Profile for Nigel Bailey > Reviews

Nigel Bailey (UK)

Skin Stealer for Minecraft
Skin Stealer for Minecraft

4.0 out of 5 stars good app | need blocklauncher, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Skin Stealer for Minecraft (App)
I like this app! I do need blocklauncher to pocket edition skin change though. You could say it's you're
changing room. Like it? I do.

Kids Doodle 2 - Color & Draw
Kids Doodle 2 - Color & Draw

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, My & year old likes it...., 19 April 2014
This review is from: Kids Doodle 2 - Color & Draw (App)
Dead easy & very glowy.
Good for 7 year olds, less good for engineers.

Ramble ramble rhubarb that's enough words now...

Passing Stranger
Passing Stranger
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from a fantastic artist., 19 April 2014
This review is from: Passing Stranger (Audio CD)
This album got 5 stars, the songs are worth 6, but the bits in between are a bit messy. One of my top 5 favourite albums.
Just in case you're interested the other 4 being:-
Hawkwind's "Levitation",
Edie Brickell's "Shooting rubberbands...",
Van der Graff Generator's "Still Life",
and Lindisfarne's "Nicely out of tune"
....but then I love John Martyn's "Solid air", and Paul Simon's "Graceland" and........ Why on earth did I limit myself to 5 ???

Philips SHP2500/10 Indoor Corded Television Headphones
Philips SHP2500/10 Indoor Corded Television Headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Earphones both snapped off after a couple of months., 2 Jan 2013
Long lead which is a plus, sound not spectacular but OK, but....
they creak constantly, The head band adjusts too easily so that they end up resting on your ears not your head, and both earphones snapped off after a few months of fairly light (and careful) use.
OK they weren't expensive, but they've been rendered useless for the want of a little extra plastic in the right place.
Bought them because they were Philips. Now the second rubbish product I've owned (briefly) from a formerly good name.

Stagg MA10BAG Basic Bag for Mandoline - Black/Grey
Stagg MA10BAG Basic Bag for Mandoline - Black/Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars good bag for mando, too small for man!, 27 Oct 2010
Mostly fine & excellent value for money.
Holds the mandolin well (I have an "F" style, but it would fit an "A" too)
Johnny Roadhouse's post was cheap & it arrived the next day.
Only shortness of perfection are that the rucksac straps are a little short for me in a coat, and a tiny-tiny bit more room (and a repositioned pocket zip) would give room for my A4 binder of tunes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 11:50 AM BST

Disney Princess Booster Cushion
Disney Princess Booster Cushion
Offered by Motorcount Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pink and Wobbly, 27 Oct 2010
The "Princess" element went down rather well with our 3 year old, which is why we bought it, however, in use the seat is really prone to slipping out of place or tipping over.
We have a Volvo S40 with leather seats which are fairly flat, and a Vauxhall Corsa with cloth seats which are also quite flat. The base of the booster seat is very narrow, so every time my daughter tries to sit on it it tips over. the gap between the "horns" and the seat is also wide, so the seatbelt provides little stability. It wobbles & slips quite a bit in use.
It might fit better on a car with more contoured seats, but I suspect we've paid more to disney for the princesses, than we did for the design & manufacture of the seat.

Rentokil Advanced Mouse Trap Twin Pack
Rentokil Advanced Mouse Trap Twin Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleasant :(, 25 Nov 2008
Only 2 out of 8 good kills so far,

I'm quite fond of our mice, we have spent a lot of time looking at each other round corners, but now the house is back in one piece, they've got to go. Have been live trapping until the weather turned cold, but apparently released mice tend to starve pretty quickly. So off I went to buy the best traps I could with the idea that if you're going to kill something then you should do it as well as you can.

The first time I got a mouse, about 30 minutes after setting the traps, I was aware of a strange rattling sound under my desk, looked down to find a mouse with it's smashed face caught in the trap running in circles. Had to finish that one off by hand. The next mouse fared slightly better, but was still caught by it's head, rather than it's neck. a little testing made me realise that the traps were too light and were jumping backwards when released.
I then glued the traps to a board for more weight. They're getting the mice a bit further back now, but aren't generally causing enough damage to kill the mouse outright. More half-bricking required. Why is there a sleeve on the trap arm? - I know, to avoid people having to look at blood, not for the mouse's benefit.

I'm just buying some "Little Nippers" as I remember with a little fettling they seem to work very well, however still not perfectly.

I wonder if the RSPCA could do a cruelty rating on these things, there's some real rubbish about.

We need a better mousetrap!!!!

Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)
Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a tree hugger but...., 25 Nov 2008
.... if you're going to kill something, then do it properly.

I've been looking for these traps for a while, most shops don't seem to have them in, & the ones you can get pander to the squeamish, and don't seem to give a damn about the welfare of the mouse.

Most plastic traps are too light and jump backwards, catching the mouse by the nose or a paw (Try a bulldog clip on a fingertip for 5 minutes to get the faintest idea of how that must feel!) Others with light springs just crush & injure the mouse leaving it to die over hours. I've been very busy with a half brick over the last few days putting them out of their misery, out of the 8 mice caught so far (in Rentokil approved traps) I've only had 2 clean kills.

Fix the bait well to the spike & polish/put a drop of oil on the release pin & you can get 80-90% success with these traps.

Messy as they are, mice are only after food & shelter like the rest of us. Unfortunately those used to a warm house & plentiful food usually die within a few days of being released from live capture traps outside. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils.