Profile for trfh > Reviews

Content by trfh

trfh

Sequentia: Hildegard Von Bingen
Sequentia: Hildegard Von Bingen

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are expecting more than downloads on CD - then don't buy this box set, 26 Dec. 2013
When I opened the box I was nonplussed when I could find absolutely nothing in the box except the CDs. My first thought was "Oh, someone's forgotten to put them in, but Amazon will sort that out soon enough". So, when I came back to my order then this page to find I wasn't the first to discover the problem, I was both very surprised and disappointed. You get the title of each track, and its duration - and that's it. Nothing about the music, or Sequentia......

Sorry Sony - you seem to have missed the point of box sets, or indeed any recording on "hard copy" - at least for classical music. And that is to enhance the music with information about the music and the performers. This helps to make sense of the music, and put it into some historical context. It doesn't need to be an encyclopaedia - just enough to get the interested listener started.

So I have given this set 1 star. Don't think the music isn't excellent or the recording - that's all fine. But if wanted a download, I would have bought a download.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 6:53 PM GMT

TomTom GO 500 EU - 5" Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen

1.0 out of 5 stars Check this one carefully before you part with your cash!, 2 July 2013
The new GO series will get you from A to B, but then so will any satnav from £50 upwards. So why do some people spend three to four times as much? (I should add I have owned a Go 730 for some years and am looking for an upgrade.)

Well, any TomTom satnav has several features which for me are critical, and prevent me from looking anywhere else. One is iQroutes and another is the live traffic. I don't want to just get from A to B, I want to get there on time. And choosing the best route is what makes all the difference. iQroutes works on the real speeds that real drivers (i.e. you and me) achieve, not the notional speed limit on the roads (Tomtom have this patented I believe, so you can't get it elsewhere). Add in live traffic, and you can be confident of using the fastest route - and if you still don't get there on time, then you have the comfort of knowing that no faster route was available.

So, back to the GO 500 (or 400 or 600 which only appear to differ on screen size). It does have both iQroutes and live traffic - good. They even get free "lifetime updates" - that's the product's lifetime, not yours!

So, what's not to like? Its the other features included in previous/other models, that are now missing - that's the problem. Here's a list:

1. No facility to add your own "points of interest". So you can't add shops, hotels, pubs, etc. Worse, you can't add traffic cameras - that's only available from Tomtom for about £20p.a. after the first three months.

2. No route planning.

3. Voice commands not available - and I believe will never be because no microphone is fitted.

4. As for 3, the old facility to use the satnav as a handsfree interface to your phone is not available. So to use my phone I have to carry yet more bits and pieces....

5. The facility to add blocked roads, alter routes, etc is missing.

Reading the Tomtom website suggests some of these might get addressed in future software updates. Trouble is that Tomtom have a poor track record of actually keeping such promises......

Things you do get are "3D maps" and a full touch screen, e.g. pinch and zoom. Haven't tried the 3D maps, because there was no data for the town I live in. I am indifferent to the pinch and zoom - I don't care too much about refinements like this, when features such as the above are missing.

So I have been an owner of a Tomtom GO 500 for 1 day, and its now on its way back to Amazon for a refund. Not fit for purpose is my conclusion. Alternatives are the Tomtom Go Live 825/1005, which I am now considering.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 2:06 PM BST