Profile for Carolyn Johnson > Reviews

Content by Carolyn Johnson

Carolyn Johnson (Bucks, UK)

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Spencer Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the 'mature' among you!, 15 Nov 2012
If you have never experienced change, particularly change you weren't expecting, or change which took something important away, then this book will highlight the basics, and I mean the basics, of what you will need to be resilient, find a new path and a positive attitude again. That's if you can put up with the cheese-laden story on the way (the good news is that the book is thin and will take less than an hour to read, and the only content is the cheese story plus a few people sitting round discussing what it might mean...).

If you have experienced change and are hoping to find out what insights other people can give into change, then do not buy this book - you are already too mature.

For anyone who knows a little about change, you already know more than this book can tell you.

French: With Exercises: A Handbook of Grammar, Current Usage and Word Power (Cassell Language Guides)
by Valerie Worth-Stylianou

5.0 out of 5 stars This book got me all my high grades!, 4 Feb 2007
I just came across this book whilst looking for something else, and remembered how fantastic it was! It used it for A-Level French and my university degree in French language, and to teach an A-level student (private classes) who came on in leaps and bounds with it.

Good explanations and nice friendly layout, making all the difficult bits much easier to grasp! And let's face it, anything that eases the gruelling task of learning grammar has got to be good!

They know how to charge for it these days, I notice...

Let's Sing and Learn in Spanish  (Book + Audio CD)
Let's Sing and Learn in Spanish (Book + Audio CD)
by Neraida Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Language good, songs appalling!, 4 Feb 2007
This book/CD set comprises numerous short songs sung in spanish by spanish children. The book includes a simple music score (on one line, for flute/recorder/one hand on the piano!) and the words, with examples of further verses (should you wish to make the songs longer than the version on the CD), good diagrams of actions, and opportunities to add some percussion instruments. The idea behind the set is very good - giving the children a chance to really join in, making language fun for children. This is where the set earns 2 stars!

I bought the French version of this book, and felt that the songs were great for children to listen to, but a bit advanced in it's language - well, this spanish version is the opposite!

The songs on the CD are awful - the quality of the recording is very poor, the tunes are non-descript and sometimes the words are unclear. It's a shame as the songs are about such great things as colours, numbers, greetings and other useful basic language.

I would say that this book is only worth buying if you yourself are musical and will play the songs with your children/class - so as to avoid the awful CD. If your children can read, they might pick up quite a bit from reading the transcript as the CD is playing - but they could equally learn the same information from better resources.

First Fun With French [1994] [DVD]
First Fun With French [1994] [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, but great price!, 1 Sep 2006
Firstly, my 4 year old does request to watch this DVD, and I notice she has picked up some of the words. She doesn't watch it all the way through now (she did the first few times), so she's very good at the French introduced in the first half! So it can't be 'too bad' - BUT:

I thought this DVD was pretty basic. Essentially it is just a long list of vocabulary accompanied by poor animation and voiceovers. I was really surprised at the lack of quality - and have only kept it as the price was so good (would never pay the full price for it!).

There's no fluency at all, just words - but I suppose the viewer hears a real French accent, which young children pick up well.

I think very small children and upwards are capable of absorbing so much - and the DVD could have been so much more. I bought Where's Boo! on DVD a while ago, and although it's a programme shown on English tv, there was a French option on the DVD - and it's great. Usborne ought to have a look at that, then go back and sort out poor Isabel!!

Let's Sing and Learn in French (Book + Audio)
Let's Sing and Learn in French (Book + Audio)
by Matt Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for fluency, hard for grown-ups!, 1 Sep 2006
I bought this CD/book when my daughter was 3. I kept the CD in the car and within 4 or 5 playings was astounded to hear a little voice singing along in the back seat! The words weren't completely articulated as she couldn't understand them, but all the sounds were there. I was so proud...

The songs leave a lot to be desired from an adult point of view - but my daughter loves them, especially Le Chat Angora, Rock n'Roll Frere Jacques and Comment Ca-va?

Another reviewer thought the level of French was hard for a 3-6 year old, which I agree with, but I would also say that this CD can grow with your child, from the gaining a grasp of the way French sounds, to detailed understanding a few years later (if you can bear to listen to them for that long!).

The book is a bit strange as the piano accompaniment is printed, with all the French words, and a translation into English at the back. This is completely useless for my now-4-year-old, but I guess she will read it when older.