Profile for Emma > Reviews

Content by Emma

Emma (East London)

Page: 1 | 2
How To Draw Cartoons Like A Pro!
How To Draw Cartoons Like A Pro!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy, confidence enhancing, 2 Mar. 2014
I'm way out of practice with my character sketching. Thankfully I found this gem and feel after an hour of doodling I can create ideas once again. Great book.

Orangey the Goldfish (Book 1)
Orangey the Goldfish (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet story, 23 April 2013
My son is tiny and probably won't remember this or even know what I'm saying. But, it's a lovely story. Sweet, gentle and warm in every sense and made me smile reading it.

Super Fat Cat! (Imaginer Club Book 2)
Super Fat Cat! (Imaginer Club Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love!, 22 April 2013
A super cute story. Lovely images, funny dialogue, wonderful flow to the story. My son will love this. Fully recommended!

Beth the Baby Boat and an Unexpected Friend (A Children's Picture Book)
Beth the Baby Boat and an Unexpected Friend (A Children's Picture Book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute - some peril, not too much, 22 April 2013
Lovely little story. Sweet and steady. Easy to get through without too much boredom. My little one loved it. Recommended.

Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar
Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar
by Mustashrik Mahbub

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 29 Sept. 2010
I stumbled on the series after a friend suggested the book for
a present.

A beautifully illustrated classic. I decided to buy it for a friend
and for myself!! The illustrations are charismatic and the story
fits so wonderfully with the images.

I know that it went down very well.

208 pages of intense moody visuals. If you're a sucker for
awesome graphic novels then this is for you!

Ten Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
Ten Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
by Laura Schlessinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Not completely sold..., 29 Sept. 2010
There seems to be a spate of "holier than thou" authors pedalling, at times, insufferable judgements on a generation where mistakes are at last available for them to be made.

There are many valid opinions - especially where she states that children are feeling less and less important. And that there has been a breakdown in society of a moral and ethical nature, however, in order for life (as we know it) to change we all need to breakdown to be rebuilt.

We are in new times. Perhaps I am an optimist and perhaps my faith in the human ability of being "sick of being sick and tired" that one day they will want change the life they lead is a child like fantasy... but i have it...

Her sexist and patronising comments about women being more like men than women these days sadly shows her lack of compassion or even want of understanding. Women have for hundreds of years been on the back foot of society. Not privy to the development of a nation or the right to express freedom of speech. And then, not that long ago, won the right to vote which has subsequently helped other achievements to be made.

The second world war brought a need for women to enter the workforce as men were fighting. This shot women's rights to the forefront of the political agenda.

Women have only been "free" (in some societies) for barely a hundred years. And it is only right that they will want to do all the things that men have been granted the freedom to do. Therefore the homes that women once held are going to fall apart, the state of the nation's health will grow increasingly because the home cooked meal is no longer the preferred option.

But that does not mean that this is a bad thing.

It means that things have to change if we are to continue as human beings. But, that also means an acceptance that we no longer live in a 1950's post-atomic world, which again there seems to be an obsession within the USA..."Whatever happened to the good old days??" actually that probably is the same for the UK too...

Acceptance seems to be lacking in her work. Perhaps I need to persevere and find out more about her thinking.

I will say this, a hundred years ago children were treated far more disgustingly then they are today. Even thirty years ago...we are far from a perfect society that is for sure. But to say that we are heading for disaster is ludicrous. The world is shifting, thoughts are shifting, enlightenment is coming.

Her book leans towards a dominant, controlling, manipulative way of relating to the reader and the whole of society. She's affectionately known in the states as the Psychotherapist with strong view points. It's good to mix things up once and a while i will agree to that. But, her preachy god obsessed vision of the world is scary. People in the US have been whipped up into a frenzy about her for many a decade.

The role of a therapist is to be supportive and to help facilitate change... not to tell one how they should live, that is down to the reader/patient.

Take what you need and definitely, definitely leave the rest.

How to be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
How to be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
by David Richo

5.0 out of 5 stars An Education i greatly needed..., 30 Nov. 2009
I bought this book off the back of an emotional meltdown. I was looking
for something to show me, or at least help me, grow up and stop behaving
like a teenage girl.

I've bought so many books in the last few years about commitment issues,
how to get closer etc etc.. but none of them had any lasting affect on my life.

Then I stumbled on this title. It instantly jumped out at me as I knew I
hadn't been behaving like an adult. I'm human, I mess things up. I had lost
someone that I dearly loved and cherished - I knew it was time to look at
my part in the mess and admit that I had to change.

There are very few books that I can honestly say have changed my life, but
this book has played a big part in my change. It's been a slow and at times
painful bitter pill to swallow, but it has been the pill I needed. It's frank,
clear and precise without being cruel or stamp snidey stereo
types onto the sexes.

There are so many books about relationships and they seem to paint a broad
stroke of inequality over them. David Richo doesn't doesn't do that, he
doesn't put people into neat little boxes. He does however go into depth
about why we should be nicer to everyone (including ourselves). Talking
about the five "A's" - Attention, Acceptance, Appreciation, Affection
and finally Allowing.

He breaks the journey down - from getting together initially, having
conflict, growing apart, breaking up or down, accepting ourselves and
then getting back together unified and more loving.

At times there is a romantic element to his writing, but I relished
it and found him warm and sincere. This is a book for people wanting
to live life to the full and love more along the way. He keeps it
simple yet detailed enough to really make you think.

Spirituality and Love is a paradox after all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 11:24 AM BST

Liberation from sorrow: Praises and requests to the twenty-one Taras
Liberation from sorrow: Praises and requests to the twenty-one Taras
by Kelsang Gyatso
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars The path... the journey..., 5 Oct. 2009
Introduction

Tara is a female Buddha, a manifestation of the ultimate wisdom of all the Buddhas. Each of the Twenty-one Taras is a manifestation of the principal Tara, Green Tara. Tara is also known as the `Mother of the Conquerors'.

Tara is our common mother, our Holy Mother. When we are young we turn to our worldly mother for help. She protects us from immediate dangers, provides us with all our temporal needs, and guides and encourages us in our learning and personal development. In the same way, during our spiritual growth we need to turn to our Holy Mother, Tara, for refuge. She protects us from all internal and external dangers, she provides us with all the necessary conditions for our spiritual training, and she guides us and inspires us with her blessings as we progress along the spiritual path.

`Tara' means `Rescuer'. She is so called because she rescues us from the eight outer fears (the fears of lions, elephants, fire, snakes, thieves, water, bondage, and evil spirits), and from the eight inner fears (the fears of pride, ignorance, anger, jealousy, wrong views, attachment, miserliness, and deluded doubts). Temporarily Tara saves us from the dangers of rebirth in the three lower realms, and ultimately she saves us from the dangers of samsara and solitary peace.

If we rely upon Mother Tara sincerely and with strong faith, she will protect us from all obstacles and fulfil all our wishes. Since she is a wisdom Buddha, and since she is a manifestation of the completely purified wind element, Tara is able to help us very quickly. If we recite the twenty-one verses of praise, we shall receive inconceivable benefits. These praises are very powerful because they are Sutra, the actual words of Buddha. It is good to recite them as often as we can.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Secret Gratitude Book
Secret Gratitude Book
by Rhonda Byrne

4.0 out of 5 stars To help create a state of happiness, 22 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Secret Gratitude Book (Hardcover)
I understand that some folk would be heartily disappointed to find out that this is in fact a notebook. However, for those of you who need guidance in what a gratitude list should entail this little beauty will help you start it.

The arguments above suggest that - if only they knew it wasn't a real book then they could have bought a notebook instead for a £1! Yes and again that's a very good point. However, I would suggest that the purpose of this book is to make you think of what you should be grateful for - for that day.

Its cover shouts "Gratitude list!" - which instantly springs your mind into positivity. Thus emphasising the whole point of being grateful and what the Secret is all about. Next, begin by putting the date at the top of the page - No. 1 I am grateful for being alive. No. 2 I am grateful for having body parts that work... etc.

I've had suggestions of doing a list with at least 10 things on it a day. Most people start by saying, blimey! 10 things!! I can't do that. But in time and with practice you will start to see all those amazing things around you start springing to life.

For people who want to be told how to live then this is not for you. If you are someone who is willing to perhaps try a different song then this is a tool to help aid you in that journey. It's a place where you can store all that gratitude. Then once you get the hang of it you can buy and create your own Gratitude book and decorate it how you wish.

I think it is a lovely idea and will help anyone starting out on the internal quest to happiness.

Happy travelling
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2009 11:56 PM BST

Addiction to Love: Overcoming Obsession and Dependency in Relationships
Addiction to Love: Overcoming Obsession and Dependency in Relationships
by Susan Peabody

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the well read self helper, 2 May 2006
Love addiction is not a light subject to tackle. I first acknowledged that I had a problem with sex and love over a year and a half ago and as most people know when they discover they have an issue they try and find as many books covering the subject as possible. Almost becoming obsessed with trying to find a cure or better still believing it isn't happening.

When I went to my first meeting a lady recommended this book to me. I must admit that I've been reading self-help books for nearly 6 years now, and have come to see the good ones from the bad. Because of this I found the title to be basic in its structure and diagnosis. Of course It is very good for the first time self helper looking for some answers, yet I'm afraid it doesn't delve enough into the subject for the person who needs more. It does touch on some great subjects yet again it skims too many complex issues, which really need a whole book dedicated to each one of them. For example they touch on Identity in a paragraph - which as many women love addicts know this is a fundamental element to the acting out. Some women use men to make them feel like a woman. I felt that she did not give enough help and resource to give the reader other options in exploring this fact. I would say that goes for many of the chapters. Not enough insight with little reassurance.

There are other sex and love addiction books that cover the actual addiction rather than tackling the whole healing process too. The fact is that the reader never feels like they've had their worries allayed. I finished the book thinking that it was a little too basic. I also have a problem with the religious tone of the book, which I know many of the American self help titles seem to focus so heavily on. If you like that then this is the book for you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2010 11:13 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2