Profile for Leigh > Reviews

Leigh (N E England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On
Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking. Holly & Jessica will never be forgotten., 17 Sept. 2015
Well written. Harrowing stuff; hard to imagine what the family went through, so this insight by Holly's Dad is a must read; to see things from their perspective. Written as a form of therapy for him but also interesting and brings attention to the difficulties and needs of both victims' loved ones and investigator's intent on seeking justice.

Scrumptious Treats For Vintage Housekeepers
Scrumptious Treats For Vintage Housekeepers

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me?, 20 Aug. 2015
I got to 15% on my Kindle with this before I felt nauseous. I'm a positive and mindful person and I love cleaning and keeping my house nice but this collection of "scrumptious" lavender scented, sugary sweet snippets is just too much. Deleted.

Russell Hobbs RHM2064R Digital Microwave, 20 Litre - Red
Russell Hobbs RHM2064R Digital Microwave, 20 Litre - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart and compact., 14 Feb. 2015
Nice looking microwave and does the job but inside fairly small; I have to tilt my dinner plates to put them in. Like the quick start function but a simple ping is enough for me when it's finished; this emits 5 long beeps. Overall, does the job.

Russell Hobbs 18941 Colours Kettle - Red
Russell Hobbs 18941 Colours Kettle - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Feb. 2015
Looks good, fairly quick but very noisy.

Russell Hobbs 18951 Colours 2 Slice Toaster - Red
Russell Hobbs 18951 Colours 2 Slice Toaster - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great., 14 Feb. 2015
Toasts satisfactorily and looks good; however, when the toast pops it doesn't lift quite high enough out and I sometimes have to switch off the electric and spear the bread with a knife to get it out.

Flick Kick Rugby
Flick Kick Rugby

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, simple game., 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Flick Kick Rugby (App)
I like it, nice simple game to pass a few minutes with. Only problem is; the quotes which show on start up and exit - it would be nice to be able to read them.. They flicker onto the screen so quickly, I can't. Any way of slowing this down?

New Year's Eve [DVD]
New Year's Eve [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

2.0 out of 5 stars SO Bad... !!, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: New Year's Eve [DVD] (DVD)
How on earth all of these actors signed on for this; I do not know! I've given two stars only for the beauty of New York at the festive season; She was the real star of this film. The 'storylines' are contrived rubbish, and some of the actors, *ahem* Jon Bon Jovi, Michelle Pfeiffer and Zac Efron are just unbearable to watch. Please don't waste your time, so many other great holiday movies out there!

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but not noise cancelling., 22 July 2014
For the price, you cannot complain about these headphones. Sound quality is excellent, they are comfortable although being right over your ear, personally, my ears get very hot if I wear them for a long period. The long cord is a bonus for me. My only disappointment is that they are certainly not noise cancelling headphones. They reduce outside noise but, in my view, not by much. Considering this is the reason I bought them, I was a little disappointed but as I say, for £12, I've hardly wasted my money.

Chalk: Courtroom Comedy
Chalk: Courtroom Comedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not funny to me. Unfinished., 28 May 2014
I probably shouldn't review this book as I haven't read it. I had to stop a couple of chapters in, which I hate doing with any book but I'm afraid that a lack of laughter, which other reviewers had promised, made me do it. Too many other books out there to read to persevere with this one.

Ghost in the Machine: A serial killer detective thriller (DC Scott Cullen Crime Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 19 Feb. 2014
For a first book, I think this is a pretty good effort. It certainly kept me turning the pages and I'm one to give up if a book doesn't hold my attention. there are too many good books out there to perservere with rubbish.

I completed it in a couple of days (and late nights). The dynamic between the Police workers did make me smile, as its pretty accurate and realistic, until DI Bain jumps to (major) conclusions and acts a bit unnecessarily malicious with his officers. The only other, minor, criticism I have is that some phrases are used repeatedly, which had me rolling my eyes a little, e.g. everyone "pinches the bridge of their nose" when annoyed/perplexed/irritated.

I'm not desperate to find out what happens next to DC Cullen, but I will probably read the next book at some point. I'd recommend this one, especially as it's free.

One last point, I think it was a really nice touch having the short piece at the end of the book about Ed James, his process of writing and rewriting and voicing his appreciation for those spending the time to read his work. Nice one Mr James.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 10:35 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5