Profile for Sir Weasel > Reviews

Content by Sir Weasel

Sir Weasel

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SAVFY iPhone 5s 5 Waterproof Case - Compass Underwater Diving Protective Waterpoof Shock/Dirt/Snow Proof Case Cover Pouch Holster for iPhone 5/5S - Unique Earphone Design for 360 Full Body Protection
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case Great price, 20 Dec 2014
I brought this case to protect my wifes new IPhone from my wife.

Personally I really liked this design. The box it arrived in looked professional with good fitting instructions. It also included some extra cables to ensure that the phone stayed water proof even with headphones!!

Once fitted I was certain the phone was protected from all but the most extreme accidents. The case isn't really chunky but it does add to size of the IPhone and I thought that is a fair trade for protecting an expensive bit of kit. My wife on the other hand thought it made it look like a "boys phone"

So for a man this is a great case and will do what it says on the tin for a good price.

For a man buying for a woman....just let her choose and then pay for it :)

EARLYBIRD SAVINGS Universal Flip PU Leather Stand Case Cover Protector For 9.7" 10.1" Inch Tablet PC iPad 2 3 4 Mid (Grey)
Offered by Early Bird Savings

3.0 out of 5 stars OK as a temporary solution, 20 Dec 2014
Pro - The catches to lock the tablet in place are a soft metal inside so they can be molded to fit any tablet (10 inch+)
Con - I have my doubts as to how long the locking tabs would last with constant removal of the tablet
Con - being non elasticated the locking tabs do loosen with the weight of the tablet. It is worth getting into the habit of quickly checking the tabs on each use.

Pro - the flip out stand is very handy for watching films. The way it is done is quite clever, the bottom of the board holding the tablet has a thin line of velcro style hooks so once you have chosen you angle it wont slip as it is gripping the soft inside of the cover.
Con - It might be just the case I received but magnet latch doesn't line up so it doesn't hold very well.

Overall it is a simple case which just about does what I need it to do. However, because of the design flaws in this case I would spend more money for a better case. After all it is protecting an expensive bit of kit so it is worth being sure it can actually do it.

Magic Global Gadgets - Pink Front & Back Full Body Protector Hard Armour Hybrid Shock Proof Case Cover For Apple iPhone 5 5G 5S With Built In Screen Protector & Mini Stylus Pen
Offered by Magic Global Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but very effective, 20 Dec 2014
This is the best of both worlds between protection and looks. I now have no doubt that if my wife dropped her phone it would survive and she is happy it is still girly. Win Win

Unfortunately it didn't come with fitting instructions, so this is how we tackled it:

*Put the phone in the black rubberized section.
*Then fit the hard plastic case over the back of the unit.
*The rubberized section interlocks into the plastic case.

Note: the black section has an inbuilt plastic screen which just add's to the protection without affecting the usability.

I really rate this case very highly and if I were ever to go to the dark side and get an IPhone I would get a blokey colour one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, 18 Sep 2014
** I Like:

The Price - It is impossible to source a phone at this specification on the highstreet for under £100 (it would be more in the region of £200+).

The Design - It is slim, sleek and looks like a top end phone. Out of curiosity I went into CPW to see if it was a clone of anything to help me find a case. Both the sales guys confirmed that it definitely wasn't a clone and were impressed enough with it to ask me where I had got it from!

The screen - Big and bright. Using this phone outside in bright sunlight is not a problem. The viewing angles are good. I wanted a larger screen phone as it is handy to review documents and create mind maps on the go. 5 inch was my limit to avoid looking like Dom Joly. It comes with a screen protector already fitted and I feel this is a nice touch as I have never mastered the dark art of fitting them.

The dimensions - It may have a large screen but this phone doesn't feel like a brick. It is very thin thanks to the OGS (One Glass Solution) technology and for me the size of this actually means I use this far more than my computer and tablet. It is just a handy size a big enough screen for most tasks but dimensions which fit in a pocket.

The Build Quality - Zero plastic creaks and zero flex in the casing. The device feels solid and is solid. I have dropped this at least twice now and it is still going strong (though I don't intend to do this anymore)

The Battery - Initially I was concerned about mAh rating of the battery as I thought it looked under powered for the hardware. However, I use the internet, wifi and phone quite regularly during the day/night and I am finding it needs charging every 2 days or so which is pretty good considering it is powering the screen etc.

Responsiveness - I have yet to have this phone stutter on any of the tasks I throw at it. This is refreshing as my previous phone would start to lag badly with too many apps. Though this isn't surprising as this has a quad core processor backed up with 1gb of ram.

WiFi & Data connection (3G) - The Data connection on this is the bit I am most impressed with as it runs at H+ most of the time even when I am showing 1 bar for phone signal. I know this isn't 4G but H+ should be around 21Mb/s which is on par with home broadband.

Hotspot - By turning on the Hotspot in the phone it opens up a wifi hot spot for you to connect up to 4 other devices to your phones mobile internet (tablet, laptop etc). I use this regularly and I can confirm that it provides a stable connection with no dropout's.

Speaker - Loud! It caught me out the first time I turned this phone on.

Extra Space - You can add extra storage to this phone easily by adding a micro SD card. I have used a 32gb card with this and it is working great. This is a common feature in most non fruit based phones.

**I don't like

Instructions - The instructions included with the phone actually referred to the Cubot One and this led to a bit of head scratching when trying to put my SIM in it (TIP: it is actually put in sideways UNDER the other microSIM & SD slot). I thought this was a bit of a fundamental error for the manufacturer.

Charger - The unit came with a two pin usb charger. This could be due to the seller rather than the manufacturer. Either way not particularly helpful, but easily resolved (my old Samsung & Huawei charger both charge the unit)

Handsfree headphones - very poor quality (think pound shop) they have a constant crackling to everything. I have replaced the headphones with Sony ones and the sound is great.

Case - The included case has glue to attach it to the phone and looked pretty low quality. For such a nicely designed phone I thought this was a pretty bad solution. I can see that this could end up ruining the look of the phone if you ever tried to replace/remove it.

Flash - The LED they used is quite low power and gives a harsh bluish tinge. LED's have come a long way in recent years (in regards to colour tones and brightness) and this seems to be an odd thing to scrimp on in the design process.

Memory - This has really annoyed me. The phone has 16gb onboard but Cubot has partitioned the phone to have 4gb for android and 12gb for data (music,films etc). So when you take away the space for the operating system you actually have roughly 1gb left for app's. The only thing which helps this phone is if you go to manage apps you go to manage apps you can move the bulk of an app to SD which free's up space for more apps. It would have been better to either not have the partition or allow apps to be moved to the internal 12gb on the phone.

**Overall
So with all my likes and dislikes do I ultimately regret this purchase? Not at all! I am very impressed with the phone and for the price you get a phenomenally good deal. It does everything I need and more. It honestly feels like my first "posh" phone as I have always gone for budget highstreet brands and this is an utter beast compared anything under £200 on the highstreet.

I had my doubts about buying a Chinese phone but as someone pointed out to me on a forum most phones are made in China and most components are manufactured in the same factories. So at the end of the day you are paying for a brand name.

Note - I can confirm that this device does change its MAC Address everytime it is restarted. Though I found this to be a benefit as hotel free wifi is often for 30 minutes then you pay, with this phone a quick restart and the 30 minutes start again.
Note - I did some digging on Cooee which another reviewer mentioned and this is simply the launcher not some dark malware. I personally think this whole idea of pre installed apps in Chinese phones to steal personal data was created by a fruit based company to try to desperately stave off their inevitable extinction.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent phone, 18 Sep 2014

**Overall

Thrive as a Non-smoker: The Amazing Truth About How to Stop Smoking Quickly and Easily
by Rob Kelly
Edition: Spiral-bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 16 Sep 2014
So I got this book with high hopes especially with "fully backed up by scientific research" & "92.5% success rate".
The first statement is true as it links to some interesting scientific articles. The second statement I feel is a bit misleading. This method did go through medical trial but that trail was based on the original system which included hypnotherapy. I can't help but feel that the omission of the hypnotherapy is what makes the method not nearly as effective. I would be interested to see the results if it went through a trial again in it's current state.

For me the early chapters were interesting and logical. As with many of these systems the whole thing falls apart at the critical point of actually quitting. The final chapter seems to descend into a series exercises which have a tenuous link to stopping smoking. Some of the exercises are quite frankly ridiculous and unrealistic at best (changing a persons locus of control). I suspect that the purpose of them is to put the blame of not quitting on the reader.

On top of this the book is an unwieldy A4 spiral bound workbook using cheap quality paper. I can only assume the author chose this format as it would be cheapest option for publishing. Considering the price of this book (£20+) I would have hoped for better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit, 15 Sep 2014

**Overall

HTC ONE M8 - MAGNETIC Button PU Leather Pull Tab Protective Pouch Case Cover + FREE UK DELIVERY (BLACK)

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 5 Sep 2014
I actually brought this case for a Cubot S208 as the dimensions are roughly the same as the HTC ONE M8.
With all my smart phones I have used this type of case as in my mind it offers great protection and look smart.

This pull tab case has the added benefit of a magnetic clasp which keeps the phone in.

My only gripe with this case is that the material seems thinner than my previous cases of the same style and for that the build feels cheaper.

However, the case was competitively priced and it is one of the few out there able to accomodate the larger phones (5 inch).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit, 5 Sep 2014

**Overall

Loom Bands Friendship Bracelet Kit - 600 Latex Free Bands + 24 S-Clips (1)
Loom Bands Friendship Bracelet Kit - 600 Latex Free Bands + 24 S-Clips (1)
Offered by Babz Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain (from i-Bargain Store Ltd), 19 Jun 2014
Most of the Youtube videos explaining how to make the loom bracelets require you to have an adjustable loom. By adjustable I mean that there are pegs which lock the legs in place and they can be independently moved.

Both my wife and my daughter have got into making the bracelets but as I discovered most of the budget kits you get on the high street have fixed nonadjustable looms. So they can't do some of the funky designs they have found.

This unit cost me £3.99 which is actually cheaper than the high street budget models. Also, the bands which come with it seem quite strong (I haven't heard any of the angry muttering which accompanies a snapped band).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4