Profile for Susan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Neverwhere
Neverwhere

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical story, 9 July 2016
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book, I completely lost myself in it and couldn't put it down. Neil Gaiman writes my type of fantasy eloquently, imaginatively and very, very well. It was a delight to read.

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll need tissues for this book!, 9 July 2016
I loved this book! I wept buckets at the end too. It's imaginative, poignant, original and funny (in places).

My Mother's Secret
My Mother's Secret

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok holiday read., 9 July 2016
Ok book. Slow to get started, and I guessed the 'twist' early on. Steffie really annoyed me. An OK holiday read.

Lavender Road
Lavender Road

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure if I would like this book at first, 9 July 2016
This review is from: Lavender Road (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't sure if I would like this book at first, but I really enjoyed it. Great characters, lovely story, look forward to reading more.

Down Our Street
Down Our Street

1.0 out of 5 stars i did not enjoy this book (what I read of it) at all, 9 July 2016
This review is from: Down Our Street (Kindle Edition)
This is a really badly written book, no sense of time line, too many characters, very little description of the Blitz and what was a horrific time for many. Novelists are always told to 'show don't tell' and never to try to write in dialect. This book disobeys both these un written rules and is the poorer for it. I really can't understand how it got so many 5star ratings. I gave up half way through because the style and pace got on my nerves so much, and really couldn't see it improving. i did not enjoy this book (what I read of it) at all.

My Sister's Secret
My Sister's Secret

2.0 out of 5 stars Now the not so nice comments - unimaginative narrative, 7 Jun. 2016
Ok, a noce comment -- potentially interesting story about three sisters Faith, Hope and Charity, and Charity's daughter Willow.
Now the not so nice comments - unimaginative narrative, clunky dialogue and very badly researched. You could have knocked me down with a snorkel to find that the author had had help writing about scuba diving, which is a huge part of the story - there are so many glaring inaccuracies that it just made me want to give up (but it was a long journey with nothing else to read). Too many coincidences, a narrative that reads more like a travel book and boring characters make this a tedious tale. This book needs some serious editing too, I really don't understand how this book has got such good reviews. I won't be reading anything by this author again.

Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 7)
Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as good as ever, 7 Jun. 2016
Every time I read a new Jodi Taylor I'm anxious in case it's all gone a bit samey-wamey, off-the-boil, rehashed nothingness. But it hasn't! Oh I so love this series, and I hope St Mary's happy band of ne'er do wells have many more adventures.
Oh, and the very end - wonderful!

The Silent Tide
The Silent Tide

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 7 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Silent Tide (Kindle Edition)
An easy read, good for a summer holiday or relaxing weekend. It certainly isn't a gripping page-turner, and I agree with the many reviews which comment on it being over-long. But it was pleasant enough, although both heroines were a bit vapid.

The Witches of Cambridge
The Witches of Cambridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many Americanisms for an 'English' book., 16 May 2016
An story of everyday witches set against the romantic backdrop of Cambridge, this is an easy-read story perfect for holidays or when you need something entertaining but lightweight.
However, despite the author's English credentials, her English characters and the quintessentially English setting, the liberal use of Americanisms throughout was really jarring and totally spoiled my enjoyment of the book...diapers, bangs, faucet, bassinet, math...WHY? And not everyone who lectures at Cambridge is a professor either. I won't be reading any more of the author's books because of this, I know it sounds petty but these really derails my immersion in the story arc. I really don't understand how this got through an editing process. So it's a disappointed 2 stars from me because of this.

The Lavender Witch
The Lavender Witch

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Mar. 2016
I was really looking forward to this book after the glowing reviews it received here. However, although the story was a very interesting re-telling of an old true story, and it had some seriously spine-tingling moments, I was very disappointed overall. The formatting on my Kindle was very 'jumpy'', the sentences often broke up in the middle onto a new line, and there were large gaps between paragraphs which really interrupted the flow of the story. But I also found the dialogue quite laboured, and the narrative could have done with a few more commas - and a good editor.
I was mostly disappointed because there were some lovely observations and a great story to be told, and I really really wanted to be terrified out of my skin, but sadly I wasn't for the reasons outlined above.

Page: 1 | 2