Profile for JIGardiner > Reviews

The Grand Budapest Hotel [DVD]
The Grand Budapest Hotel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Fiennes

2.0 out of 5 stars Ghastly, 27 April 2015
I didn't fancy this film when it came out but after all the hype and Oscar nominations I thought I might be wrong and should see it. I'm sorry to say that I disliked it more than I originally expected. I hated the sets, many potentially funny scenes just didn't seem to take off and I really didn't care about the characters or the story. It just left me cold. I can't believe it had so many nominations for awards.

Sweets Made Simple
Sweets Made Simple
by Miss Hope

5.0 out of 5 stars Super new hobby!, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sweets Made Simple (Hardcover)
Bought this as a gift and it was very well received. Several recipes have been tried which went down well with family and friends. Very easy to follow with delicious results. Chili lime chocolate is the winner so far!

The Complete Lampshade Kit: 100 Stunning Shades to Make and Decorate
The Complete Lampshade Kit: 100 Stunning Shades to Make and Decorate
by Heather Luke

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 7 Dec. 2014
The good bit : the book explains basic methods of making card shades and contains pattern templates that can be sized up to your requirements. this is information that does not date. More information could have been given on types of card used and other basic materials.
The disappointing part was that the designs in the book are truly awful and look very 'home-made' by an amateur. Yes, I know the book is old but these designs could never have been desirable when the book was published.

Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell?
Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell?
by Horace Greasley

2.0 out of 5 stars this could have been so much better, 28 April 2014
This could have been a really interesting and valuable account of life in the POW camps. When I picked it up I was intrigued to find out how Horace escaped so many times. However the whole writing style made me question the veracity of the story. Far too much explicit detail of sexual activity (clearly writer's embellishment/imagination) and 'verbatim' conversations between a host of different characters which could only have been imagined left me doubtful about the whole story. There are so many questions I wanted to ask about the day to day life in the camp whilst all the 'dering do' was going on. - not
I can't believe that Mr Greasley could possibly have invented his exploits, as to do so would dishonour the memory of those who fought and 'didn't talk about the war', however, I believe he has been ill served by Mr Scott who has sensationalised what could have been an exciting and touching account.
This will make a good film just not the great one it could be.

Orchid Focus Repotting Mix - 3L
Orchid Focus Repotting Mix - 3L

4.0 out of 5 stars Orchid potting compost., 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Orchid Focus Repotting Mix - 3L
Repotted my orchid in this - it did the job. Good mix of growing material. However, still waiting for it to re- flower.

30cm Beech Toast tong
30cm Beech Toast tong
Offered by Neway247

4.0 out of 5 stars No more burnt fingers!, 30 Oct. 2013
Very useful, although rather large. Can retrieve toast without electric shocks or burnt fingers. these are very long so could be shorter and thinner for an average toaster.

Simply Tango (2CD)
Simply Tango (2CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tangotastic!, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Simply Tango (2CD) (Audio CD)
A superb range of tango music at a bargain price. Very danceable but also relaxing if you just want to chill out. Good disc to practice your Argentine Tango moves to. It doesn't sound like a bargain compilation and sound is good quality.

The Angel's Game
The Angel's Game
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to have to read this again., 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Hardcover)
Shadow of the wind is now one of my favourite books so when I saw 'The Angel's Game' in a Granada book shop last year I couldn't wait for the English translation to come out. The Angel's Game drew me in intially, although I was disappointed with the lack of interesting characters - it lacks a Fermin-, but half way through I felt let down. It was almost as if the author had lost interest in his own story and was struggling to keep it going.
I shall have to read this again to see if I 'lost the plot' but it definitely disappointed after 'Shadow of the Wind'.

Tagine
Tagine
by Ghillie Basan

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering!, 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Tagine (Hardcover)
A fabulous little book! I can honestly say that I will make everyone of the recipes in this book, unlike many of the others I own. The photographs made my mouth water and I couldn't wait to start cooking.The recipes that I have made have been delicious and authentic tasting. Thoroughly recommended.