Profile for Ros France > Reviews

Content by Ros France

Ros France (South West France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Can You Escape
Can You Escape

5.0 out of 5 stars Good thinking fun, not too easy but not ridiculously hard, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Can You Escape (App)
My only complaint is that there are only 10 levels, which makes it far, far too short. I was done and dusted within a few hours

The Back Road
The Back Road

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, passed the time, nothing more, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book due to the large number of 5 star reviews, but was very disappointed. I can't put my finger on exactly what was missing for me - the plot was okay but I had worked out the ending pretty much before I was 25% through the book, I can't say that the author made me care particularly much about any of the characters, and I felt the book dragged quite badly in places. It wasn't badly written, it was just okay, average, nothing special. I wish I could be more constructive - sorry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 6:14 PM BST

What Have I Done? (No Greater Love)
What Have I Done? (No Greater Love)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling - did not finish, 10 Mar. 2013
I bought this book on the strength of all the glowing reviews, then wondered if I was reading a different book. I persevered until the 14% mark then gave up due to complete boredom. For me this could have been a compelling, gripping story but it was totally spoiled by the long rambling dialogue.

Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD
Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IF YOU WANT IT TO RECORD THE BBC OLYMPIC CHANNELS, 30 July 2012
None of the Humax Freesat boxes have the software to record the extra BBC Olympic channels. According to their Facebook Page They are "Working on it".............more than a little late in the day. Their response to customer concerns and complaints via FB has been rare and lacksadaisical. I won`t be buying another product from this company ever again simply because of their lack of foresight and complete inability to keep cus formers updated.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 7:22 PM BST

Me Before You
Me Before You

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing characters, a thoroughly good read, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this with some trepidation as I don't read chick-lit and the book jacket looked very much of that genre, but I trusted in the reviews and am so glad I bought it! The author deals with dark and difficult subjects (rape, the right to die) with a light, deft touch, the characters are well-rounded and totally believable, and the author is continually moving the plot forward. I found the odd chapter written from someone else's perspective a little clumsy at times,but that aside this was a book which I read pretty much at one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed. To be honest if I have one major criticism it is that the book was too short.

THINK FAST DIE LAST
THINK FAST DIE LAST

1.0 out of 5 stars Plot not even vaguely credible - just plain daft!, 10 May 2012
I downloaded this due to the number of good reviews, I think everyone else must be friends/relatives of the author or perhaps they were all reading another book completely. Cardboard cut-out characterisations, thin and incredible plotline, characters dealing with situations in a fairly nonsensical fashion throughout. At no time was I "gripped", or at "the edge of my seat", I gave up reading one third of the way through as the book bored and annoyed me so much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2012 11:11 PM BST

The Vault: (A Wexford Case) (Inspector Wexford series Book 23)
The Vault: (A Wexford Case) (Inspector Wexford series Book 23)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly disappointed, 2 Dec. 2011
I'll start by saying I am a devoted Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine fan, often buying her books as soon as they are published.................but after some below average offerings in the last few years I have to say The Vault is just about rock bottom.

In general a long ramble with a sub-plot involving one of Wexford's daughters which wasn't really a "plot" at all (in fact I am convinced it was added at some stage just to make the book up to a respectable page count!). The book is a sad sequel to the magnificent "Sight For Sore Eyes" featuring a now-retired Wexford, whom we are to believe recently left a top ranking police career without ever managing to learn how to send an email, use the internet or to have even gained a passing knowledge of police data bases. No, Wexford tracks down his witnesses by walking the streets of London and "accidently" happening on the right people, and by interviewing suspects despite the fact he has no official standing whatsoever.

Rendell was always spot on with the psychology of her characters, sadly this no longer applies - people act out of character throughout the book, and by the time I reached the last few chapters I could not care less whodunnit as the whole plot was beyond belief - we have millionaires living in shabby flats, a woman who is scared of the police suddenly making a formal complaint, owners of expensive housing blithely leaving gates and doors unlocked in a capital city and Wexford acting like a Victorian patriach.

I can only assume one of two things: Either the publishers are simply willing to print anything with Rendell's name on it for the sake of profit, no matter how bad the book OR the publishers are scared to offer Rendell constructive criticism in case they lose their cash-cow.

Okay, every writer produces a turkey now and again, and Ruth Rendell has produced far more high calibre books than she has damp squibs...........but after this latest experience I won't be rushing to buy the next Rendell/Vine offering, I shall be waiting for it to appear in charity shops or on a £1.99 offer instead. The Vault was a complete waste of money.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 11:59 AM GMT

Lullaby
Lullaby

2.0 out of 5 stars Started well, then rambled, ended on a squib, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Lullaby (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the strength of other reviews, and mainly wish I had saved my money.

The book started well, for the first hundred pages I was quite engrossed & was reminded of some of the best offerings from Nicci French, but gradually the heroine become more and more irritating, the characters less and less believable, in fact the middle third of the book seemed like one long ramble with increasingly bizarre actions taken by the police and the main character. The last third of the book was frankly muddled, unbelievable and full of loose ends or unanswered questions. Not a book I would recommend.

Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed series Book 3)
Saving Rachel (Donovan Creed series Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Plain silly, 17 Feb. 2011
I downloaded this because of all the rave reviews - maybe I am missing something, I thought it was plain silly, totally unbelievable, rather confusing and really rather boring.

The Crimson Petal And The White
The Crimson Petal And The White
by Michel Faber

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched historical fiction with a difference, 5 Feb. 2011
When I bought this book I hoped for a good plot with realistic characters and hoped that it would not descend into some sort of costumed erotica with little real substance. I decided to take a chance and was not disappointed - the book has been very well researched, is full of interesting historical detail, contained interesting characters and really did transport me to Victorian London...............but I was soooo disappointed with the ending! I undertsand why it had the ending it did but........

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6