Profile for N. Briscoe > Reviews

Horse&Rider Magazine
Horse&Rider Magazine
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Horse&Rider Magazine (App)
Not happy. Bought magazine and read some of it, tried to find it later and it was gone. Waste of money for a magazine i only read four pages of

Silence
Silence
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Passed a bit of time... never going to win awards, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Silence (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the story in that it kept me reading until the end, it was an easy read but I felt that it lacked style and substance. It felt very much like teenage fiction- written for those on the edge of adulthood rather than in it.

Wasn't too keen on the writing if I'm honest- and I found some of the dialogue quite poor. Felt that the characters were not really explored and I do think there were some chapters in there for the sake of filling time.

Felt that the ending was very out of nowhere (the very end, not the reveal). Sort of felt a bit cheated.

House of Darkness House of Light: The True Story Volume One
House of Darkness House of Light: The True Story Volume One
Price: 5.62

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Aug 2013
The author can write, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately her style of writing would be a lot better suited to a fantasy novel where you want three pages of description about every single thing. She massively misses the point, people have bought this book because they want the facts about the story- the inside information from the people involved, but the author misses this completely and turns it into a long and drawn out account of absolutely everything. Much of it is irrelevant or could be summed up in a few sentences, yet everything is described in such ridiculous detail that you will find yourself skipping massive chunks of it in the desperate hope that you will find an interesting bit. I felt at times like I was reading an English assignment written by a teenager who had taken far too many descriptive writing lessons.

Another thing that is both confusing and irritating is that the story is told in the most random order. You seem to go from the first 'incident' to them having accepted that things are happening. You jump months and years back and forth. There is no in between, no build up of events. Then it switches back to an earlier event, then flies forward again. Very messy.

I bought the book because, after seeing the film, I was curious as to how different it was from the real events. I wish I hadn't bothered, the film at least told a chronological series of events. The book left me frustrated and wondering why I had wasted my time.

Insidious [DVD]
Insidious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Wilson
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Insidious [DVD] (DVD)
I have just watched this film and nearly wet myself laughing...

What started off as a good horror- first half an hour seemed very promising- turned into a rather horrific abundance of people in white gowns, dodgy face paint and a lot of noise.
The acting was dire. The story, which started off ok, headed into some ridiculous realm that became so unbelievable that I lost complete interest in the film. The arrival of those two nerds was the finishing point for me, that's when I felt like giving up. But I sat it out- and at one point thought I had arrived in an episode of power rangers. Or was on a bad trip.

So my overall impression- don't waste your money on this. If you can pick it up for a couple of quid in a bargain shop then maybe do so for entertainment (and a laugh!) but pay over a couple of quid and you're being ripped off.

My final bug bear- why can't someone, anyone, produce a horror that stays consistent all the way through??? Why start off so promising and then veer off into some catastrophic nonsense??

I give up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 3:39 PM BST

The Choice
The Choice
by Susan Lewis
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a rainy day, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
This is the first Susan Lewis book I have read. I was quite gripped reading the first page, but was soon quite disappointed with the writing- which seemed a little clumsy and childish at times. The book is heavily reliant on dialogue, which is fine, but I didn't feel that the dialogue was very well written- stilted and often unnatural. I felt the pace of the book was slow, there is an awful lot that could have been cut out and I found myself skipping pages to try and speed up to more crucial parts of the story. The third person narrative jumps confusingly from person to person in the same paragraphs which was annoying at first but didn't allow me to feel I really knew anyone very well. Another problem was the mass of explanation in huge blocks. I don't particularly enjoy reading 5 pages about a characters past events, I would rather it be dropped in teasingly and sparingly. Back story needs to be relevant and I felt it wasn't always in this book.

However, I will say that the book made me want to see it through, which can only be a good thing! I was curious to find out how it was going to end up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 7:17 AM GMT

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 4 [DVD]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 4 [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking a little of the Buffy spark, 19 April 2008
I approached season 4 a bit cautiously as I wasnt really sure how the transition from High School to college would work. On a whole the season wasnt actually so bad but I do think it was let down by several factors and one of those is pretty much the major story arc for the whole season- the initiative. I just couldnt get my head around it at all, and just didnt feel like it really worked or fitted in with the Buffyverse. Also Riley just never really worked for me in the show, I felt like he didnt really fit in and the chemistry between him and Buffy was zero compared to her and Angel.

Still if we take the good things about the season- the introduction of Tara who I think is a fantastic character and her and Willows relationship developing. Also one of the best episodes ever- Hush which is genius and shows just how well written the show is.

The big bad of the season- Adam- didnt really cut it for me. I didnt feel much about him at all before the final battle so found I didnt get quite as involved as say in season 3 with the Mayor.

Definatly not my least favourite season but my fears about Buffy leaving high school were confirmed a little here. Still, Buffy had to move on from that and I felt that although season 4 took a little dive downwards, season 5 picked up again and bought a lot back.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 3 [DVD]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 3 [DVD]
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars When Buffy went from being great to being sensational, 19 April 2008
Definatly, 100% the best season of Buffy ever.

I have watched season 3 so many times and bever tire of it. It is well written and directed, the stories and plotlines are so compelling, from the individual 'episode' demons/vampires to the big finale with the Mayor.

This season, in my opinion, was Buffy in its prime. I felt that a bit of magic left Buffy when they left High School so watching season 3 brings back to me just what an amazing show it really was. Everything is so perfectly done- from Angel coming back from hell to his and Buffys doomed relationship, the introduction of Faith, the Cordelia/Xander/Willow/Oz saga and finally the best villain of all time- the Mayor who is evil yet strangely likable and often humorous.

The Giles/Buffy relationship and the intervention of the watchers council added more depth to the season. The season starts well but gets even better and there are some fantastic episodes. Earshot is still one of my all time favourites and sends such a message out aswell.

By now places like the library are so familiar to us they feel like home and the thought of it not being there filled me with some trepedation about the future seasons to come.

Season 3 had depth, substance, great stories but also the fine blend of comedy, horror, action and emotion that makes Buffy one of the best programes of all time.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Season 5 (Box Set 1) [VHS] [1998]
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Season 5 (Box Set 1) [VHS] [1998]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good season..on the second watch, 19 April 2008
I'll admit that after the let down that was season 4, I didnt really know what to expect. I will also admit that to me no season of Buffy will never be as good as seasons 2 and 3, which were, on the whole, outstanding. The first time round season 5 left me a bit empty, Im not sure why but I did struggle at first with the introduction of Dawn and felt the season was a little flat at the beginning.

However on the second watch, this season is actually really very good. I loved Glory, one of the best villains in my opinion and the unfolding plotline over Dawn being the key was played so brilliantly by all but the real credit has to go to Michelle Trachtenberg who steals many of the scenes when it is revealed who she really is. There are some great episodes, the direction and writing of 'The Body' was haunting but very well done, as Buffy dealt with the loss of her mum.

Overall a good season, some inevitable poorer episodes but on the whole very watchable.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 6 [DVD]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 6 [DVD]
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the weakest season, 19 April 2008
Season 6 was a bit of a let down for me. I understand the writers decision to not include a 'big bad' enemy as such and instead let the relationships of the characters move the season along but I think it got a little lost along the way. I did not like the trio- Warren/Jonathon/Andrew and did feel it was a poor excuse a lot of the way to inject some 'humour' that was sadly lacking in most of episodes. I think the season could have worked just aswell without many of their exploits.

I do think the writing went a little downhill on this season, obviously with the exception of a few episodes. Much of the perfect combination of horror, comedy, action etc was lost, which took season 6 from being a stand out show to just run of the mill. I found a lot of the episodes seemed to blend together with no real plot or defination. I also think the season wavered further with the absence of Giles part way through.

The season does tackle some deep issues though including addiction (although played a little cliched at times), responsibility, growing up and making choices whether they be right or wrong. Still not convinced about the Buffy/Spike situation either but I do understand the reason the writers wanted to include it.

On a better note though, there were some stellar performances from the cast, notably Alyson Hannigan as the 'evil' Willow.

In my opinion, this was the weakest season of Buffy, although still enjoyable on the whole.

Diner Dash: Sizzle & Serve (Nintendo DS)
Diner Dash: Sizzle & Serve (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 28 May 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this about 2 weeks ago and only just had a chance to play it. I wondered really wether I was doing the right thing in buying it at the time but have to say this game is really good fun.

You have to seat, serve and clear up after customers, keeping the queue down and trying to organise the way you do things to get the most money out of the customers. I could see how some people might find it a bit repetitive but the challenge every time to reach the target in every shift really makes it worth it. As a little treat you get to upgrade your resturant and add things to it. You have to make the customers experience extra good so that they tip you more and dont walk out.

Its a great little game, I was pleasantly suprised when I played it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3