Profile for Mr. D McGrath > Reviews

IZIBOR, LAURA-LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
IZIBOR, LAURA-LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING debut!!!!, 29 April 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first review for the Amazon Vine project. Reviewing releases of your favourite artists or a release you already have is easy. But reviewing a release by an artist I have never heard of before is both daunting and exciting.

However....in the case of LAURA IZIBOR I struck lucky!!!!! Liked this on the first listen but in order to review it properly for my fellow Amazon users, I have listened to it twice since then and it gets better with every listen. A lovely mixture of upbeat and ballad. I have always liked my "divas" and I have always gone for black female singers with powerful vocals. Laura is young and it's great to see her doing something different. Hip hop and rap is not for a 40 year old music listener, so i was a bit worried. But halfway through this album I knew I had nothing to worry about!!! My favourite track on this album....."Yes (I'll Be Your Baby). This album has sincerety stamped all over it and LAURA IZIBOR had better get used to being a BIG STAR. This is going to be the summer listen for 2009. Even though Amazon Vine sent me this as a promo for me to keep....i am still going to invest in a official copy. My ONLY criticism of this album is that, at 38 minutes long, it is CRIMINALLy too short!!!!

Kim Wilde
Kim Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars REISSUE HEAVEN, 24 April 2009
This review is from: Kim Wilde (Audio CD)
As a Kim Wilde fan since the beginning, you have to give Cherry Pop records 11/10 for this BRILLIANT reissue!!!! Not only inclusion of the non-album "b" sides but the booklet with pictures and lyrics and original 80s comments from Kim about the tracks made me punch the air!!! The reissue of Select is JUST as good and I have already put myself down for the 3rd album Catch As Catch Can which is getting the same treatment!!!!

I just really hope the rest of Kim's back catalogue is going to get the same treatment!!!!

Fascination!
Fascination!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 9 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Fascination! (MP3 Download)
Us UK Leaguers have waited a LONG time to see this US/Canadian only release from 1983. Ok we all have it either on vinyl or cassette (I have both!!!)but I really wanted an official CD of this but beggars can't be choosers. Since "Total Panic" is the "B" side of "(Keep Feeling)Fascination" this should have been on here too! The "Rarities" CD features most of this anyway.

Great to see the League still selling out gigs in 2008 - and yes, new studio material is imminent!

My all-time fave band for the last 28 years (since I was 12) and I can't see that changing!

Original Remixes and Rarities
Original Remixes and Rarities

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's even this up., 31 Oct. 2008
As a Human League die-hard since the age of 12 (and i'll be 40 in 2009)these reviews need balancing up. This release was intended for the die-hard fans ONLY - not the casual fan. Casuals fans won't want "b" sides or anything from an old master tape found in a cupboard from 20 years ago.

I for one was really pleased to see this released - great to finally have "You Remind Me Of Gold" on CD and "Total Panic" which I had on a 3" cd single that got worn out.

Yes...Virgin records COULD have done a better job of the track listing - a lot of stuff left off here (and why wasn't their back catalogue re-released in the UK with these tracks on anyway...like America got. Had to get them on import)

Great artwork though - nice play on the Secrets album - a fantastic Human League release. Having seen them in concert MANY times - The Human League will ALWAYS be my band.

Birds Of A Feather: Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Birds Of A Feather: Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Pauline Quirke
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars BIRDS BOXSET, 22 Sept. 2008
I love this series, as do countless other people. Unfortunately, the rights to the series are owned by Fremantle Media who have decided that because the first season which came out on DVD didn't sell a great deal (hardly surprising since it wasn't advertised or marketed)they won't release it as a DVD box set to include all the Christmas specials. It may also have something to do with Fremantle having to pay royalties to the artists whose music appeared in the series. It is obviously too much trouble to edit the music out.

Birds of a Feather is one of the GREATEST sitcoms ever made - yet whilst all the other great sitcoms have had a DVD box set (Keeping Up Appearances, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Allo Allo, Will & Grace to name but a few)Birds of a Feather continues to be kept under lock and key. Travesty.

Birds Of A Feather - Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Birds Of A Feather - Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Linda Robson

5.0 out of 5 stars BIRDS BOXSET, 4 Sept. 2008

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2010 11:34 PM BST

Sweet Originals: THE BEST 37 GLAMROCK SONGS EVER
Sweet Originals: THE BEST 37 GLAMROCK SONGS EVER

5.0 out of 5 stars ULTIMATE SWEET, 2 Sept. 2008
I was only four years old in 1973 but was always exposed to the music of the time as I have two older sisters. If I had been FOURTEEN in 1973 then THE SWEET would DEFINITELY have been my band.

The last six months or so has seen me really get into their music, having invested in all the album reissues on CD and a stack of DVDs from an official Sweet site. What I love about this CD is the fact it has 37 of their very best recordings all on one collection. Watching old footage of the band, you really see what set them apart from other bands of the day - BOY could they play. Mick Tucker, God bless him, was one SERIOUSLY skillful drummer. It wasn't just the music....they looked great as well. Despite any derogatory comment, they just went out looking even more outrageous than ever. Whereas so much of today's music is forgettable, THE SWEET will never sound dated.

Ultimate Collection
Ultimate Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars REMASTERED...and then some!!!!, 5 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
As a long-time PB fan, I rolled my eyes skywards to see yet ANOTHER greatest hits collection (yet I know that, just like Donna Summer, PB has no control over this)

However, to hear these very familiar tracks with such SUPERIOR remastering is like hearing them for the first time. AWESOME!!!!

If 20 quid for the import 2CD set is putting you off, do what I did and buy a new and used instead!

And if EMI/Capitol should read this - how about an official CD release for her extended mixes from the 1980s!!! "Sex As A Weapon" in its extended form and remix form are both BRILLIANT and would sound even better on a remastered CD!! Bring it on!!!

Ultimate Disco Party
Ultimate Disco Party
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars DISCO HEAVEN!!!!, 23 July 2008
This review is from: Ultimate Disco Party (Audio CD)
WOAH!!!! This has got to be the GREATEST Disco compilation!!! Great to have SO many great tunes on ONE collection - this is no bog-standard disco compilation. Whoever compiled this has really done their research. For me it's just TWO tracks short of being PHENOM ("Romeo & Juliet" by Love & Kisses and "Doctor Love" by Tina Charles)

Anyone with a party coming up.......buy this and all your music worries will be sorted!!!

It's Better To Travel
It's Better To Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars Total class!!!, 25 Jun. 2008
This review is from: It's Better To Travel (Audio CD)
I bought this album way back in 1987 on cassette (remember them!!!) after buying "Breakout" as a single. Nothing nicer when you buy an album by a new artist and you get straight into it. LOVE "Twilight World" - my fave on the whole album. It gets right under my skin in the nicest possible way. Still sounds as good now as it did way back in 1987!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2012 12:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8