Profile for GT > Reviews

Content by GT

GT (Manchester, UK)

Best Fairy Stories of the World (Collectors Library)
Best Fairy Stories of the World (Collectors Library)
by Marcus Clapham
Price: 6.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive collection of fairy tales, 14 Feb 2013
I hadn't fully read the description so was a bit surprised when a pocket-sized book arrived. I originally chose the book because I was looking for some pre-Raphaelite illustrations to share with my children, I remember being fascinated with them when I was a child. There are a few in this book but not many (so my search continues). The pages are very thin, like modern bible paper, and gilt-edged, however, because of the size of the actual book, the print is tiny and the illustrations are small. This collection includes stories from around the world, like the Australian Bunyip, and Aladdin is set in China. My children (ages 2 and 4) enjoy listening to the shorter stories, but haven't the patience for the longer ones - we haven't been able to tackle Cinderella or the Little Mermaid. I think it will be a real treasure once they can read on their own. Would've given it 5 stars had it been larger in size, suppose that's my own fault for not reading the description.

Walt Disney's Fables - Vol.1 [DVD]
Walt Disney's Fables - Vol.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Disney Fables
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.84

3.0 out of 5 stars My kids weren't ready for this, 8 Jan 2013
We watched this with my 4-year-old daughter and while she enjoyed the Prince and the Pauper with Mickey, the Ichabod Crane story was a bit too dry and slow for her. We'll try again in a few years.

Stargazer Lipstick Gold #114 5.2g
Stargazer Lipstick Gold #114 5.2g
Offered by Faith Cosmetics
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very gold-y, 8 Jan 2013
I didn't like the first wear so it went back in the box but I might bring it out again next Halloween and try again.

Donald Duck's Christmas Favourites [DVD]
Donald Duck's Christmas Favourites [DVD]
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chip and Dale - new family favourites!, 8 Jan 2013
I remember loving Donald Duck's run ins with the chipmunks and thought my kids would love them too. I was right, my 2-year-old boy was gripped and actually laughing out loud! I'm so pleased too because I wanted to get away from the Disney Princess stuff my older 4-yr-old daughter is drawn to. Finally, this is something they can both enjoy together. I now find them role-playing as Chip and Dale, unfortunately, I'm often required to join is as Donald.

Disney Princess - Beauty and the Beast: Super Colour 15 Piece Puzzle In A Frame
Disney Princess - Beauty and the Beast: Super Colour 15 Piece Puzzle In A Frame
Offered by Party, Stationery, Toys & Gadgets
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, 8 Jan 2013
I'm not sure if I read the description properly but when it said 'in a frame' I expected something a bit more substantial. The puzzle/jigsaw is about A4 size and comes shrink-wrapped in plastic - there's no box. It's only a few mm thick and it actually looks like the picture (I thought it would come in a box) and the frame is the purple border (and white puzzle piece) you can see. Not really the kind of frame you would put up in a room, which is what I thought I was getting. It's probably my fault but if I'd known what I was going to get, I'd probably have passed on it.

Disney Animation Collection 1: Mickey & Beanstalk [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Walt Disney
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 8 Jan 2013
I loved this as a child and wanted to share it with my kids. They absolutely loved it and we have since ordered more vintage Disney.

Mister Dog (Little Golden Book Classics)
Mister Dog (Little Golden Book Classics)
by Margaret Wise Brown
Price: 3.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit weird, 4 Sep 2012
My sister introduced us to the world of Margaret Wise Brown via "Goodnight Moon" and she soon became a family favourite. The Amazon biography of her says: "Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or poem. She thought this made children think harder when they are reading... She said she dreamed stories and then had to write them down in the morning before she forgot them. She tried to write the way children wanted to hear a story, which often isn't the same way an adult would tell a story." In the case of Mister Dog it's very true, she has thrown in the word "CONSERVATIVE" - though she uses it differently to the way it's used in the UK, ie I don't think Mister Dog is a Tory. It's a little bit weird in that there doesn't seem to be much of a story which then ends abruptly but my children don't seem to notice this and love it all the same (as they do her other books). The pictures are a little bit goofy - the boy is does have a freaky look to him - but my kids think the pictures of the dogs are hilarious and we always have to stop the story to copy them - buggy eyes and hanging tongues. If you love MWB books, then Mister Dog should be added to your collection. If this is your first MWB purchase, then start with something a little more universal like "Goodnight Moon", "The Runaway Bunny" or "The Golden Egg Book". I'm off to buy "The Sailor Dog" now.