Profile for Mr. Clifford M. Ashford > Reviews

Content by Mr. Clifford M...

Mr. Clifford M. Ashford (UK)

Top of the Lake [DVD]
Top of the Lake [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elisabeth Moss
Price: 7.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Twaddle, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Top of the Lake [DVD] (DVD)
So ... why does anyone think this is good? It's a feminist genre piece, and for some reason that gives it a license to be badly scripted, irrationally plotted, insulting, unengaging rubbish.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 1:03 PM BST

Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ David Lyons
Price: 8.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as Falling Skies..., 31 Jan 2014
...and that's almost the best thing I can say about this.

It is a pretty good idea, and the Abrams involvement suckered me in. Every so often there's a flash of something great, but these are lost in the endless clichés and moronic 'plots'. My partner and I had some fun predicting lines and events before they occurred, but even we didn't expect to be cheering when the 'heroes' died.

I think some other review commented that Charlie Matheson is THE most irritating character since Jack's daughter in the first season of 24. I was actively rooting for something terrible to happen to her from about episode three.

Tedious flag waving; ridiculous, illogical plots like the subway tunnel that ran out of oxygen (??????), the lack of sailing boats, bicycles, diesel vehicles etc etc. Why does nobody pick up any weapons, and where did the cool crossbow go???

Sigh...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 2:38 AM BST

Falling Skies - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Falling Skies - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Noah Wyle
Price: 8.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Suckered again..., 10 Sep 2013
Well, after the hellish experience of season one I was suckered into watching season two.

There were quotes saying that season two was 'better'. The schmaltz had gone. It was lean and dark and worth watching...

Wrong!

It is every bit as bad as the first season.

How is it possible that great shows are cancelled and this hateful drivel is renewed again and again??
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 9:05 AM GMT

Falling Skies - Season 1 [DVD]
Falling Skies - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noah Wyle
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 8.88

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst science fiction show on TV, 10 Sep 2013
It's not nice to have your hopes dashed.

Reasonable premise, excellent special effects, great pedigree. What happened???

If I had seen the OC, then I'd say that this was the OC with CGI aliens. As I haven't seen the OC, then all I can say is ARGH.

Formulaic plots, wooden characters, blatant melodrama. I apologise to 14 year old girls, but ... this is a show for 14 year old girls with no taste.

I hate it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 6:40 PM GMT

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Price: 8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it..., 14 July 2013
I love stories about stories. I rank this with Neil Gaiman in it terms of understanding that art. An absolute pleasure!

Advent (Advent Trilogy)
Advent (Advent Trilogy)
by James Treadwell
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved it, 25 Jan 2013
This is one of the finest new books I've read in years. I beautifully evokes location and characters with the skill of Alan Garner and builds towards an apocalyptic conclusion on a level with Stephen King. It's the first of a trilogy and I for one can't wait for the next instalment.

Very highly recommended.

Making Money: A Discworld Novel
Making Money: A Discworld Novel
by Terry Pratchett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems a bit rushed, 10 Dec 2011
I was looking forward to the second Moist outing after thoroughly enjoying Going Postal. Unfortunately this felt more like Terry writing to meet a publisher's demand rather then his own enthusiasm. Ideas not gelling into a whole and loose ends lazily tied up - a real shame.

Daywatch [DVD]
Daywatch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Konstantin Khabensky
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.67

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to the books, 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: Daywatch [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD expecting that similar plot liberties would have been take as in Night Watch - i.e. not completely true to the books, but still enjoyable.
No such luck. Apart from the CGI sequences there is nothing to recommend this film - the plot is incoherent, dialog sub B movie and the contrived 'happy' ending tow-curlingly bad. When I reached the sequence at the party I had to fast forward just to have any chance of getting myself to the end.
Please forget this DVD and buy the complex and rewarding novels instead.