Profile for N.S. > Reviews

Content by N.S.

N.S. (Devon, South-West England, UK)

Solutions, Pure Lanolin, 7 fl oz (207 ml)
Solutions, Pure Lanolin, 7 fl oz (207 ml)
Offered by united care
Price: 9.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Odourous (Chemical Not Sheepish), 3 Sep 2013
This lanolin is very difficult to spread into the hands, and has a strong chemical smell, as if there is antiseptic (or other chemical) in it.

It does not smell of sheep at all, there is no farmyard smell about it.

It has the kind of smell I would associate with sheep dip.

I read that pure lanolin has the smell of sheep fat, but something else has overpowered this.

I use it for my nails and cuticles as I am unable to smooth it over my skin.

The good thing about it is that you only need a small amount for the nails, and this tub will last many years!

Rotring Art Pen Sketch Fountain Pen (Extra Fine) S0204980
Rotring Art Pen Sketch Fountain Pen (Extra Fine) S0204980
Price: 13.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Artpen EF - not as fine as expected, 18 May 2013
The extra-fine nib on this pen is not as fine as the extra-fine nib on my vintage Artpen. The modern nib has more tipping above and below, and produces a wider line. The only way to get it to produce a line as fine as my vintage Artpen is to sketch with the nib upside-down. The nib is also slightly scratchy, and I hope that it will wear smooth in time, with use. Another observation is that the lid does not fit tight, and it is possible to rotate the lid manually around the barrel after it is fully clicked on, as it sits loose around the barrel. The lid on my vintage Artpen still snaps tight and secure after all these years (since the late-1980s). If you do not need a very fine line, I would still encourage you to buy this pen, as it is very useful for sketching outdoors, where it would be impractical to carry about a dip pen and ink. It is also useful for those 'of the moment' sketches indoors.

Timberland Women's Bethel Buckle Mid Lace Boot Brown Side Zip Boots 26640 3.5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Looking Fashion Boots!, 20 July 2012
These are a good looking pair of fairly comfortable fashion boots.

I say 'fashion' because I don't think they will stand up to much wear (although I hope time will prove me wrong).

Having removed the thin (removable) insole, I see the front part of the footbed (where the ball of foot and toes go) is thinly lined in cardboard or cardboard-like material, which has been punched with little holes all over. You can see light coming into the boot via the transluscent rubber sole beneath! The sole bed is very thin, compared to my vintage boots of a similar design.

When I put the insole back in and tried on the boots wearing a medium-thick pair of socks, I found them tight across the instep (yes, I did remove the inner cardboard lining (packaging) from the inside of the boot first!). I was disappointed as they are described as wide-fitting, and I wanted to add a thin wool felt insole, but this isn't possible. I stretched the instep with a pair of boot stretchers, but there is still not enough room to add a felt insole or to wear a pair of thicker socks.

On the plus side, wearing these I feel secure underfoot, as there is a lot of grip on the sole with the deep treads on them, and they feel non-slip (but I haven't been out in the rain with them yet). They're not as tall as might be expected from the description - I'm 4'10" and they come mid-way up my calf (they're aprox. 12" tall from the base of the heel to the top of the boot/calf). I bought the brown shade, which are very much in shades of reddish-chestnut or rust-colour and slightly distressed in appearance, which I find attractive.

Another plus in their favour, was that I paid 27.08 on Amazon (despatched and sold by Amazon with free delivery), and I see that today the price in my size is 125! Amazon described this pair as 'with slight defects' but provided no other information - I notice the stitching at one of the fronts of the boot isn't entirely symmetrical, but apart from that I can see no other faults.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Fly London Women's Yaz Plum Red Wedge Heel P500025065 3 UK
Fly London Women's Yaz Plum Red Wedge Heel P500025065 3 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, But ..., 11 Aug 2011
These are a very attractive pair of shoes. However, I had a problem with the design of the heel, which curves in so much that a good proportion of the heel is effectively missing underfoot, and I felt very unstable and unsupported in the heel area. I could get used to it, but feel that I do not want to compromise my safety over wet and shiny surfaces, as it would be so easy to slip with this design of heel.

Fly London Women's Yale Wedge
Fly London Women's Yale Wedge

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, But ..., 11 Aug 2011
These are a very attractive pair of shoes. However, the elastic strap was painfully tight, and I was unable to keep them on without restricting my circulation. The strap isn't adjustable unfortunately. The other problem I had with these shoes is the design of the heel, which curves in so much that a good proportion of the heel is effectively missing underfoot, and I felt very unstable and unsupported in the heel area. I could get used to it, but feel that I do not want to compromise my safety over wet and shiny surfaces, as it would be so easy to slip with this design of heel.

Ponds Regener Activ Eye Contour Cream 15ml
Ponds Regener Activ Eye Contour Cream 15ml
Offered by Thehealthcounter
Price: 2.61

2.0 out of 5 stars Pond's Regener-Active Eye Contour Cream - Not Good For Sensitive Skin, 30 May 2010
I believe this product is now discontinued by Ponds, but it can still be found online.

I hope this review will help others who have sensitivity to one or more of the ingredients.

It feels good to put on. You only need a very small amount and it glides on smoothly, due to the silicone content (cyclopentasiloxane). Surprisingly there are tiny amounts of what I can only describe as very fine glitter (or other light reflecting particles), which may be OK for daytime, but is unecessary in a night cream, and this cream is meant for day and night use. I have used this cream exactly two times at intervals of one week. Both times were at night, following my usual cleansing routine. I applied the cream very thinly to the upper eyelid and under eye area, carefully avoiding the lashline. Each time, I experienced the same reaction. Upon waking, my upper and under eye area were visibly swollen and puffy. The swelling caused the upper eyelid to hang over the lower lid in a way that I had not experienced before. And the lower eyebag area was swollen by 2 or 3 millimetres. It was not painful and the skin looked plump and hydrated, but I did not look good! I assume I am allergic to one or more of the ingredients, which I list here:-

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Corandium Sativum Seed Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Panthenol, Retinyl Palmitate, Soluble collagen, Bisabolol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Farnesol, CI 77891.

This reaction prompted me to look into the ingedients list more closely. I discovered that products containing glycolic acid and retinly palmitate are not recommended for daytime use, as they can induce skin sensitivity to sunlight. The tube states that it contains solar filters but does not give an SPF. If this product were to be used during the day I would recommend a high factor sunscreen on top of it.

I would like to continue using the cream because it feels so nice and would provide a wonderful makeup base due to the smoothing and waterproofing silicone content, but unfortunataly, puffy eyes are not attractive!

A Guide to Fashion Sewing: A Detailed Illustrated Approach to Sewing
A Guide to Fashion Sewing: A Detailed Illustrated Approach to Sewing
by Amaden-Crawford Connie

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Beginners, 17 Jan 2009
I am reviewing the 1986 edition - other editions may vary.

The book covers: Beginning steps; Step-to-step sewing instructions for skirts, trousers, shirts, and dresses; Seam finishes; Darts and tucks; Interfacings; Bias bindings and spaghetti tubes; Zipper applications; Pockets; Sleeves; Collars; Plackets and necklines; Facings; Waistbands and waistseams; Hems; Buttons and buttonholes; Finishing touches; and has a Glossary of sewing terminology.

The author assumes you have only a very basic knowledge of sewing, as she demonstrates how to thread your machine and takes you through the basic processes of sewing with a sewing machine. The chapter on inserting zips lacks instructions for putting in an invisible zipper. The book itself is large and has excellent large black and white illustrations. The text is minimal but adequate.

I was expecting a more detailed approach to sewing, as befits the subtitle of the book "A Detailed Illustrated Approach to Sewing" However, it's quite basic. The book is geared towards sewing with a purchased pattern, and is described by the author as enabling the beginner to learn to sew without the direction of a pattern sheet.

I would recommend it highly for a beginner, but I have given it a medium rating because I think the full title is misleading. Being an experienced sewer, I was rather disappointed. One more thing, take no notice of the cover page, which shows the fashion of the 80s - there are few fashion illustrations inside and the text is timeless.