Profile for John Doe > Reviews

Content by John Doe

John Doe "J.D." (England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Darksiders II - Limited Edition - Includes Argul's Tomb Expansion Pack (PC DVD)
Darksiders II - Limited Edition - Includes Argul's Tomb Expansion Pack (PC DVD)
Price: 12.82

1.0 out of 5 stars What did I miss?, 4 Jun 2014
I must be missing something as even on the easiest level I died repeatedly and in the end gave up as it wasn't as fun to play as the first Darksiders.
I'll confess to being less that impressive at gaming, but easy should be easy in my book and this isn't.

Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Offered by GeeksWholesaler
Price: 10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Another insult to gamers., 22 May 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Having played a number of this franchise I had high hopes of some entertaining gaming but misjudged badly here.
The game consists of various parts, missions, travelling to missions and cutscenes before and after missions. The missions never seem to engage in the way that previous games managed, the handling of ta lot of the cars is such that travelling isn't the fun experience that it should be and finally the characters in the cutscenes are lacking anything that makes them worth sitting through.
You can hit the spacebar to skip the cutscenes, set a waypoint and then hire a taxi to avoid driving, but what would be the point of skipping the misssions? None, except that it would save you the price of the game, which is worth considering.

Finally, the last scene may not work for you as a quick search will show. Bizarrely if your computer is too powerful it won't allow you to climb into a helicopter at the end, so if you have a multicore processor you need to turn of all the cores except one to continue.
Even allowing for that, the game will instruct you to fly low and then when you do, it will shoot you out of the sky with an RPG!

Not one to be treasured, i'm afraid but if you don't mind feeling like you paid for a short game padded by pointless requirements, like being dressed appropriately for one mission, or driving from point A to point B in another, it might be worth a couple of pounds, but then again...

Saints Row IV: Commander In Chief Edition (PC DVD)
Saints Row IV: Commander In Chief Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by GAMEFORCE
Price: 24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A backward step., 10 April 2014
There are a few bugs in this game which make it necessary to do the three-fingered salute (CTRL + ALT + Delete) to exit the game and then restart, but these don't make it bad - the gameplay does that on it's own.
Sadly it just isn't the same funny, senselessly violent killfest that SR 3 was and it doesn't take too much time for the gloss to wear off.
Never mind the pointless hacking tasks which just don't belong in Saint's Row, or any other issues that I have, this just fails to be what the previous version was and any game that sets out it's stall in such a successful way has no other direction to go if it wants to maintain the love that it earned previously.
If you haven't played SR3 then I heartily recommend it as a shooter with a major sense of humour. SR4 just isn't in the same genre and I wouldn't give it a whirl unless it seriously cheap, under 5. or you have tried before you buy-ed.

HSINI Original 8 x Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for ipad 1 & 2, iPhone 4, HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Mobile Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pen - Assorted Colours
Price: 5.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Below average, 10 Mar 2014
Disappointing product that found it's way into a drawer and never came out again. The ends are far to soft to be effective.

Silverline 263215 Diamond Wheel Dresser 40 x 10mm Head
Silverline 263215 Diamond Wheel Dresser 40 x 10mm Head
Price: 8.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money., 10 Mar 2014
I don't think this will last a lifetime, but at the price I consider it worth what I paid for it. It's simple to use and does a good job.

3 Piece Jewellers Magnifying Eye Loupe
3 Piece Jewellers Magnifying Eye Loupe
Offered by Babz Media
Price: 2.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor., 10 Mar 2014
I would pay more for better rather than bother with this product. Cheap and not particularly cheerful is probably the best I can say about tit.

New USB 3.0 External Caddy/Enclosure For 2.5" Laptop SATA Hard Drive - Black - USB 3.0 Caddy With High speed Data Transfer rate
Offered by SBSONLINE
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 10 Mar 2014
There isn't really much to say about this apart from that it works as I had hoped. I recovered the files from a dead laptop's hard drive with very little effort and so I am happy with it.

Batman: Arkham Origins (PC DVD)
Batman: Arkham Origins (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 9.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Who forgot the fun?, 10 Mar 2014
Having played a quarter of this game on the easy level, because all I want is a little distraction of an evening, i'm struggling to go much further. The boss fights take far more effort and concentration than i'd expect on the "I can't play these games very well" level and completing them is less a success and more a relief.
Sadly the rest of the game is best described as somewhat tedious, not helped by the bugs that stop the game flowing as it should, so it really isn't worth the bother in my opinion.

There are worse games, but there are better, and i'd try to find the later and risk finding the former rather than play this release, or perhaps escape is a better word, of this franchise.

AutoCAD 2014 and AutoCAD Lt 2014: No Experience Required: Autodesk Official Press
by Donnie Gladfelter
Price: 18.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails to hit the mark.., 26 Jan 2014
The book begins by offering a guide to the user interface and then the important works starts - using the program to draw. Line, Erase, Offset, Fillet, Extend and Trim are all explored, but not in enough detail as I found out when I tried the practice project at the end. The problem is that you know how to use the commands in the way that they are shown and if you face a situation where this isn't effective.
All isn't lost however as some trial and error proves effective as the program is very forgiving, thanks to Undo and Redo you can play all day and do no harm, but that isn't why I bought the book. If I wanted to learn this way I could have saved myself the price of the book!
After a timeout for some of the more boring aspects of creating drawings the book continues with other commands, but these are dealt with within the context of an architectural project, drawing a cabin layout. This is fine for those that want to do similar work as you are shown how to use commands to create various aspects of the drawing, but if you wish to work in a different field you are going to struggle. Not only is it difficult to locate the command you want, it isn't enough to know what you want to do but also what the command that will do it is called, but the commands are used in a limited way, for example to create a door, rather than looking at them in any depth. Sadly I found myself using the internet after a mere tenth of the book which makes it an expensive purchase.

I want a book that gives me the basics, so that I can walk, and then deals with things in more depth so that I can run and this isn't it, at least not for someone not working in the architectural field. I may find myself revisiting it once I get a degree of competence with AutoCad, but I won't be doing that by relying on the book.

Need for Speed Most Wanted (PC DVD)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Controller Issues, 20 Jan 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Having played for a short while with an xbox controller I find it very difficult to steer with any degree of control. Not only does the response time seem to be far too slow when trying to turn, but also when I release the joystick to make the vehicle straighten up. In order to deal with this you need to steer in the opposite direction if you are travelling at any speed, which totally ruins the game as far as i'm concerned.
I wouldn't recommend this game at any price unless you have tried it first with the controller of your choice to ensure that you can get the responsiveness that you want - there doesn't seem to be anything built into the game to enable you to do anything except that you are given.

As a long time fan of this franchise, although some have been pretty poor, I feel that perhaps this has gone the same way as COD and needs to be put out of it's misery.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3