Profile for Simon Wheeler > Reviews

You Don't Know Me, But ...: A Footballer's Life
by Clarke Carlisle
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY THE BEST, 18 Nov 2013
I probably read at least one sporting autobiography a week and generally the standard is "much of a muchness" - Interesting read, but, nothing to stand out from the crowd? During the course of a year I will normally be very lucky if a book comes along that clearly stands out from the rest, BUT, in the last two that I have read I have found two gems "back to back." First of all I read Harry Redknapp's excellent "Always Managing" and I honestly thought that this one would be the best that I read in 2013, but, on completing this one I immediately read Clark Carlilse's SUPERB A Footballers Life. As a football supporter of over 40 years my love affair with the game has started to diminish, possibly influenced by the grotesque amounts of money that those at the top get paid, but, on reading this book you quickly become aware that for every Messi or every Rooney there are many more "journeyman" players who whilst being rewarded handsomely (when compared to most) still face the every day financial and marital pressures faced by most and this is exactly what this book portrays superbly.

Carlisle appears to have suffered more than most but he tells his tale with absolute honesty and a brutality that is alarmingly refreshing and goes some way to bring the view that not all football is about millionaires and glamour.

This is a story about "traditional" football but told by a player who has tasted life at all levels - Good, bad funny and at times VERY SCARY.

IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE FOOTBALL BOOK THIS CHRISTMAS - MAKE IT THIS ONE. TRUST ME YOU WONT REGRET IT.

A BRILLIANT READ.