Profile for alexgrant@hongkong.com > Reviews

Content by alexgrant@hong...

alexgrant@hongkong.com (South Wales)

Further Down The Spiral
Further Down The Spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars It's creepy and a little strange but I love it!, 23 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Further Down The Spiral (Audio CD)
My first introduction to Nine Inch Nails, this album raises a question: why did I never notice this lot before?
It's nice to see that amidst a vast sprawling array of music which all seems to end up becoming dull pop tunes that at least there are original, inspiring pieces of music being created. This is one such album.
I was recommended this album based on my interest in Aphex Twin. I was not disappointed, in fact Richard James provides this album with my favourite track, "At the Heart of it All", about the most sinister tune I own. Mind you the others are not much more cheerful.
I must admit this is not a CD which you love instantly. It grabs your attention on the first listen with its odd mix of techno beats, trancy rhythms and rocky guitars and you grow to love it more and more as you listen to it. The climax of the album is from track 4 to track 8. Tracks 1-3 are really building up to this part of the album and numbers 9 and 10 work towards the finale, with it's very dodgy lyrics.

Significant Other
Significant Other
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Different to the rest of my CD collection but brilliant, 14 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Significant Other (Audio CD)
In essence I must confess I'm a dance fan. I'd never really seen myself as someone who enjoys heavy guitar riffs and rocky sounds.
However, this album changed all of that. This was the first Limp Bizkit album I heard, I borrowed it from a friend about 6 months before "Take a Look Around" began to take over the radio, and instantly loved it. I'm not that keen on "3 Dollar Bill, Y'all" (it's a bit too far into the realms of rock for my liking, I appreciate it as a good rock album but that's as far as it goes) and I think that "Chocolate Starfish" is a good demonstration of just where Limp Bizkit should never have gone. "Significant Other" strikes a cool balance between being too rocky and too commercial, it's just right.
Sat between Leftfield and Metalheadz in my CD collection, this album is a complete change to the norm in my case. It's very different to everything else I own, but I can't help but like it. Buy this album if you like heavy rock, and check it out if you're not sure and are more of a dance fan. You won't regret it.

Rhythm and Stealth
Rhythm and Stealth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, a perfect follow up to Leftism. But..., 14 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Rhythm and Stealth (Audio CD)
Leftism is a landmark album, it inspired an entire genre of music and redifined dance music when it was released. It's an essential part of a broad music collection. Rhythm and Stealth meanwhile, despite being brilliant in about every way like its predecessor will never have the same influence.
This is an almighty album, it's one of my favourite albums of all time (but then so is Leftism). What I do think though is that this is not an essential album like its predecessor. Certainly if you really enjoyed the previous album you should think about getting this. It's not ground-breaking however. It's a sequel to Leftism, with fresher and more modern beats. Leftism's the better of the two however (marginally).

Leftism
Leftism

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is superb!, 14 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
I'm lost for words with this album, I felt reluctant to check out Rhythm and Stealth when it came out for fear that it wouldn't live up to expectations. (it did by the way)
It's a beautiful creation, 11 tracks of masterful electronic creation which demand to be listened to over and over again.
My favourite track? I don't have one, genuinely I can't pick a track that stands out as the best here because I can't fault it in any way.
If you don't own this album already, isn't it time you dug deep into your pocket and sorted out that void in your music collection?

Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water [Special UK Edition with Bonus CD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Limp Bizkit become a Pop act, oh dear, 14 Dec. 2000
I'm sure Fred Durst is living the high life because of this album particularly. Since "Take a Look Around", Limp Bizkit have become a moshed up pop act (believe me it pains me to say this) and I'm not sure I like this new image.
I can't really fault the tracks on the album, ("My Generation" is the best one there, living up to my post-Significant Other expectations) but I don't think this is a step forward for the band. It feels as if it's been written for a largely teeny bopper audience, none of the other tracks really stand out and the album as a whole for me got worse the more I listened to it.
I've been a Limp Bizkit fan since about 6 months before "Take a Look Around" began to get airplay and I had quite big expectations for this album. "Significant Other" is pure class and what I'd have like to have seen is a decent follow up to that.
Sorry, but it's not what it's cracked up to be.

Dig Your Own Hole
Dig Your Own Hole
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars More 4.5 stars really..., 14 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Dig Your Own Hole (Audio CD)
I own all three Chemical Brothers albums, and I personally think this is the best of the three. The best track here would have to be "The Private Psychadelic Reel" for the way it holds you in suspense before letting rip with amazing force. 9 minutes of pure class. That's not to say the rest of the album isn't excellent, but it does raise a question: why oh why oh why did "Don't Stop the Rock" and "It Doesn't Matter" ever make it onto this album? They let it down badly, and inspire reaching for the forward skip button. The other tracks are absolute class, hence I can't give it 4 stars, but skip the tracks I've just mentioned knock it down off 5. They're awful!

Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars
Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but not as good as his last album, 14 Dec. 2000
This is, as the other reviews show, an album that's received mixed reactions. I have to say it really didn't strike me as fantastic when I first heard it. I borrowed a friend's copy and instantly liked Ya Mama more than the rest of the tracks on the album. I made no plans to buy it then and there, I wasn't that impressed.
But, one night whilst bored and in need of a soundtrack I put the CD on and I suddenly got it. This is quite different to the other albums, but is in essence a slightly mellower version of "You've Come a Long Way, Baby". Contrary to what others have said, he really does do this very well. It's a chilled, loved up affair ("drop the hate, forgive each other!") which at the same time still has some of that Big Beat kick that shows up Norman's roots.
I really like this album, even though it's is not as good as "You've Come a Long Way Baby". I think it's nice to see that he's matured, he is in his late 30s after all. Besides if he did an album that sounded exactly like his last one people would complain that all his music sounds the same.
Overall a more than worthy addition to my CD collection. Nice one Norm!