Profile for Gabby > Reviews

Content by Gabby

Gabby "Gabby" (Birmingham, Warwickshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
We Love Machine
We Love Machine

4.0 out of 5 stars More solid stuff from WOW - but strangely disappointing..., 23 Sep 2009
This review is from: We Love Machine (MP3 Download)
I've been a fan of Way Out West pretty much since their first self titled album - I even wrote an Amazon review of it! My views haven't changed since that review. This music is gold for those who enjoy electronic music in the vein of Pet Shop Boys, but with a bit more edge and less lyrics.

The only thing I find with this album though, is it is lacking somewhere. There are solid tracks, sure, but the mid section is awash with the same stuff WOW have been doing for years, and this wreaks of laziness, rather than any attempt to move forward and produce something more exciting. There are some attempts to be more retro with some analogue synths - the opening track is a blinder in this respect - but after that it doesn't expand on that.

It's hard to criticise though, as every track is fabulous. I liken that sentiment to other disappointments this year from Pet Shop Boys ("Yes") and Lightning Seeds ("Four Winds"). Absolutely nothing wrong with the songs, but when did these bands lose their creative guts?

4 stars because there's really nothing to criticise here, but lose a star for creative cowardice!

Also, if you order from WOW's website you can download the whole album NOW and have the CD mailed to you on it's October release...and they have some nice deluxe editions available too!

Never Cry Another Tear
Never Cry Another Tear

3.0 out of 5 stars Proper review, 21 Sep 2009
This review is from: Never Cry Another Tear (Audio CD)
So, my original, "before I heard the album", review is below - but now I have heard the album and my 3 stars was pretty accurate! There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the songs and there are several very nice tracks, but I don't find this to be a patch on anything Electronic did, and surprised as I am to say this, it does lack that certain something that I think only Hooky can bring to the table to make it remotely New Order-ish.

Also, I am thinking Bernard Sumner's lyric's are getting very repetitive lately. Count how many tracks on this have some permutation of "Hey you" "Hey there" "Hey what you doing" and then go listen to New Order's album "Waiting for the Sirens Call" and do it again!

"Hey Bernard, what you doing writing the same lyric over and over again?"

In spite of this it's still a nice album, but a great album it is not. I'd welcome more Electronic over this, and a full reunion of New Order (Gillian included).

And here is my original review:-

Bernard Sumner seems to have a knack of being in supergroups. If there was a Fantasy Rockband like the Fantasy Football, he'd be a top pick to have on your side, having notched success with Joy Division, New Order, Electronic and now, maybe, Bad Lieutenant. His knack for chumming with the great and the good of his peers makes people like me drool at the prospect of these kinds of collaborations - working with members of The Smiths, Smashing Pumpkins, Pet Shop Boys, Blur and guesting as vocalist on a wide range of other bands projects, keeps this guy very much in the muscial loop.

So what do we have here? No idea! I have heard the single, Sink Or Swim, and have to admit it's fairly pedestrian as an opening track, hence my three star rating, but maybe that's why they didn't mind giving it away as a free download?! If this comes close to anything Electronic have done then I shall be happy enough, and just knowing that Sumner, along with New Order bandmates Morris and Cunningham are involved is enough to make me buy this without a thought of sampling it first.

What does make me nervous is knowing that Sumner is not the only lead vocalist on this album and it seems almost unthinkable now that he would make a record without singing everything himself. That said take "Disappointed" by Electronic as a case in point, where Neil Tennant took over vocal duties. That is a cracking song and no worse for the fact that Sumner didn't provide vocals. So it all remains to be seen.

I know people will flame me for reviewing without listening to this album, but having heard the lead single from it, I expect it to be much of the same, so three stars it is. I've got low expectations so hopfully I will be pleasantly surprised.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2009 7:19 PM BST

Very Introspective, Actually - A Pet Shop Boys Tribute
Very Introspective, Actually - A Pet Shop Boys Tribute

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dreadful!, 20 July 2001
I am a BIG PSB fan...and before anyone judges, I like a wide range of music. This has to be the worst collection of PSB covers I have ever heard. I can't even begin to describe how bad this is. Two songs stand out for me as the best, So Hard (mainly for it's cheap silliness) and Jealousy which is in fact sung beautifully here. The rest is pretty much plain awful. If you want quality PSB covers, try the B side of Carter USM's single "Rubbish" which has an amazing cover of "Rent", Robbie Williams "Let Me Entertain You" which has a cover of "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing", Liza Minnelli's "Results" album, produced by PSB and with two great PSB oldies covered wonderfully. Seek them out and forget this unmitigated pile of poo!

Please/Further Listening 1984-1986
Please/Further Listening 1984-1986
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Rerelease to end all rereleases!, 9 May 2001
"Please" was the first PSB album, and in itself is a rare gem of classy, moody tracks far removed from the "Go West" anthems of recent years. However, this re-release (along with their next 5 studio albums) comes with a new 2nd CD with B-sides, unreleased or until now never released on CD tracks and remixes. This makes it one of the most worthwhile times to buy PSB albums as you can not only sample their old material if you are unfamiliar with it, but also hear their much rarer output over the last 15 years some of which is superior to their better known singles. "Please" is much more raw than their later albums, but doesn't carry too much of that embarrassingly 80's sound. These are songs that are still strong today, and as relevent as ever. This is a classic album not only of the 80's but of the 20th century.

Way Out West
Way Out West
Offered by Prestivo2

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Gift, 11 April 2001
This review is from: Way Out West (Audio CD)
I received this CD as a birthday present. I was a bit shocked at first since I'd never heard of Way Out West let alone knowingly heard any of their music. However, I listened to this CD non-stop in my car for many weeks thereafter because it is absolutely fantastic! The reason it was bought for me was because I am a big (and I mean big) Pet Shop Boys fan and although some might be shocked to hear this, the material on here sounds very similar to PSB, along the lines of their amazing limited edition dance album Relentless. I would urge anyone who likes this to seek out Relentless or some PSB remixed material which would stand along side this without any trouble at all. If you are a PSB fan who just happens to be reading this, buy Way Out West - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Electronic
Electronic

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few CD's in my collection without a duff track!, 11 April 2001
This review is from: Electronic (Audio CD)
OK, this CD's been out for years, but I recently went through my whole collection, and can wholeheartedly say that this is one of the few CD's I have where there is not one bad track. I can happily listen to the whole CD from start to finish without skipping a tune. The only one that comes close is New Order's "Technique". I am a rabid Pet Shop Boys fan and even they can not achieve an album without a track I dislike! Obviously it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but if you like New Order, The Smiths or the Pet Shop Boys I would be surprised if you were disappointed with this gem. It's a shame Electronic's second and third albums did not match up to this calibre, although they also contain some cracking songs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 11:52 AM GMT

Pet Shop Boys: Somewhere - In Concert [DVD] [1997]
Pet Shop Boys: Somewhere - In Concert [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Chris Lowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate first DVD release for PSB, 5 April 2001
It's a shame really - the PSB's have always embraced new technology, and DVD should be no exception which is why I'm surprised this is their first DVD release. I went to one of the concerts at the Savoy and it was amazing, but because the venue is so small, you can't expect the audio and the video to be particularly good to start with. The documentary is nice, but there are zero options comparitively to the VHS release except for being able to pick out your favourite tunes. I'd much rather see their promotional videos on DVD with some background info on the songs/videos to set it apart from VHS. Also It Couldn't Happen Here should be released as a limited DVD, although I'm biased as I am probably one of the few who actually likes the film! Anyway, I don't think there's much point in quibbling about the sound and video aspects of this DVD. It would have been better to release an older live concert on DVD which was filmed at a larger venue. As it stands I think it's fine but just not overly special.

Page: 1 | 2