Profile for jedge > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Suicide Watch
Suicide Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars There's just so much pain, you know?, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Suicide Watch (Kindle Edition)
So I knew going in that I wasn't set for the literary equivalent of rainbows, cookies and kittens here. I knew to expect an emotional battering, and that it would hurt. But, gah! I wasn't actually all too well-prepared.

This. Oh, this.
A beautifully crafted story. Intense and heartbreaking and thought-provoking.

So glad I read it. Lost now I've finished it. Time to 'gingerly scoop up the pieces of my heart and mush them back together like play-doh'.

Loved it!

Leon's Way
Leon's Way

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong 3-stars for this read that turned out to be not at all what I expected :), 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Leon's Way (Kindle Edition)
There's a whole lotta story here and it doesn't mess about. 'Curveball' is right, I was yanked from my expectations right from the get-go.

Initially, I was pee'd-off at the turn it took, pretty sure I wouldn't like where it was headed. But, actually, the handling and the character reactions got me back on board pretty swiftly.

Then there was an incident around the midway point where I again got caught up in 'Oh-noes! Don't go that way, please'. Thankfully it didn't. And again I was pleasantly surprised by the direction that it did go.

There are some tough issues worked into this and **speaking from a never-exprerienced-such-things viewpoint (brain drew a blank on the correct word)** they're worked in well. The history and subsequent-demons Leon and Arrianne battle with made a whole lotta sense in terms of their behaviours, reactions, decisions and development. And the obstacles they faced as a couple didn't ever feel especially contrived or overly-dramatized.

Leon...okay, now, Leon was a douche. Seriously. But, whereas in the beginning he was a douche that kinda wound me up, by the end he was a much more sympathetic douche I'd developed quite a soft spot for. No, not to the point of me book-boyfriending him (though he does sound hot), but I felt for him and what he'd gone through, and I did love how he was with Arrianne through her...thingy(most of the time). *no spoilers*. And Arrianne: She was a likeable enough character, sure, with her own hang ups and s*** going on. But... although she generally had her head screwed on straight, there were a few points where she had me tsking and 'Argh!-You-Doormat'ing.

Niggly bits:
Couple of scenes that made me slightly uncomfortable.
And the 'My love' and 'My always-love' from Arianne irked me.
The increasingly weird eye-colour descriptions too.

All-in-all, though...

Yeah. Thumbs up.
Well-written, steamy (and a little kinky) with a strong plot to boot: Leon's Way was an enjoyably satisfying read.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not even think about D/Ling this. PLAGERISED!, 7 Dec. 2014
Jay Cute, you're a moron and I advise you seek help. Seriously, WTH, man??? This be crazy.

Folks, check out Kaje Harper's page on GoodReads to D/L the legitimate copy of this FREE.

The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl
The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. Not great., 17 Nov. 2014
The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl had a lot going for it: Well written with a vivid narrative, interesting setting, and a good cast of characters. I enjoyed the way in which true-to-life detailing and characterisations were embellished with a measure of weirdness, and I liked the take on the fear-of-change dilemma.

BUT...

I wasn't anywhere near as taken by this as I was by Life in Outer Space. There was just this frustratingly indefinable, yet very blatant...lack. I never felt fully caught up in this, the ending really didn't wow me, and it somehow seemed a lot longer than it was.

Superhero
Superhero

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Superhero (Kindle Edition)
I really, really liked this *Big sigh* Really liked it.

It's not an especially fresh storyline, but it's so beautifully told through tremendously likeable characters (Jordan's all cheek-pinching scrummy, and Owen's such a mega humongous sweetie), with plenty awww-moments, dabs of humour, and splashes of YOWSER-ness. Just...a fabulous smile inducing quick read :)

rock
rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think I'll be able to look at a stone as being just a stone ever again., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: rock (Kindle Edition)
Beautiful. Often heartbreaking, but so heartwarming too.

I cried. More than once. I wanted so bad to hug Cooper, and to scream at him and Jace (especially Jace) to quit being such massive tools and to just get their freaking s*** together. I mean, damnit, things were all YEY, AWW. Then, whoa, say what now??? Everything went to hell, and they were, like, just super frustratingly ...ARGHHHH!

Anywho...yeah, Rock was an incredible read. Top notch :)

Zero at the Bone
Zero at the Bone

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Zero at the Bone (Kindle Edition)
I'll kick off with the good...

Brilliant story told through very interesting characters, fully fleshed and well developed. The contrast between D, the emotionally shutdown hardman, and Jack, the goodnatured doctor with the heart of gold, was stark. And yet the sparks between them were endearingly bright; their deepening relationship very well executed. I liked that, although both characters certainly grew through their trials, neither changed beyond recognition for the sake of the other.

Now the, um, not-so-good...

My beef with this was that it’s rambly. Really, really rambly. I could only pull off short reading stints of it cos I just kept getting bored, irritated and frustrated.

My main peeves being:

The crazy-heavy use of metaphors and similes. Pick any page at random and, guaranteed, you’d find at least one. *Elaborate and excessive… like a pink satin ball gown embellished with lace and ruffles and bows and sparkles*. Prettiful and well-fitting, may well be, but kinda OTT.

The copious splurges of inner dialogue. There’d be a significant look/ action, and it’d be followed by, like, a page of angsty analysis of exactly what that look/ action was meant to convey.

(For me, both the above points acted to stilt the narrative flow, diminishing the sense of urgency in action scenes and the passion in intimate scenes. Also caused much eyerolling. Some implementation of the less-is-more approach woulda done absolute wonders here.)

The neverending ending. OMAG, it just went on and on and on. For every page beyond the very obvious ideal finish point, my enjoyment of reading it dropped another notch (and, yep, it fell an awfully substantial distance).

Condoms. Or- more specifically- lack thereof. Come on guys, seriously? Jack’s both a doctor and a healthy living enthusiast, yet he lacks all concern for the practise of safe sex? Hmm, that just aint right, man.

So, yeah, MEH is as good as it gets from me. Shame.

Made of Stars (Stacy Cantor Abrams Collection Books)
Made of Stars (Stacy Cantor Abrams Collection Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling really quite fragile., 17 Nov. 2014
I really want to write an amazing review for this, it deserves one. It's such an astoundingly beautiful story that will stay with me for a long, long time. Forever, even (I took these characters to heart and, damnit, they're staying there!). Thing is, though, the words to describe the soul deep impact this had on me...I simply don't have em.

Ashlin:
"It breaks my heart a little in the same way that it makes me smile. We're so close to a happy ending."

*Sigh*

I got rather, um, expressive while reading this -much to my bloke's amusement (he doesn't understand). There also may have been some harsh words thrown at my Kindle when I turned that last page, slammed with the traumatizing realization it was all over. Even now, hours from finishing, I'm still reeling. Still feeling kinda raw. And teary, too.

It's quite some feat to break my heart and make me thankful for the painful experience, but Made of Stars pulled it off spectacularly.

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey, Guardian, Novel)
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey, Guardian, Novel)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but daft., 17 Nov. 2014
This was quite funny but in an extremely silly sort of way. The whole thing felt kinda puerile and shallow.

Aisling amused and annoyed me in equal measure; she behaved ridiculously. Drake came across as an insufferable sleaze. And the supporting cast of characters seriously lacked depth and development.

I did find You Slay Me to be an entertaining read -I certainly didn't hate it -but it far from blew my socks off.

Five Dates
Five Dates

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Five Dates (Kindle Edition)
A very neat wee story, totally adorable.

I actually really kinda wish this had been longer, cos the characters were great and I'd have loved to discover much more of them.

Very entertaining coupla hours reading spent :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7