Profile for Cloud 9 > Reviews

Content by Cloud 9

Cloud 9 (North Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Botanico 40 Cell Inserts - Pack of 5
Botanico 40 Cell Inserts - Pack of 5
Offered by Online Garden Centre
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Too flimsy, 20 July 2014
I have these and the 24 cell inserts but I won't be buying either again. They are so flimsy that they tear after one or two uses which isn't very environmentally friendly. In future I shall buy bedding plants at the garden centre which come with a free sturdy module tray. The only good thing about these inserts is that they fit in a standard sized tray.

Smoke Fairies
Smoke Fairies
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad they stayed together, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
I loved their first offering - also called Smoke Fairies (in a brown sleeve) but they lost me with Strange the Things (think I'll give it another go now) and I've only recently come back through the assertive Blood Speaks. I really love what they've done with this album though, lyrics, instrumentation and harmonies all stripped back to the pure essence of Smoke Fairies. The thing with the two separate voices really works and the whole thing is spooky and beautiful. I really hope (but doubt) that this will bring them the financial success they need to continue. And I'm intrigued as to what pop songs they listened to on the bus to inspire this sound.

Colour Essentials
Colour Essentials
by Leslie Geddes-Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be longer, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Colour Essentials (Hardcover)
This is a great little book (bought used so cheaper) with very useful advice and lots of excellent colour photos. The author writes clearly and explains why colours work or don't in an easy to understand way. But just as you're really getting into it, it finishes rather abruptly. I would have been happy to read much more hence 4 stars. I recommend it.

Spree: A Cultural History of Shopping
Spree: A Cultural History of Shopping
by Pamela Klaffke
Price: 11.10

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 1 Jan 2009
This is not really a history. The author is a journalist and writes in a gossipy, chatty style. It's mildly interesting, but focuses on America and assumes knowledge of brands and advertising campaigns which are unknown in the UK. For a scholarly, beautifully illustrated history, you need to splash out on the wonderful Kathryn Morrison's English Shops and Shopping.

The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 3 [2007] [DVD]
The Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 3 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noel Fielding
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 19 Feb 2008
If it's as bad as you all think, please would one of you sell me your tickets for their sold-out live show in November?

My fave bit is Howard's long career as a bin man. Oh, and I actually think the Moon is funny.

Perfume - The Story Of A Murderer [DVD]
Perfume - The Story Of A Murderer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Whishaw
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 9.72

1.0 out of 5 stars 2-dimensional, 3 Jan 2008
I was reluctant to watch this film as I love the book so much. The film is beautifully shot and lovely to look at, but sadly is let down by cardboard acting on all parts. I was surprised that the film did not convey the idea that the only reason the young girls are considered to be beautiful is because they smell so lovely - that's why everyone believes Grenouille to be beautiful at the end. In the book the Alan Rickman character tells Grenouille that he reminds him of his daughter. Anyone who hated the film, please give the book a chance.

Marie Antoinette [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Marie Antoinette [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kirsten Dunst
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars pastels, punks and pompadours, 2 Sep 2007
Loved this teenage new romantic version of the story, told from the queen's point of view - quite an experience. Dunst was superb as the innocent swept up into a mad and glamourous world. The soundtrack was great, my boyfriend walked in as I was dancing round the living room to Hong Kong Garden in the masked ball scene. Coppolla's taste in music is outstanding. I also loved the scenes showing the excesses in shoes and cakes, and the cottage retreat - I'd be happy to lose my head for a taste of all that. The ending was just right, everyone knows what happens next, so no need to show it. This film showed the stuff we didn't know. And all that silk - yum! Only 4 stars because I don't see why Steve Coogan has to be in everything nowadays. Oh, and if you hated this film, don't let it put you off seeing Coppolla's previous films as they're totally different.

Vaughan Williams: Tallis Fantasia/Fantasia on Greensleeves/The Lark Ascending/Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"
Price: 8.76

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 9 May 2007
I have had a 2nd hand vinyl copy of this for years and can never decide which of these pieces I love the most, they make me feel so happy. They sound like one of those warm summer afternoons that go on forever. I'm now going to get the cd so I can put it on my i-pod and take it with me everywhere.

Country Living Country Color Combinations: Decorating Solutions for Every Room
Country Living Country Color Combinations: Decorating Solutions for Every Room
by Kate Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 24 April 2007
I love this book. I took it out of the library so often that in the end I had to give in and buy a copy. The book advises on colour combinations using 5 country themes - field & hedgerow, sun, sea & sky, flowers & blossom, kitchen garden, and slate & stone. The book is densely packed with colour photographs to help you get the hang of the ideas presented. At the start of each chapter is a colour chart and expanations of how and why the colour combinations work. Rather than dictate what rules you should follow, the author makes suggestions, then adds different combinations, and encourages the reader to take inspiration from the photographs to mix and match across the themes. I now have a cornfield living room, and am embarking on a harvest festival guestroom and a slate and stone bedroom. I'm beginning to wish I had a bigger house.

Midsummer Snowballs
Midsummer Snowballs
by Andy Goldsworthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Art is fun, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Midsummer Snowballs (Hardcover)
This is the book to buy if you're unsure about splashing out on Andy Goldsworthy's other books as this is about half the price. It's a great story, and the combination of narrative and photography is superb, leading you through the artist's thought processes, the actual production and installation of the snowballs, through to the reactions of the Londoners and the inevitable melts. I love the way the photographers have captured the responses of the public, it leads you to wonder how you would react to a massive snowball stuffed with wool in the high street. I can't wait for the next big snowfall to make some art of my own. In the meantime, I'm saving up for one of Goldsworthy's larger books.

Page: 1 | 2