Profile for B > Reviews

The Island of Misfit Girls: short stories
The Island of Misfit Girls: short stories
by Rayme Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of short stories, 23 Oct. 2014
I love Waters' great sensibility in capturing the coming of age of her various characters. Great language and good stories that you easily get involved in. Highly recommended!

His Young Heart: Landfill / The Woods / Candles / Switzerland [10" Vinyl]
His Young Heart: Landfill / The Woods / Candles / Switzerland [10" Vinyl]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 24 May 2013
I just can't hear "Landfill" enough times and the other songs are great too! The combination of a beautiful voice with complex song structures, great production, groove and heart-shattering lyrics is truly amazing. I had already listened to it a lot on Spotify when I decided to buy this EP but hearing it on thick, beautiful vinyl was still a whole new experience. It's been spinning a lot since I got it.

Now I'm looking forward to the Stockholm concert in November!

Tree Bursts In Snow
Tree Bursts In Snow

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the first one, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tree Bursts In Snow (Audio CD)
This is a very good follow-up to their first album, even if it doesn't quite reach the same level. Thorough songwriting here too, though, and I really like the album.

Boots Met My Face
Boots Met My Face

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs met my heart, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Boots Met My Face (Audio CD)
I discovered Admiral Fallow after a review in the newspaper compared them to REM. I didn't find any similarities to that band, but I really love these songs, delivered in a harsh Scottish accent, but with so much emotion and heart. This album is full of little poetic gems in the lyrics. The great title "Boots met my face" is just one example of this.

Escape from Camp 14: One man's remarkable odyssey from North Korea to freedom in the West
by Blaine Harden

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 1 Nov. 2012
An enthralling story about the terrifiŭing hardships of growing up in a North Korean prison camp. The book is very well written and Harden puts Chin's story into context in an impressive way. A must-read for anyone interested in human rights and what's going on inside the world's worst and most bizarre dictatorship.

All Things Will Unwind
All Things Will Unwind

5.0 out of 5 stars The voice of an angel, 17 Oct. 2011
This review is from: All Things Will Unwind (Audio CD)
Sharah Worden has a voice that is simply unique. She could probably have been an opera diva if she had wanted to. Lucky for us, she has decided to bless our lives with beautiful songs of another kind. On this latest album she has relinquished synthesizers altogether and mainly uses strings and wind instruments to accompany her carefully crafted songs. It's pure genius! I love this album and want to have its children. Thank you Sharah! And keep singing!

A Thousand Shark's Teeth
A Thousand Shark's Teeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album!, 14 Jun. 2011
I love Shara Worden's voice. I first heard her as the Queen on The Decemberist's equally brilliant "folk opera" album The Hazards of Love and decided I had to check her out more. This album is fabulous. It's great and bombastic in a low-key way, if this is possible. Most of all, you get to enjoy Shara's amazingly crystal clear voice in well-crafted songs that you can hear over and over again without ever wearing them out. I hope to see her live sometime. It must be a great experience!

Kiss Each Other Clean
Kiss Each Other Clean

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new one from bearded Texan, 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Kiss Each Other Clean (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album, I felt like Samuel Beam was moving too far away from his folksy roots. But after having listened to it a few more times I really started to enjoy the funky soul groove that he started to add already on "The Sheperd's dog". Most of all, like always with Iron & Wine, the songs are really, really good and get to you on several levels. So, if you ask me, it's a definite good buy!