Profile for Mr. D McGrath > Reviews

Select
Select
Price: 9.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Another welcome reissue, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Select (Audio CD)
Bearing in mind that the CD versions of Kim's first three albums were changing hands on Ebay for silly money, all of us Kim Wilde fans from around the world should give Cherry Pop Records a huge round of applause!!!!

Like the reissue of her first album, and the recent reissue of her third "Catch As Catch Can", Cherry Pop have done a blinding job with the remastering and the addition of bonus tracks. If any artist was due a catalogue overhaul...it was Kim Wilde.

Fingers crossed the rest of her catalogue will get the same treatment.........and better still, a COMPLETE promo video collection on DVD!!!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2009 10:04 PM GMT

Red Hot Rhythm & Blues
Red Hot Rhythm & Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars A "SUPREME" recording, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
Definitely the best thing Diana Ross released in the 1980s. I can remember buying this on cassette in 1987 becuase I liked the cover and I love her 70s recordings.........and what an album!!!!! This album is RED HOT and no mistake.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2011 6:36 PM BST

Catch As Catch Can
Catch As Catch Can
Price: 9.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Cherry Pop Records does it again!!!!!, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Catch As Catch Can (Audio CD)
FULL MARKS again to Cherry Pop Records for this STUNNING reissue of Kim Wilde's third and rarest album releases on CD - now we don't have to pay a fortune on Ebay for the Japanese issue or the equally rare UK boxed set which I had and wasn't all that. Whoever remastered this album deserves a knighthood.......I managed to hear instruments that I couldn't hear on the box set cd issue of this brilliant album. Definitely the best of Kim's early EMI albums, standout tracks for me are "Sparks" and "Back Street Joe" but the fact that this reissue now runs at just over an hour thanks to the welcome inclusion of FIVE bonus tracks makes it all more worth the money.

I have hankered after this album as a proper CD release for a LONG time. If only Cherry Pop would now give the rest of Kim's MCA back catalogue the same treatment. Kim issued loads of non-album "B" sides whilst with MCA and it would be great to see them compiled on each respective album.

Who knows.....we might even get a COMPLETE promo video compilation on DVD if we all pray very hard!!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2012 2:30 PM GMT

IZIBOR, LAURA-LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
IZIBOR, LAURA-LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING debut!!!!, 29 April 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first review for the Amazon Vine project. Reviewing releases of your favourite artists or a release you already have is easy. But reviewing a release by an artist I have never heard of before is both daunting and exciting.

However....in the case of LAURA IZIBOR I struck lucky!!!!! Liked this on the first listen but in order to review it properly for my fellow Amazon users, I have listened to it twice since then and it gets better with every listen. A lovely mixture of upbeat and ballad. I have always liked my "divas" and I have always gone for black female singers with powerful vocals. Laura is young and it's great to see her doing something different. Hip hop and rap is not for a 40 year old music listener, so i was a bit worried. But halfway through this album I knew I had nothing to worry about!!! My favourite track on this album....."Yes (I'll Be Your Baby). This album has sincerety stamped all over it and LAURA IZIBOR had better get used to being a BIG STAR. This is going to be the summer listen for 2009. Even though Amazon Vine sent me this as a promo for me to keep....i am still going to invest in a official copy. My ONLY criticism of this album is that, at 38 minutes long, it is CRIMINALLy too short!!!!

Kim Wilde
Kim Wilde
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars REISSUE HEAVEN, 24 April 2009
This review is from: Kim Wilde (Audio CD)
As a Kim Wilde fan since the beginning, you have to give Cherry Pop records 11/10 for this BRILLIANT reissue!!!! Not only inclusion of the non-album "b" sides but the booklet with pictures and lyrics and original 80s comments from Kim about the tracks made me punch the air!!! The reissue of Select is JUST as good and I have already put myself down for the 3rd album Catch As Catch Can which is getting the same treatment!!!!

I just really hope the rest of Kim's back catalogue is going to get the same treatment!!!!

Fascination!
Fascination!
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 9 Dec 2008
This review is from: Fascination! (MP3 Download)
Us UK Leaguers have waited a LONG time to see this US/Canadian only release from 1983. Ok we all have it either on vinyl or cassette (I have both!!!)but I really wanted an official CD of this but beggars can't be choosers. Since "Total Panic" is the "B" side of "(Keep Feeling)Fascination" this should have been on here too! The "Rarities" CD features most of this anyway.

Great to see the League still selling out gigs in 2008 - and yes, new studio material is imminent!

My all-time fave band for the last 28 years (since I was 12) and I can't see that changing!

Original Remixes and Rarities
Original Remixes and Rarities
Price: 7.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's even this up., 31 Oct 2008
As a Human League die-hard since the age of 12 (and i'll be 40 in 2009)these reviews need balancing up. This release was intended for the die-hard fans ONLY - not the casual fan. Casuals fans won't want "b" sides or anything from an old master tape found in a cupboard from 20 years ago.

I for one was really pleased to see this released - great to finally have "You Remind Me Of Gold" on CD and "Total Panic" which I had on a 3" cd single that got worn out.

Yes...Virgin records COULD have done a better job of the track listing - a lot of stuff left off here (and why wasn't their back catalogue re-released in the UK with these tracks on anyway...like America got. Had to get them on import)

Great artwork though - nice play on the Secrets album - a fantastic Human League release. Having seen them in concert MANY times - The Human League will ALWAYS be my band.

Birds Of A Feather: Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Birds Of A Feather: Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Pauline Quirke
Offered by BAZZMEDIA
Price: 3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars BIRDS BOXSET, 22 Sep 2008
I love this series, as do countless other people. Unfortunately, the rights to the series are owned by Fremantle Media who have decided that because the first season which came out on DVD didn't sell a great deal (hardly surprising since it wasn't advertised or marketed)they won't release it as a DVD box set to include all the Christmas specials. It may also have something to do with Fremantle having to pay royalties to the artists whose music appeared in the series. It is obviously too much trouble to edit the music out.

Birds of a Feather is one of the GREATEST sitcoms ever made - yet whilst all the other great sitcoms have had a DVD box set (Keeping Up Appearances, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Allo Allo, Will & Grace to name but a few)Birds of a Feather continues to be kept under lock and key. Travesty.

Birds Of A Feather - Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Birds Of A Feather - Series 1 [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Linda Robson
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars BIRDS BOXSET, 4 Sep 2008

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2010 11:34 PM BST

Sweet Originals: THE BEST 37 GLAMROCK SONGS EVER
Sweet Originals: THE BEST 37 GLAMROCK SONGS EVER
Offered by dutchtoni
Price: 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars ULTIMATE SWEET, 2 Sep 2008
I was only four years old in 1973 but was always exposed to the music of the time as I have two older sisters. If I had been FOURTEEN in 1973 then THE SWEET would DEFINITELY have been my band.

The last six months or so has seen me really get into their music, having invested in all the album reissues on CD and a stack of DVDs from an official Sweet site. What I love about this CD is the fact it has 37 of their very best recordings all on one collection. Watching old footage of the band, you really see what set them apart from other bands of the day - BOY could they play. Mick Tucker, God bless him, was one SERIOUSLY skillful drummer. It wasn't just the music....they looked great as well. Despite any derogatory comment, they just went out looking even more outrageous than ever. Whereas so much of today's music is forgettable, THE SWEET will never sound dated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8