ARRAY(0xb2804078)

Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Price: 4.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 12 Dec 2013
Full of irreverent stories, just like the blog. Very easy to laugh out loud at, easy to dip in and out of. Lovely stuff.

Fangirl
Fangirl
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. I felt it was well written and I could empathise with the characters. As a fangirl myself, I found much of it relatable. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, but I shall be re-reading it soon.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Allie Brosh
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 6 Dec 2013
Love the blog of the same name, and love the book. I wondered how Allie's style would be translated into a physical book, and it's been done excellently. Great for reading all the way through, great for dipping in and out of when the feeling takes you. Thumbs up!!

Reality 36 (Angry Robot)
Reality 36 (Angry Robot)
by Guy Haley
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this a lot!, 10 Aug 2011
I'm definitley a Sci-Fi girl rather than a Fantasy fan, and for me, Reality36 ticked a LOT of boxes! World weary cyborg? Smart mouthed AI who gets about, both in the Real world and in the virtual one? They are the eponymous Klein and Richards, giving the 'detective duo' theme a shiny upgrade.

The world they live in is somewhat in our future, where the environment has taken a bashing and the planet is living through the consequences, but this is the backdrop not the focus. There are AI and Near-I machines, and AI's have equal rights with humans. But it's not cyberpunky (at least not to me) and although it has grit it's leavened by humour. The world building here is convincing and the action multistranded, and if, at one point I was thinking, "Wahhh??" in a very eloquent manner, the "Wahhh??" became an, "Oooh, I SEE!" by the end of the book.

Although R and K are the two hired to fight their way through a mystery for most of the book, there is a strong third character, the smart and cool Veronique, who is embarked on her separate strand of the same plot as she goes on the run and we follow all three as they try to understand what they're up against. There are other characters who are equally interesting and well thought out, both humans and virtual, particulary the Paladin and his lion (and yes, this is still NOT a fantasy book) and we get chapters from their points of view, as well.

I liked the glimpses you get of the world as the book progesses; you catch sight of something but don't have to stop to ingest a dry explanation. I never felt I was being infodumped upon. The plot was nicely twisty and I needed my wits about me, as did Richards and Klein.

All in all, a very enjoyable and textured read that I'm glad I bought. I shall look forward to more from the same author.