Profile for Mel R. Scurbica > Reviews

Above the Street Below the Water [DVD]
Above the Street Below the Water [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Here to Recommend, 1 Jun. 2016
I love Danish TV dramas like Borgen, so I thought I'd give this a try. There aren't many actors in Denmark, so if you've seen the popular TV shows, you'll recognize most of the actors in this movie, including the kid from Borgen, who also plays Sidse Babett Knudson's son here.

There's just not a lot going on here. Scenes from different people's lives that are interconnected, but no real character development. The screenplay is short on dialog and the director believes you can substitute lingering closeup shots for action or dialog. It doesn't work

Feersum Endjinn
Feersum Endjinn
by Iain M. Banks

1.0 out of 5 stars Feersum Warning, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Feersum Endjinn (Paperback)
When I read this book, I was a huge fan of the author. I even wrote a "fan" letter many years ago, to which he graciously replied. I'm a writer, myself. (Don't bother googling me, this isn't my real name and I'm not famous). So you know where I'm coming from when I say I didn't care for this book at all.

I'm not a fan of experimental literature. I've never read Finnegan's Wake and I never will. I didn't enjoy reading the sections that were written out phonetically in text-speak. Actually, it made for painful reading.

I can't imagine how anyone could give this book more than two stars and dismiss it as a failed experiment, but as they say: De gustibus non est disputandum.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2014 11:52 PM GMT

Cruise of the Gods [DVD] [2002]
Cruise of the Gods [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Rob Brydon

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 20 April 2013
This film, while not the best or the most funny that I've seen, is entertaining enough to garner a recommendation. Great for 90 minutes, especially if you don't expect too much. The Children of Castor sequences are hilarious, and David Walliams was great as the weirdo fanboy.

FAQ About Time Travel [DVD]
FAQ About Time Travel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Faris
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Horrible, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: FAQ About Time Travel [DVD] (DVD)
I suppose I'm damning this film with faint praise when I say it's not horrible.

Having said that, the story doesn't really deliver much. There's some humor, but only just some. Most of what happens in the film isn't explained. The maguffin (look it up) is never really shown to the audience or adequately explained. I kept waiting for explanations but they never came. The ending is either a total cop out or a setup for a sequel that will never get made because film companies don't make sequels to movies that no one has ever seen or heard of.

Still, there's enough there to provide some entertainment, and as I said, it's not horrible. Actual rating: 2.5 stars.