Profile for Igloo Bill > Reviews

Content by Igloo Bill

Igloo Bill "surgeoner3" (London UK)

Ships
Ships

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend...., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ships (Audio CD)
If there was ever any doubts about the genius of Daniel Smith this CD quashes them. I first heard of Danielson about a year ago and have listened to nearly all of his/their albums. This is, for me, the best. A whole range of emotions and ideas are just bursting to get out.
Right from the first song "Ship The Majestic Suffix" the CD takes off never lets up until the last song, the outrageously joyful "Five Stars and Two Thumbs Up" is finished.
I have described this album to friends as sort of Psychedelic, Indie, Gospel music. They can be pretty funny as well. "Did I Step On Your Trumpet?" is a brilliant light hearted romp (the video for this song is very good too).
"Ships" is probably my favourite album at the moment.

John Carter [DVD]
John Carter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Taylor Kitsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Not BAD at all......, 16 July 2012
This review is from: John Carter [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't get to see this at the cinema so I bought the DVD. I was half expecting it to be dreadful after reading some bad reviews, but NO. They did change some things but mainly kept to the story. I read the book (and some sequels) probably over 40 years ago so I don't remember every twist and turn. The only slightly cringeworthy moments were, I thought, between the two main characters John Carter and Deja Thoris, but nothing bad enough to make me grab the remote. There are quite a few similarities with Avatar (and Star Wars and Dune and definitely Flash Gordon) and I can't help thinking this film would have done a lot better if it came out a few years ago, before Avatar.
This story was written nearly a hundred years ago. I think it was first printed in book form in 1917 by the writer who also gave us Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs. I wish it had done better at the box office because I, for one, would love to see a sequel. I live in hope......

Schubert : Symphonies Nos 1 - 9 [Complete]
Schubert : Symphonies Nos 1 - 9 [Complete]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite complete...., 15 Feb 2011
Why is this called the "Complete" Schubert Symphonies when there is NO Symphony No 7. A bit of an oversight there I think.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2011 4:47 PM GMT

Willem Tanke - Messiaen - Organ Works [2009] [DVD]
Willem Tanke - Messiaen - Organ Works [2009] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Messiaen

2.0 out of 5 stars Claustrophobic is the word!, 13 Jan 2010
This DVD is really only for those who are obsessed with Cathedral/Church Organs.
For nearly 2 hours you get a shot of Willem Tanke sat at the organ, for most of the time with 3 inset shots from slightly different angles (one of which is of his feet on the pedals). This is fine for 5 or 10 minutes or even 15 but that I'm afraid is ALL you get. Not once does the camera pull away to a longer shot, or show you a view of the Church for a bit of variation.
Don't get me wrong,I love Messiaen's music and particularly his Organ works. The vast expanses that are there in the music are missing from this DVD. It's too claustrophobic, I literally could not sit through it again. The "Director" of this DVD needs to sit and think whether he should look for another line of work because this Film does not work.

We Are Ever So Clean
We Are Ever So Clean

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY is this Album not better known????, 23 Jun 2006
This review is from: We Are Ever So Clean (Audio CD)
I first heard of this album about a year ago (mid 2005) and eventually got a copy of it a few months later. I'm amazed this band and this album particularly is'nt better known.

This is soft-psyche at it's best. I have rarely heard such interesting chord sequences and vocal harmonies in what is essentially pop music, with the possible exception of the wonderful Brian Wilson.

The guitar work is superb. Not the wild freak-out guitar of Hendrix or early Clapton in fact there are no solos on the album at all, but there is a lot of well thought out guitar interplay which is reminiscent of early Steve Howe when he was in Tomorrow. This also reminds me at times of The Pretty Things (S F Sorrow), The Idle Race, The Move, The Left Banke and occasionally early Floyd (Piper....).

There are a few VERY silly songs on this, The Remarkable Saga Of The Frozen Dog and Mrs Murphy's Budgerigar to name but two. The only song that gets a little bit too silly for me is The Intrepid Balloonist's Handbook, Volume One. But hey this was the late sixties what do you expect.

For me this platter is worth the price for the absolutely beautiful Mister Watchmaker (marvelous string arrangement) and Telegram Tuesday, a song with possibly the shortest verse ever, one line and you're straight into the chorus.

It's a shame that their second album Only For A Moment wasn't anywhere near as inspired with them sounding like a slightly heavy version of Wishbone Ash, didn't work for me.

WE ARE EVER SO CLEAN.... buy it, I did and never looked back.