Profile for J. Mitchell > Reviews

Content by J. Mitchell

J. Mitchell "Jase" (Brighton, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2
SanDisk Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player with FM Radio - Black
SanDisk Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player with FM Radio - Black
Price: 35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, lightweight player, ideal for use while exercising, 1 Mar 2014
I bought this player after destroying my mobile phone while listening to music on it in the gym (it got sweaty and died). Anyway, the SanDisk Clip is exactly what I needed to avoid another expensive catastrophe. It clips to my shirt collar while I run, so doesn't get anywhere near my sweaty parts. It's so lightweight that it doesn't move about or come unclipped while I lope gracelessly on the treadmill. It's been a touch flaky when adding music to it, as it seemed to lose all my music the first time I copied it all over. But it's been fine for a few weeks now - it may well have been user error. I had a mini SD card lying around so I now have loads of space on the thing for music. Still, the built-in 4 gig is enough for hours of music and since the battery lasts ages, you'll probably be sick of your favourite album before the Clip shuts off. Unless you like your whole collection available at all times, 4 gig may be plenty. Sound quality seems decent, though I'd recommend investing separately in a decent pair of headphones. Very happy with the price tag too. It's great value. In summary, I'd recommend the Clip to those who want their smartphones to survive, and anyone who wants a convenient, lightweight MP3 player, especially if you're an active person who doesn't want heavy players and phones dropping out of pockets or, worse, pulling your shorts down as you run. Well, depends on who's around, I suppose.

The Great Vegan Bean Book: More than 100 Delicious Plant-Based Dishes Packed with the Kindest Protein in Town! - Includes Soy-Free and Gluten-Free Recipes!
by Kathy Hester
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought I knew it all. I didn't!, 3 Oct 2013
I've been vegan for 2 and a half years and am no stranger to beans: burgers, pates, chucking them in all sorts of dishes. I was a bit sceptical buying this book on that basis, but I've picked up some useful new ideas on how to sneak these protein bombs into a range of dishes. Recommended to bean experts and newbies alike.

Nintendo 3DS XL Power Adapter and Cradle (Nintendo 3DS)
Nintendo 3DS XL Power Adapter and Cradle (Nintendo 3DS)
Price: 19.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but pricey., 3 Oct 2013
It does the job well, and saves wear and tear on the DS power slot i.e. no plugging a cable directly into the handheld every night, just easily place the DS into the cradle. No pressing it in or fiddling around. But this device is way too expensive for a lump of plastic. There's no weighty, premium feel here. Having said that, it's well made - as all Nintendo stuff tends to be - and will likely last ages. Worth getting if you get over the ouch factor of that price and want to avoid wearing out the power socket of your 3DS.

Rayman Legends (Nintendo Wii U)
Rayman Legends (Nintendo Wii U)
Price: 17.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 Oct 2013
A beautiful, satisfying, delightful game. I found myself grinning while playing this; there are so many lovely touches. That's not to say it's a cutesy, easy kids game - as you might think from looking at screenshots - this is a challenging game for all levels of experience. I'm around halfway through and have had my fair share of swears at my TV. But every time you fail it's because you're not good enough and need more practise, you'll rarely doubt the games tight and responsive controls. Touchscreen levels are great too; it's easy to see that the WiiU was originally the only platform this game was destined for. It's very intuitive to cut ropes with a finger swipe, and move platforms with a drag, or pop baddies with a quick jab. It's incredible how these touchscreen levels flow so intuitively between more regular platforming, and are never unwelcome. Rayman also features daily challenges and leaderboards - the game is very generous with content overall. A quality product that's been tweaked and refined to perfection. Pure gaming bliss (and not a shotgun in sight, which makes for a nice change).

God of War 3 (PS3)
God of War 3 (PS3)
Offered by Future Gaming UK
Price: 13.82

4.0 out of 5 stars And end to the trilogy that couldn't have been better, 19 April 2013
This review is from: God of War 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
The third instalment in the God of War series (bar the PSP spinoffs) and the closing chapter to the trilogy (before Sony decided to create Ascension), this is a stunning goodbye to a series that's revelled in it's scale and journey as much as it's accessible, yet rewarding and challenging combat.

The previous GoW games squeezed every last drop of power from the Playstation 2, and GoW3 is no different in it's attitude on the PS3. Playing it now, some 3 years after it's original release, it's still got to be in the top 3 most impressive games I've ever seen, in terms of scale and graphical fidelity. From the pores on Kratos' skin to the screen filling bosses, this is stunning stuff and leaves me wondering: do we need the next gen yet?

Music, always a strong point in the series, is strong again here. Sound effects are meaty and satisfying and the enthusiastic voicework is very entertaining.

If you've played GoW1 or 2 then you'll be right at home here. The basic moveset and button map is the same, powerful, weighty stuff you've come to expect, but this time around there are new secondary weapons and magic attacks. You'll likely level up Kratos' famous blades and stick with them, and perhaps there's a little too many extras in the mix, but they're fun to experiment with anyway. Puzzles make a welcome return in a gaming landscape that tends to leave nothing to interpretation. You won't be stuck for long, but puzzles offer a welcome change of pace and pause for consideration.

It's very much GoW but bigger and in high def. No reboot or big shake-up here. Just what I wanted.

Razer Blackwidow 2013 Expert Mechanical Keyboard (UK version layout)
Razer Blackwidow 2013 Expert Mechanical Keyboard (UK version layout)
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals
Price: 89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but worth it, 19 April 2013
After making various upgrades to my PC recently to facilitate a faster and more creative working environment, my old Dell keyboard seemed like the weak link. I'm used to paying 20-30 for a decent keyboard, so the Razer was a big jump and an initially jarring change in expectations. Having received and used it for a few days I can heartily recommend it. The key presses have a very different feel from regular, spongy keyboard keys; these are definite and satisfying presses with a pleasing and distinct sound. I'm not quite sure why, but I do seem to generally type faster on the Razer.

Due to the row of macro buttons on the far left, I haven't quite been able to stop thinking they are ctrl, shift etc, when I'm in the flow of typing and not looking at the keys. I regularly make errors as I reach for ctrl and get a macro key instead. I'd have preferred the macro keys to be on the far right or between the main keys and the numpad, but I'm sure I'll get used to seeking left ctrl, left shift, caps lock etc. a vertical row further in than I'm used to. It's more jarring in these early stages because I have a regular keyboard at work, which means the furthest left keys for 8 hours a day are the ones you'd expect.

That aside, this is a premium piece of kit; pure luxury. Build quality is heavy and solid, in anti-fingerprint matte black. The cable is thick, insulated and a decent length.

One feature I wasn't expecting to bother with is the built-in headphone socket. Oddly enough, my speaker set decided to die a few days after I installed the keyboard (nothing to do with Razer, but my aged 7.1 had just lost the will to live). It was so handy to plug my headphones into the keyboard that I've decided not to replace my speakers, making for a very tidy work area with less clutter - previously my headphone lead wasn't long enough to reach the socket on the PC. The USB pass-through is very handy too for bunging a USB key in or other peripherals you perhaps don't tend to leave plugged in all the time, or swap out often. It saves rummaging behind the PC for a free port. There's a handy microphone socket too, which will please gamers and Skype users alike. The handy media keys give easy access to volume and other playback features, and I was using the skip etc. with VLC media player with no problem at all. You can also, via the Razer software, configure any key to do pretty much anything you want, and a handy gaming mode switches off troublesome keys that can accidentally get pressed while playing, such as the windows key.

Installation was easy, but you will need an internet connection. No CD is included so there's a compulsory driver download and account creation. But it takes very little time, and gives the added bonus of various key configurations and profiles being stored to Razer's cloud. I'm not a big PC gamer, but I can see this being very useful to those who want to set up different key functions for different games, and to have the portability that cloud saving represents.

Overall a great piece of equipment that I would say is worth the money. I'm sure I won't need to replace it for many years. The only real downside is that unfortunate macro key locations, but that's subjective and something I'm sure I'll overcome as I get used to my new keyboard.

I should also point out that the return/enter key is not as shown in the photos here, which I believe is the US layout. Don't worry, the keyboard shipped from Amazon to UK buyers is the usual UK layout you'll be used to, with a 2-row spanning return/enter button.

Rave Age
Rave Age
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting stuff, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Rave Age (MP3 Download)
I'm no expert music bod, and likely lack the skills and words to review an album, but I enjoyed Vitalic's last album and was hooked by Rave Age on my first listen. It's not a departure from what you've come to expect but I found the overall sound a little softer. There are more lyrics this time around, but don't let that put you off. This is stirring, satisfying stuff that will make you move but isn't afraid to occasionally drop the heavy beat and let the dark strings take over. A few tracks you may be inclined to skip on repeat listens, but I haven't succumbed yet.

Handheld Console - Red/Black (Nintendo 3DS XL)
Handheld Console - Red/Black (Nintendo 3DS XL)
Offered by CSC Distribution
Price: 177.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality. And perfect time to jump in., 27 Mar 2013
I've dipped in and out of the DS and 3DS over the years, jumping in too quickly in their life cycles when there weren't many noteworthy games around, but now is the perfect time to get into the 3DS as it's built up a decent game library. Quality games like Luigi's Mansion 2, Ocarina of Time, Mario 3D, Monster Hunter, and upcoming greats like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are compelling reasons to buy a unit now if you've been waiting for things to take off.

The machine itself is a joy to use. Excellent build quality feels like it could withstand nuclear war (I hope it doesn't have to, mind) and the menus and interface are beautifully designed and simple to use. The screens are a very decent size, and the whole thing has a weighty, quality feel that's pleasing in the hands.

The 3D effect's intensity can be adjusted with the slider on the right hand side of the upper screen. I find that a medium setting is perfect for me, since 100% makes my eyes feel a bit strained and I get a headache after a while. Everyone is different in this regard, and games are good enough that turning the 3D off completely doesn't mean you're missing out on some top entertainment. The famous 'glasses-less 3D' is a lovely feature though and very impressive. Objects appear to rise right off the screen or sink far back into it, as if the screen is a window into a box of objects; the depth of the box depends on that slider position.

It's a powerful little machine too and capable of pulling off impressive visuals. Any doubters should play the Resident Evil Revelations demo. Don't doubt that there will be big, 3D, immersive games to play on this. A lot of games on the DS were throwaway 2D distractions, but it seems the 3DS is gathering a nice library of richer, deeper games - the kind you'd typically expect to find on the big consoles. I have a feeling the 3DS is going to be the perfect place for JRPG fans, too.

Summary: a well made, quality product that will outlive you - there are some good 3DS games out there now, making this is a good time to get involved if you've been holding off - the red edition seems to be cheaper than other colours, making for an attractive proposition to those who are still unsure - a place for rich, 'proper' games and not just throwaway distractions

Wacom Intuos5 Pen and Touch Small Graphics Tablet
Wacom Intuos5 Pen and Touch Small Graphics Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Top quality tablet. Worth the price. Just., 27 Mar 2013
I'm a graphic designer and was lucky enough to be bought one of these by my boss at work and immediately fell in love with it, rarely using the mouse now, even for general computer use. The small size isn't really big enough to map to the dual-screen setup in the office (I'd recommend a medium for that), but it's such a joy to use that I wrestle with it all the same. A week later I ordered one for myself. Mapped to my one 24" screen at home it's perfect. Don't be put off by 'small'; it's a decent size and a lot bigger than the 50 Bamboo I had before. This is a professional product that's quite a few steps up from an entry-level Bamboo. The size is also perfect for small-medium desks or for resting on laps.

The tablet itself is very well built and sturdy, and very comfortable for resting wrists on. Dragging the well made, nicely grippable pen across has a slight sense of matte about it, since the tablet is not glossy or slippery; an ever-so-slight texture, that means it gives a nice, natural feedback, perhaps like drawing on thick, quality paper or card i.e. this doesn't feel tacky or lightweight.

The pen comes with spare and alternative nibs, my favourite being one with a tiny spring that gives the nib a bit of give when you press it, sort of like a felt tip. All extra nibs are neatly hidden away within the pen holder.

The Intuos5 (S) is perfect for graphics designers and digital artists, offering supreme accuracy, pressure sensitivity and all the inherent benefits of using an intuitive and natural device. The touch controls (effectively making the tablet double as a large tracking pad) are a valuable extra, and I was soon using my fingers to scroll and flick through web pages and documents. There's plenty of scope for configuration and I dare say I haven't scraped the surface yet (no pun intended).

Now, that price... You certainly get a premium quality product for those who want to do more than browse Youtube and, as I said, this is a few steps up from a hobbyist sub 50 Bamboo, but it seems particularly tight that Wacom didn't include wireless functionality out of the box and instead require customers to find another 30. I'm plugged in via the included and lengthy USB lead, which is fine as I have a desktop, but users who are on the road a lot will certainly fancy that wireless adapter. If the tablet had been but a few pennies more I'd probably have stuck to my mouse, much as I'd have hated to. But you get what you pay for, and I certainly don't feel ripped off. It just about hits the, "They're a bit pricey, but I love this thing" sweet spot.

Summary: Small is plenty big enough for a large single-screen setup - top build quality in tablet and pen - satisfying and accurate feel - touch input is a valuable extra and another reason to leave the mouse alone - Wacom are tight, so if you're the sort of user who travels a lot you'll want to keep that extra 30 in mind for the wireless kit - not recommended for the curious dabbler (try the cheaper, and very good, Wacom Bamboo first), but wholeheartedly recommended to photographers, designers and illustrators who already know they're married to Photoshop for the long haul

Having the Intuos5 (S) sitting on my desk will make me feel very guilty if I don't make the most of it to kick start some creative projects I've had on the back-burner for far too long. That's worth a few quid on its own.

Sony PlayStation DualShock 3 Controller (PS3)
Sony PlayStation DualShock 3 Controller (PS3)
Offered by Staraxe Ltd
Price: 36.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and well built, 8 Dec 2012
I bought this to replace an original model that came with my aging 60gig PS3. It seems Sony have tweaked the controller since then and I prefer it's slight matte finish that doesn't attract fingerprints and grease. The controller is as well made as ever, has a pleasant weight and is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Page: 1 | 2