Profile for humbella > Reviews

BLUE KEEP CALM And Keep on Trucking Mug Coffee Cup Gift Idea present
BLUE KEEP CALM And Keep on Trucking Mug Coffee Cup Gift Idea present
Offered by Duke Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent packaging, good quality, 6 Nov. 2015
good colour, excellent packaging, as advertised.

Jasmine Silk 5 Pairs Lady's 100% Silk Socks Thermal Sock One Size (3-7)
Jasmine Silk 5 Pairs Lady's 100% Silk Socks Thermal Sock One Size (3-7)
Offered by Jasmine Silk

3.0 out of 5 stars and the socks are comfortable to wear, 5 May 2015
The material of these socks feels very pleasant, and the socks are comfortable to wear. I'm not entirely convinced of their quality as yet as one of the pairs faded and another one has a hole in the toe already. As someone with not such a good circulation and who feels cold relatively quickly, I wear them under another pair of socks, which purpose they fulfil well. I would probably buy them again, although I would look around for other alternatives first.

The Magic Touch ~ A Short Story
The Magic Touch ~ A Short Story

3.0 out of 5 stars quick, enjoyable read without too much depth, 22 Nov. 2011
The Magic Touch is a quick and enjoyable read for when you want to sit back, relax and enjoy your flight. The story has the potential to develop in a very captivating story, yet it isn't quite there yet. I would have loved to hear how Ambrielle got on afterwards, and what her emotions and thoughts were at the time(unless fairy godmothers don't have these?). Likewise, it would have been great if Danny's emotions had been shown to us more clearly - what we know mostly about him is his resistance and the state of his house.

Overall, a quick read, grab it now it is still free. I think it would make a nice free gift together with a magazine/newspaper purchase rather than a purchase on its own.

Spine Slaughter (A laugh-out-loud horror short)
Spine Slaughter (A laugh-out-loud horror short)

2.0 out of 5 stars imaginary, weird, strange - unusual and different. just a time killer, 1 Oct. 2011
At the beginning of the book, the author asked not to take the story too seriously and guarantees that this short story will be the most ridiculous you'll read today. I fully agree.

Imaginary, weird, strange, unusual and different. An ASBO trying to escape from being killed by hedgehogs in company of a pregnant girl and a punk. I applaud the author for creating something different, and for having produced a very short story rather than an entire novel on this theme. You may want to check whether your imagination gets stretched when reading this book. For me it was ok as a time killer only, but it was nothing memorable other than "weird" .

Gone to Green: The Green Series #1 (Gone to Green Series)
Gone to Green: The Green Series #1 (Gone to Green Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, leisurely, light read, 23 Sept. 2011
I enjoyed reading this story about a journalist inheriting the ownership of a newspaper in a small village. A new life, new people, new challenges - not always welcome in the beginning, but welcomed at the end. It's rather predictable, but most characters were believable and the story made me wish to read more. The characters were reasonably well developed, and the story is easy and quick to read.

I wonder what the rest of the series will bring; probably some enjoyable, light reading without too much depth. It will depend on the cost whether or not I will reserve it for a quiet, relaxed weekend.

The Crew
The Crew

3.0 out of 5 stars page-turning surprise, just not my cup of tea, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Crew (Kindle Edition)
The Crew was an unusual book choice for me, being female, not familiar with the football/hooligan scene, not interested in football and not too keen on thrillers and detectives in general - but decided to give it a try as it was free. The book surprised me, and ended up being a page-turner. The beginning wasn't too interesting, but the story built up, and my interest quickly grew, eager to find out what the master plan behind this all was. It turned out to be a clever plot, for which several people were used, unaware of their purpose. This climax was the best part, but the descriptions of the violence are just not my cup of tea, as I found it too descriptional for my taste and I would have liked to learn more about the characters and their underlying thoughts, feelings and motivations. I'm more than happy to have given it a try, and I am convinced that the thriller/detective readers amongst you may like this.

Throwaway
Throwaway

3.0 out of 5 stars captivating story but execution could be better, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Throwaway (Kindle Edition)
Romance, crime, action, mystery, thriller, good cops/bad cops - all elements of a good story are present. The story is captivating and thought-provoking. I also appreciate that prostitutes are portraited as normal women who have emotions, thoughts, dreams, hobbies, and humour like everyone else; but who unfortunately ended up in the harsh world of prostitution. The main characters Jessie and Gabe are funny, likeable, intelligent and brave; and you make wish to follow them through the end.

So why didn't I think that this book is fantastic? The writing is poor in several places. The story is slow at the beginning, then moves on very quickly, after it suddenly ends.

By all means, give it a try - especially now it's free - it's still a good weekend read!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2011 4:37 PM BST

Read This Before Our Next Meeting
Read This Before Our Next Meeting

2.0 out of 5 stars good reminder, but not really new and not practical enough, 27 Aug. 2011
Having read this book I wonder to what extent its advice has been useful to me. I fully agree that there are too many meetings that are not useful, that we have to stick to time, that we all have to think carefully whether to call for a meeting and who to invite to avoid wasting precious time, that action plans should be produced and should embrace the brainstorm - but apart from that? Most of it is familiar knowledge, although application in practice requires still a lot of training for many. Holding meetings is indeed a culture, and sometimes we should stop and think rather than going with the flow. The book doesn't offer a lot of practical new ideas.

Besides, I am sure that there are many people around who would not be dealing well with information mainly transmitted via paper and paper agendas - there are different learning styles and several of us learn better when they hear information than when they receive it written. Refusing meetings that transmit information and send memos instead that are mandatory to read? It wouldn't work for all of us, and people would require a lot of training in transmitting short and efficiently on paper.

The text is a good reminder of some efficient business practices, but I'm definitely not going to spread the book to colleagues as the book asks. I was lucky to get this book for free. It is currently overpriced and it is certainly not value for money.

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, endearing account of a true,inspiring and brave journey, 21 Aug. 2011
Inspire, dare, discover, live your dream, do not give in, make a difference - these are themes that are explored in Danny Bent's book "You've gone too far this time, Sir!". The writers own account of his travel by bike to India for charity is not only inspiring, it's also entertaining and full of humour. Current society and watching the news makes us sometimes forget how many good people there are in this world, despite dangers he also encounters. Many people Danny never met before were eager to help him and host him, and show him their culture and habits, which he embraced, learnt from and transmitted to the reader of this book. It almost feels that I was the one biking as Danny paints the environment and what is happening with words.

Very much enjoyed - I was lucky to get this book for free, but would have happily paid for it as I enjoyed every minute of it.

Comedy. Memoirs of a bar steward (Part One: 14th-25th August: From the city to inside the Queens Legs.)

2.0 out of 5 stars not my type of book, 20 Aug. 2011
what can I say? Funny at places but no substance. You get some impression of the main character and his feeling of superiority, whereas it is him and even more so his behaviour that is actually in the inferior position. There is no real ending and the book stops without a conclusion or message. I did not enjoy the language but blogs and email format is well chosen. Not too bad a story but just not for me.

Page: 1 | 2