Profile for Mr. I. A. Francis > Reviews

Content by Mr. I. A. Francis

Mr. I. A. Francis "Ian" (Swindon)

Page: 1 | 2
Dr. Panda's Toy Cars
Dr. Panda's Toy Cars
Price: 1.79

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Dr. Panda's Toy Cars (App)
My daughter loves the Dr Panda games, but this is well below par. It's just two overhead maps and you drive a handful of vehicles round it. There is some automatic animation, like the fire engine putting out a fire, but you can't enter buildings and do mini games. Very poor when judged against the other games in the series.

Immortal L.A.
Immortal L.A.
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Very promising start, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Immortal L.A. (Kindle Edition)
I must admit that I blanched a bit at the description of an 'urban fantasy' (I'm not really one for fantasy tales), but this is an extremely well written book and I found myself feeling sorry that it had ended when it did.

We learn about the 'history' of Los Angeles and the battles between God and Satan, angels and demons, up to the present day. In between these short historical snippets, we get a series of stories from the perspective of different characters making their way in L.A. (including a real life angel trying to break into the movies and a con man getting people to part with their money on a training course).

The author writes with humour, he paints vivid pictures and brings his characters to life very well. I'm not sure I've ever read a book like this one - but I'm certainly glad I did.

Give this new writer a try - an extremely good start and I look forward to reading more of his books.

Vine
Vine
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't load my vines, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Vine (App)
Enjoying looking at other people's vines, but whilst it allows me to make one, it just hangs and hangs and refuses to upload. Disappointing.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars won't work, 29 Dec 2013
Took ages to install. Wouldn't go past the intro and 'new game' before throwing me out. Uninstalled, put back on, still won't work.

Waste of 99p in my case.

FORGOTTEN WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 6)
FORGOTTEN WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars The witness series just got better..., 20 Dec 2013
I have a confession to make before my review, in that I am the Ian Francis in the book, and my daughter is called Amelia. You would therefore expect my review to be biased, but this truly is a fantastic, exciting book.

The basic premise is that Ian literally collides with our heroine, Josie Bates, and gives her information, supposedly about her missing ward, Hannah. Although he is dismissed as a madman, Josie digs into his background and finds out a whole lot more than she bargained for, including about her life.

I've loved Rebecca's books since the first 'witness' title (Hostile Witness, which is free to download) and have read 11 or 12 of her books now. I honestly believe this stands with the best of them. In Josie, she has created a strong, likeable character, surrounded by a fantastic supporting cast.

I love legal thrillers anyway, and this writer stands shoulder to shoulder with any in that genre (ironically, whilst Josie is a lawyer, much of the witness series is set outside the courtroom, but others in Rebecca's body of work cover the drama of court cases).

What more is there to say? If you haven't read the witness series, treat yourself and get the first one free. Then love it as I have and move onto the other five.

If you've read the first five, what are you still doing here? Get reading.

The witness series just raised its game once more.

BookAnd : Your Dream Bookstore
BookAnd : Your Dream Bookstore
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars promising, but ultimately frustrating, 8 Sep 2013
Just wanted an app to keep my books in one collection. Love the idea of creating a bookshop, but it's too sensitive - you turn the kindle one way, the screen flips upside down. So you turn it back, and it flips upside down. Gave up after it did this 30 times.

Eyewitness: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 5)
Eyewitness: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping page turner, 9 Mar 2013
For those in the UK who have yet to discover Rebecca Forster's novels, start with Hostile Witness (available for free on Amazon), and work forward from there. This is the 5th in the witness series, which revolves around the life and career of Attorney Josie Bates (not forgetting her family and friends, who play key roles).

Eyewitness focuses on the very different cultures in the US and Albania, and (without giving too much away) sheds some light on one of the characters. The author has clearly done some research of the latter country, and made me feel as if I were really there. We alternate between flashbacks (of the 60s forwards) and the present day, and eventually the two collide head on in a very clever ending.

This is as good as any of the witness books, and shows Rebecca is very much on form. In Josie, she has created a strong female lead, who certainly is not perfect, but clearly cares, does her best and is a very likeable character. Having read all 5 books, I have grown to love Josie, Archer, Hannah, Billy and the rest.

Other than the witness books, the author has written a number of other legal thrillers, and all of these stand against others I have read and loved of that genre.

Give these books a try, you won't regret it.

Expert Witness: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 4)
Expert Witness: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit different, but love it, 6 April 2012
About a quarter of the way through this book, and it's just as excellent as the others in the series - however, it feels strange not to have Josie Bates at the centre of the action (for reasons which will become obvious) from the start; however, this allows other characters, particularly Josie's partner, Archer, to come to the fore and play a key role. I'm enjoying learning more about what makes him tick!

HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)
HOSTILE WITNESS: A Josie Bates Thriller (The Witness Series Book 1)
Price: 2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read - get this author!, 6 April 2012
Hadn't read any of Rebecca's stuff and liked the look of this one from the description - and I thought, 'it's free, why not?' Best thing I've done in ages, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a legal thriller like I do.

I've got hooked on the character of Josie Bates, and she has been turned into a likeable character, who is a very good lawyer, but like us all, makes mistakes and lives with self-doubt.

I have got to know the author a little bit through Twitter, and she's a lovely lady and a fantastic writer. Give this book a try, and you'll be wanting to read the others in the series immediately.

Football For Dummies (American Football - US Edition)
Football For Dummies (American Football - US Edition)
by Howie Long

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative, 10 Mar 2011
I only really got into American Football in the past year, having 'dabbled' in the past, and bought this to help further my knowledge. I knew the basics before this purchase, but this book goes into every aspect of the game in depth, including the different plays with appropriate diagrams.

I'm currently about a third of the way through and am really enjoying it. I would say that if you really have no knowledge of the game, then you may find the layout frustrating at first, as you'll probably need to hop about a bit to have terms (e.g. positions) explained - this is not a fault of the book, it's just that one subject naturally flows into another, and will therefore get into a subject that the reader may not have come across previously. The book does a fine job of explaining offensive and defensive plays, each position, and what that person does, the skills required, etc. However, I found it helpful to have looked at some videos on positions prior to this book (nfl.com is a very useful site for helping with this) so that the terms didn't come as a complete surprise - I think I would have been completely confused otherwise.

If you are a 'newbie' to the sport, you could do a lot worse than pick this up.

Page: 1 | 2