Profile for Steve Lutz > Reviews

Content by Steve Lutz

Steve Lutz "Steve L" (England)

Dope Machines
Dope Machines

5.0 out of 5 stars A new synth sound, but still classic Airborne Toxic Event, 15 April 2015
This review is from: Dope Machines (Audio CD)
I'm a long time fan of The Airborne Toxic Event, but had missed this album on release date. I bought it on the day I was going to see them at Koko in London, listening to it for the first time on the train up to the gig. I absolutely love it, it's got more of a synth direction than previous albums, but still shows that Mikel Jollet has an excellent gift for for catchy, uplifting tunes. Album is great, gig was better, an instant favourite with me.

KS Tools 550.1032 Flexible Magnet, 400mm
KS Tools 550.1032 Flexible Magnet, 400mm

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver! Wouldn't be without it in my toolbox now., 13 Aug. 2014
I accidentally dropped a small component into the cavity of my motorcycle engine whilst replacing a cam-chain tensioner. Disaster - I was facing a hefty bill to drop the engine out and take it apart, but before doing so decided to try this. Two hours of careful fishing about to locate the part gave the satisfying chink of metal on magnet and I was able to retrieve the offending part - saved me a heap of cash! It is narrow enough to get into a very onfined space, yet has a decent strength to pick things up.

Sony SBH20 Stereo Bluetooth 3.0 Headset - NFC A2DP AVRCP Multipoint - Black
Sony SBH20 Stereo Bluetooth 3.0 Headset - NFC A2DP AVRCP Multipoint - Black
Offered by Decrescent

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for listening on the move, 13 Aug. 2014
Really, really pleased with this set-up. I listen to music on my motorcycle whilst commuting, and oer the years have tried all sorts of configs including expensive bluetooth helmet speakers, but find that I still get too much wind noise over the music.

With this I have no such issues. I have my iPhone on a waterproof handlebar mount (specifically so I can turn down volume at traffic junctions to hear emergency vehicles) but once on the move turn it up and have crystal clear in-helmet sound via the headphones. There is nothing wrong with the supplied Sony headphones for general off-bike use, but I did find them a tad uncomfortable when pressed into my ears by the helmet inner, so have swapped to my trusty old Sennhesiers, which are just a bit more suited to my inner ear shape. I now have tunes on the move without the annoyance of any trailing wires.

Battery life is good, it charges very quickly from a supplied USB lead.

Laser 5093 Disc Brake Piston Spreader
Laser 5093 Disc Brake Piston Spreader
Offered by AIMTools Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, well made., 13 Aug. 2014
Great tool - replaced the pads on our Honda FR-V with no trouble. Very well made and easy to use, wish I'd bought one of these years ago rather than struggle with other tools.

Animal Heart
Animal Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars It's generally good, I like most of it, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Animal Heart (Audio CD)
I saw Nina at Glastonbury 2014, where she performed many tracks from this record, leading me to buy it. It's generally good, I like most of it, but tails off a bit towards the end.

The Districts
The Districts

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic debut, love this record, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Districts (Audio CD)
I stumbled across The Districts whilst planning on which new bands to see at a couple of festivals this summer. This short album is absolutely superb, 'Lyla' is my favourite track. Hopefully the start of great things for them.

A Flash of Darkness
A Flash of Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous album for old and new fans alike, 5 May 2014
This review is from: A Flash of Darkness (Audio CD)
I'll be honest here: I didn't want to like this album. At their height I loved The Bluetones, but like the rest of Britpop they found their audience dwindling. I was therefore pleased that on the downward slope of their curve, they were playing smaller venues including one in my home town a few years back. Mark introduced the band and made a churlish, snidey remark about 'having to come out to play the provinces.' It might have been intended as a joke, but that comment and the other small bits of crowd interaction that night made him come across as angry, arrogant and having an enormous chip on his shoulder. Talk about disaffecting your audience - I pretty much stopped listening to The Bluetones and ignored his first solo record as a consequence.

Perhaps he was having a bad day? Perhaps he was struggling with them not being as 'big' as they had been? Perhaps it was just an ironic joke that didn't come across well? Maybe I was being too sensitive? Anyway, I kicked all that aside and decided to give a Flash of Darkness a listen. I'm so glad I did, it's excellent. He's a great songwriter, writes a very catchy guitar tune and has a very distinctive voice. 'Consuela' is my stand out favourite track but it's all great stuff. I'm glad to see he's back on the road playing smaller venues - I prefer him to be playing those - and this album is an absolute treat, can't wait to catch it live.

I bought this the same day as the new Embrace album, one of his peers from back in the day. I've played this more than twenty times, Embrace once.

Only by the Night
Only by the Night
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album to date, but maybe not for the die-hards, 26 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
I've got the previous three albums and whilst I'm a fan of the hits on them, I wouldn't describe myself as a massive KoL fan...more 'an appreciater'. However, having seen them go down well at Glastonbury and V Festivals this summer I was expecting great things from this new album and haven't been disappointed.

Yes, it probably is a bit more mainstream than their previous albums but is that necessarily a bad thing? I read an interview with Caleb Followill where he said they were tired of being big outside of the USA, but not so big at home, perhaps they've taken a different tack to address that issue?

I also think there are a lot of armchair Zane Lowe's out there who love nothing more than praising a band when they have a cult-level following, then criticisng them when they achieve any kind of mainstream recognition...we all know the type! I suspect some of the negative reviews on here come from that standpoint.