Profile for Rita > Reviews

Content by Rita

Rita

The Memory of Love
The Memory of Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and haunting novel almost spoiled by a very slow start, 30 July 2011
I just wish this compelling and moving story had been told in fewer pages! Never having read anything by Aminatta Forna before, I downloaded The Memory of Love based on its many 5-star ratings and because the subject intrigued me. Whilst enjoying the lyrical prose style I found the first 30% frustratingly slow, and very nearly gave up. However, I did persevere, though it wasn't until I was past the middle that it really began to grip me.

I was struck by the sensitive and unsensationalised recounting of unimaginable horrors and their consequences, and the hauntingly evocative sense of time and place. I would endorse the glowing comments of other reviewers and feel it has given me an insight into a world I previously knew nothing about.

I am reluctant to criticise a published author of great talent and emotional intelligence, and do so only to encourage anyone tempted to give up to stick with it - it will reward you!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 3g has exceeded my expectations!, 29 Dec. 2010
At my request, my family bought me a Kindle 3g for my birthday. It was very eagerly anticipated, and I certainly haven't been disappointed - Kindle has exceeded my expectations! I adore the look and feel of it and, best of all, I love how quickly I found myself reading on it almost without being aware of its existence.

I've had it for two days now and am finding it very user-friendly; so far, every feature has performed perfectly. I did have one hiccup: when demonstrating to my daughter how quickly and easily books can be purchased and available to read, I found myself the owner of a title I didn't want, despite clicking the 'accidental purchase' button. But this was soon rectified following an email to Amazon.

If I could wish for one additional function it would be a backlit screen - though I'm sure that will feature in future versions. Meanwhile, if you're hesitating I would encourage you to take the plunge - Happy eReading!

The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy
The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy
by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP

2.0 out of 5 stars Maddening!, 7 May 2010
The Holford 'low GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, low-Glycemic Load recipes for weight loss, health and energy

As a diabetic, I initially greeted this book with enthusiasm. The 'science' intrigued me as it seemed to fly in the face of everything I had ever learned or understood about the principles of dieting for weight loss, but a friend had done well on the plan and the recipes really appealed to me. Bewildered at first, I read and re-read it many times, hoping that eventually it would become familiar and I would reach the stage where I could prepare a meal without having it open in front of me. After a week of frustration I started typing up my own 'idiot's guide'.

At that point, I gave up!

What is missing from this book is a logical, clearly set out plan, with GL values and portion sizes ALL IN ONE PLACE, and 'blueprint' recipes. Overall, it is inconsistently and badly organised. Even the index is poor - I ended up with dozens of coloured page markers to help me navigate my way around.

The diet itself is certainly enjoyable and satisfying, and may well be highly effective in terms of weight loss, but I, for one, couldn't stick around long enough to find out because this book nearly drove me nuts!

City of Thieves
City of Thieves
by David Benioff

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of an adventure yarn to be serious., 3 Jun. 2009
This review is from: City of Thieves (Hardcover)
Despite the gravity and horror of the situation to which it relates, were it not for the graphic, but plausible violence and recurring, but implausible sexual content, this would make a good schoolboys' adventure yarn. But compared to "Child 44" with which it has similarities and well worth five; I can only give this one three. A fairly good read, nevertheless.

The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Series)
The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Series)
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the translation, stupid!, 23 April 2009
I'm always nervous about translations. Plots can easily be conveyed, but is the prose of Shakespeare and Dickens, so superb in English, as enriching to foreign readers after translation? Well have no fear about this one. I don't know how successful this book was in its original Swedish, but Reg Keeland has ensured that the English version is the smash hit it has become. He's done a brilliant job. As much as I enjoyed the first in the trilogy, 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo', I found this an even more compulsive page-turner and can't wait for the third, and sadly last.

Incidentally, as these reviews are intended for those who have NOT read the book, as much, if not more than those who have, unlike many other reviewers, it will be apparent that I have said absolutely nothing about the story to avoid ruining it for people lucky enough to await the pleasure of reading it. Amazon (and other reviewers), please take note!

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars An overwhelming reading experience, 17 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
Perhaps the author has overstretched his imagination in his many descriptions of eyes, faces and skies etc to the extent that the images he tries to create are impossible to picture in ones mind.

But this only adds to, rather than detracts from a story told in an unusual way, beatifully written, and encompassing every possible human emotion and action.

It enriched my life during the hours I spent reading it, and I believe I am not alone in rating this book a literary masterpiece.

Lush Life
Lush Life
by Richard Price

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read! But main theme defies credibility., 13 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Lush Life (Hardcover)
Well, there are two companions with the man who is shot dead by someone unknown. NYPD interview one; don't accept his story, and within hours, charge him with the crime and lock him up. Then, AND ONLY THEN, do they think to interview the second companion, who unhesitatingly confirms the other's recollection of events and he is immediately released from prison, severely traumatised, with grovelling apologies for false arrest. So, if you can overlook this unbelievable basis for the next 400 or so pages, with NYPD now trying to find the real killer, you should enjoy this book, as I did. But of course, with this perpetual niggle concerning plausability.

Roberts SOLARDAB-W SolarDAB Solar Powered DAB Radio wth Rechargeable Battery Pack - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what you they told me., 14 Oct. 2008
Neat, attractive and easy to use. But only 3/5 stars because if you don't study the small print before purchase you might think it is so eco friendly by recharging in sunlight - its main selling point and what will attract the majority of buyers. But it doesn't. According to Roberts' helpline the only input the sun has, is to keep the inbuilt battery topped up when the radio is being played, but NOT when it's switched off. So if the battery is low or flat you can't recharge it by simply placing the radio on a sunny window ledge. It needs to be playing, then any charge the sun adds is being simultaneously used up for that very reason. Possibly okay if the room where you always use the radio is sunny, but if it isn't, then it has to be charged with the mains adapter, and in my experience a full charge takes around 15 hours.

Added later:
Seen the many contradictions to the "charging problem" and accept them as correct. This is what can happen when an organisation employs people to advise and help customers, who pretend they do, but actually don't know the product. Happily upped it to 4 star.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2009 1:55 AM BST