Profile for C. Jean-Baptiste > Reviews

Content by C. Jean-Baptiste

C. Jean-Baptiste (London, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
One Night: Promised (One Night Trilogy 1)
One Night: Promised (One Night Trilogy 1)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good stay up all night to finish read., 25 July 2014
I liked this. Liked it much more that the previous trilogy. It is well paced and edited. The flawed Miller is actually a more inciting proposition than Jesse from the This Man books and I am actually rooting for him to get together with the lead Little Livy (as I have christened her)This one is a bit different because our heroine is not squeaky clean. Refreshing and human. Still vulnerable but very likeable. I

especially related to her Converse obsession. What makes this so fresh is that it is young. Sometimes these can feel like Mills and Boon books with raunch but this book is of its time and it shows. Much like the Crossfire books you can tell the author herself is not out to pasture quite yet ;-) I felt like I could relate to the characters.

I suspect this will be another trilogy and I am looking forward to it. A good read. Well done Ms Malpas.

I have been chastised for ruining endings in my reviews previously so I am not giving anything away this time!

Bloodlines: The Fiery Heart (book 4)
Bloodlines: The Fiery Heart (book 4)
by Richelle Mead
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I am impressed!, 29 Jun 2014
Let me preface this by saying I have read books 1-4 of Bloodlines and all the VA books prior and this is my favourite. Multiple reasons for this but mostly because I am a romantic at heart and this one has romance in spades. More than any of the others. Plus you get a POV from Adrian which we haven't seen before.

Absolutely adored it. Not to say I didn't see the end coming but that isn't the point. Sydney is complex, smart and likeable. Rose Hathaway from VA is a hard act to follow let alone by someone who is quite the opposite in temperament and background but Mead manages making us relate to Sydney effortlessly.

Her change from book one is almost complete thanks to her sweet teacher and of course Adrian.

Adrian.

Sigh.

Literally a teenage girl's fantasy crush and although I am well out of adolescence I was charmed as easily as a 14 year old meeting R-Patz in the flesh (or at least I assume that's how it would feel!) He is sweet, passionate and a bit off kilter. All good qualities. Sydney is a better person for loving him and vice versa. It is nice to see a balanced relationship in a YA book that although is set in a fantasy book is realistic/modern enough that it doesn't encourage the girl to put her hands under her man's feet.

These books remind me of the Night World series by L.J. Smith I did read as a teenager. If you can't wait for the last book or want something to read after I strongly suggest those are your next go to series.

SMARTSHAKE Protein Shaker Gold Smoke
SMARTSHAKE Protein Shaker Gold Smoke
Offered by The Protein Warehouse
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Oct 2013
I am currently on a meal replacement diet and wanted something small for the office/handbag. This is sturdy and well thought out.

Firstly the 'mesh' type insert means little to no lumps when making powdered shakes, the lid is easily secured with no leaks and the cap is hinged so if you want to drink from the spout you can without it hitting you in the face!

I have no real need for the other parts at the moment, however as I ease off the harsh part of this diet and go back to the gym I know I will find it useful for storing my supplements.

A great buy

Lowther Unisex Boots Wellies Blue W23262 7 UK
Lowther Unisex Boots Wellies Blue W23262 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lowther Unisex Wellies (Apparel)
Got them for Bestival 2013 better quality than I expected and perfect fit. They are quite a lot like the Hunters I have had in the past but for a fraction of the cost. Would buy again but I suspect I wont need to for a while. Love them!

Gel Polish UV  Hot Pop Pink 40519 BlueSky .33 fl oz Soak Off Nail Polish
Gel Polish UV Hot Pop Pink 40519 BlueSky .33 fl oz Soak Off Nail Polish
Offered by Deal Pot Ltd
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not as good as Gelish or branded equivalent, 6 Oct 2013
Ok but not as thick and glossy as the Shellac I have had done in the salon or the Gelish kit I have bought for home. Needs 3 coats and doesn't have the depth of pigment like the expensive brands. Because it is thinner you don't get the nail protection, I use these because I want to protect my nail and make it less bendy which this can't provide. All that said for the price and the range of colours you can't go wrong but there is a reason the other cost more.

Harmony Gelish Uv Soak Off Gel Polish - Black Cherry (0.5 Oz)
Harmony Gelish Uv Soak Off Gel Polish - Black Cherry (0.5 Oz)
Offered by Ella Gray
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars You pay for quality, 6 Oct 2013
This is my first Gelish purchase since getting the kit. Loved it and gives a real salon finish even for an amateur like me. Well packaged for delivery and came within the time frame. Will buy these again.

Beneath This Man
Beneath This Man

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but left me feeling a bit uncomfortable, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Beneath This Man (Kindle Edition)
This is book 2 of the series. I have read 1 and am unsure about tackling 3 truth be told. I am no book snob. I am an avid reader of the 'Dominant but Damaged Rich Guy' genre popularised by FSOG. I then went on to the (superior in my opinion) Bared to You series. Jesse Ward is no Gideon Cross or even Christian Grey he lacks the charisma of Gideon and the presence of Christian. I don't believe that this man would be able to get a woman to drop her pants in 24 hours.

I like the escapism, the unrealistic drama and the filth! The female protagonist is never really our focus, she is 20 something supposedly 'feisty' and different to every woman the Dom Rich Guy has met. Normally I live with this because she is the catalyst for change in that person. They relent their selfish ways and at some point it becomes a partnership. Along the way we get drama, revelations and hot sex. This does not happen in Ava and Jesse's world. He says jump and she says how high. He is not just domineering, it's borderline abusive. If he was fat, poor and unattractive he'd be on Jeremy Kyle. The things he does to Ava are wrong viewed at any angle and she never outright challenges him except for short bursts of disobedience in her head. In the first book there is a particularly uncomfortable scene in her bedroom when she is 'stealth attacked' for want of a better description.

The Drama: Slow to come and when it does it feels rushed, like we need to get it out of the way for more sex.

The Sex: Repetitive and quite tame (My need for kink may have been ratcheted up by reading other novels admittedly) It is the same over and over. I actually skipped it to get to the point of the story.

The Revelations: Again it took so long for her to work out something that had been happening since book 1 I was nearly tearing my hair out. They come sharp and quick towards the end of the book and are good plot devices but her reactions are so bizarre I almost didn't finish reading.

Writing: It better than some I have read in this genre to be honest, but there are numerous typos and an over reliance on profanity. I am no prude but I would imagine two fairly educated people would have a more diverse vocabulary.

It gets 3 stars because of the plethora of FSOG copycats I have read it holds its own and if like me this particular sub-genre is like chewing gum for the mind in the bath then go for it.

Beautifully Damaged
Beautifully Damaged

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Wants to be Beautiful Disaster but isn't anywhere close., 24 Jun 2013
Hated it. Cliched, contrived, badly plotted with unlikeable chatacters. Also why use sexual abuse as plot device so often? It has been done to death! The book is a mishmash-hash of Sylvia Day meeys Jaime Maguire and not good enough to sit on a shelf next to either. Avoid.

OPI Big Apple Red Nail Lacquer Classics Collection 15ml
OPI Big Apple Red Nail Lacquer Classics Collection 15ml
Price: 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect red., 8 Jun 2013
OPI has always been my go to for nail varnish. A great 'true' red. Smooth application, no streaks and really shiny. No chips and doesn't fade. A good classic colour.

Kangol Overnight Holdall Brown -
Kangol Overnight Holdall Brown -
Offered by Sports Direct
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks more expensive than it is. Bargain!, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kangol Overnight Holdall (Luggage)
If you like that classic Mulberry luggage look but like me can't afford 1000k plus on a holdall this is the one for you. Roomy, well made and good to look at. Got the wheeled holdall too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4