens.

And just to put the cherry on the cake, EA have also allowed the game to ship with bugs that cause the game to freeze up randomly on menus and also sometimes in game. This has been suffered by the majority of gamers as you will see if you check EA's FIFA forums and several other places on the net. The game will freeze and the only way to carry on is to reset the console and start over again, which of course if you're in the middle of a league or cup game completely ruins it for you. EA's response to this bug has been to completely IGNORE the huge amount of people reporting it and bury their head in the sand. To this date I have still not seen EA give any feedback, help or even acknowledge the fault, which again shows you what a great and customer friendly company EA are.

I sold my copy of the game around a week after release, thankfully for a profit and will not touch them again. The company are well known for their tactics and lack of effort with their sports games and I for one have had enough of them. My advice is to seek out EA's far superior rivals when it comes to sports games. Get NBA 2K8, NHL 2K8 and forget their shoddy broken games such as FIFA and Madden. Maybe then they will start to learn how to put out a quality product and stop taking fans for fools while laughing all the way to the bank on the back of "having all the official licenses."

Crank [DVD]
Crank [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at doing what it's meant to do..., 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Crank [DVD] (DVD)
It always amuses me when people go see a movie and comment on it not being something that it never intended to be. If you want believable storylines and actions, character development and seriousness then you'd never come and watch this movie to begin with.

Crank is an all out actionfest film, a thrillride from beginning to end. Yes there's unrealistic events, yes there's moments that are downright amusing, but it does what it says on the tin. We're not talking The Shawshank Redemption here people.

Statham plays his typical Lock Stock/Transporter style which fits this film perfectly. Basically it's action at 200mph from beginning to end with some fantastic camerawork and some great moments which you can't help but enjoy. Sure there are some scenes (especially coming towards the end but I won't leave any spoilers) that look a bit dodgy, but I think we can forgive that for this type of film.

Personally I loved it. If you want an all out action packed film full of stunts, women and a few laughs then you can't go wrong with this. If you want character driven thoughtfulness then look elsewhere. All I can say is, send the mrs out, get the mates round, crack open a few beers, whack this on and prepare to be entertained.

American Dad! - Volume 2 [DVD]
American Dad! - Volume 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars This boxset IS the 19 episode set, 30 May 2007
Just to clarify, ignore O.Robson a couple of reviews down as he is wrong. This Region 2 American Dad boxset is Volume 2 rather than Season 2 but it does contain 19 full episodes NOT 10 as that person (and certain other people have listed elsewhere) has incorrectly stated.

The episodes begin with "Stannie Get Your Gun" and runs through to "The Best Christmas Story Never" This is the remaining 10 episodes from Season 1 and the first 9 episodes of Season 2 from American TV.

The Region 1 release in the US is exactly the same so don't be fooled into importing it by thinking it's any better than Region 2. It's cheaper and better to get it here. So overall it isn't a full Season 2 from America but at least it's the rest of Season 1 and half of Season 2 rather than the incorrectly listed half of Season 1 alone.

As for the show itself, if you liked Volume 1 you'll buy it and if you like Family Guy you should buy it. Nuff said.

American Dad! - Season 1 [DVD]
American Dad! - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Fox ripping us off on this one aswell..., 2 July 2006
This isn't a review as such, just a statement as I don't see that anyone else has mentioned yet.

For anyone that is a fan of this series or anyone that has already bought it, I thought you should know that Fox has done the same trick that they did with the release of Family Guy Season 4.

This "Complete" American Dad Season 1 is actually also only half of the first series which aired in America. I presume that's so they'll release the other half for the same extortianate price and also a full season boxset later on.

Great show, shameful cash-in splitting the seasons.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2013 9:22 PM BST