Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Peter Bailey"

Page: 1 | 2
How to Lose Massive Weight with the Alkaline Diet: Creating Your Alkaline Lifestyle for Unlimited Energy and Natural Weight Loss (Alkaline Diet Lifestyle, Alkaline Diet, Detox Diet Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought I'd try something different!, 12 Jan. 2016
Marta Tuchowska admits that she doesn't understand the science behind this diet, which becomes increasingly clear as you read her book. Her ignorance does not prevent her from recommending a whole load of questionable foodstuffs. She thinks she ought to be vegan but she hasn't got what it takes to follow a serious diet like that. I too am not vegan but I have chosen not to be and not to recommend it to other people. This diet might work or it might not depending on which foods from the various lists you decide to opt for. This book will not help you to choose how to put together the ingredients (not to mention quantities of ingredients) for a successful diet. I am going back to the 5:2 diet: Michael Mosley knows what he is talking about and the diet works.

Walkers Map Central Lake District
Walkers Map Central Lake District
by AA Publishing
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value. Th 4 OS maps are infuriating to ..., 3 Aug. 2015
Excellent value.Th 4 OS maps are infuriating to use especially when your walk covers more than one map. This map does it all.

Paths of Glory
Paths of Glory

2.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Tales for Boys! This is my first and ..., 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Paths of Glory (Kindle Edition)
Ripping Tales for Boys!
This is my first and last book by Jeffrey Archer. Unfortunately the author has no respect for the truth and invents episodes just to spice the story up a bit. This is not what historical fiction should do. It's OK to invent the trivial details of every day life but Archer goes way beyond this. When writing about such an interesting life as George Mallory's, there is really no need to add incidents which are patently untrue.

Mary Stuart
Mary Stuart

5.0 out of 5 stars Zweig is an amazing writer and this is a really fascinating read for ..., 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mary Stuart (Kindle Edition)
Zweig is an amazing writer and this is a really fascinating read for anyone who is interested in the story of Mary Stuart and Elizabeth II of England. The first part of the novel gives a brilliant account of their relationship. I know they never met but they were still the most significant people in each other's lives. Some accounts (Schiller's) show Mary as the victim but Zweig makes it clear that Elizabeth was also the victim. Elizabeth would have given everything to be able to marry and bear a child, as Mary did. Zweig shows that Mary would have sacrificed her husband and her child for the sake of gaining the throne of England: she actively connived in the murder of her husband so she could marry Boand I suspect that she felt that, like Lady McBeth, she deserved her fate. Of course we feel enormous sympathy for her in the end but if Elizabeth had not had her executed, the Scottish lords would probably have killed her, as they killed so many of the Scottish monarchs before her. Being an Absolute Monarch might have been good for the ego but it was by no means as easy as it seems and thos were very dangerous times.
If you read German, you can buy the collected works of Zweig for 99p in Kindle version! Having said that, Zweig's stile makes for excellent reading but only if your German is really fluent.

Elephant Moon
Elephant Moon
by John Sweeney

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read in every respect, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Hardcover)
An excellent read in every respect. Well written, gripping story, characters you can easily identify with and a fascinating insight into the situation at the time. What more could you want? Well it's got elephants too!

Adam: A Sensuous Coming of Age Tale
Adam: A Sensuous Coming of Age Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a good read., 14 Nov. 2014
Definitely a good read. I started off getting hooked on the explicit sexual scenes and speed-reading the bits between and I ended up lingering on the story line and was surprisingly less interested in the sex. Most of the explicit gay sex on Amazon is sadly rather boring. This is not like that. The relationships are honest and interesting and the book is well written. I'm pretty sure I will read the sequel in a couple of weeks time and may well read more of Anthony McDonald's books after that.

Change Your Thinking, Change Your Shape
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Shape

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice try but boring and very limited in its approach., 22 Aug. 2014
Nice try, Ben, but is this all there is? There were some useful ideas and some interesting theories. For me that is not enough. The book is boring!!! I got fed up with the "Go to the gym and look amazing" message, which was really repeated ad nauseam. I felt I was wasting my time reading the book, if I should really be going to the gym. I find gyms good for building muscle, perfect abs, pecs etc. but the aerobic exercises that gyms offer are boring just like this book. Don't go on a walking machine, open your front door and go for a walk. Don't go on a stationary gym bike, get on a real one! I don't want to look amazing, I just want to feel amazing, be healthier and live longer and I want to do amazing things. I really don't care if I am the ugliest gnome on the planet (who would have a hard time looking amazing...well, amazingly ugly might be possible but does s/he care?).
The book is OK at best but it is boringly written, very repetitious, full of cliches, irritating phrases like ""in regards to..." etc.
While reading it, I was visited by my niece, who surprised me by telling me that she did not have a car any more and she walks 6 miles every day to and from work. Now don't say "We can't all do that". We can, all we need is the right motivation. I shan't bore you with the hard life my niece has at home: she is a VERY busy person! Sell the car, get a dog, go for a walk. Lif is too short to read this book. For the record, I read to page 321, hoping to find enlightenment.

Tigers & Devils
Tigers & Devils

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice try, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Tigers & Devils (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately you can never be sure if you will like a book till you have read at least half of it. For me this book was a waste of money and I wish I had not persevered with it so long: I read about 60 per cent. In a word (or 12) it was badly written and the plot was predictable and frankly boring. The main character was unbelievably obnoxious and it was incredible that his partner stayed with him for so long. I found all the characters shallow and/or confused. There seems to be a glut of trashy gay novels at the moment, so I will buy the cheapest or get the free ones. Some of them are better than this one. I found some better recommendations here: http://www.amazon.com/forum/gay%20fiction/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg2?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx9MJ5XQ7HKF6&cdPage=2&cdThread=Tx1UKW3AI43T2QB

The Assassin's Mark
The Assassin's Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 30 July 2014
A good read, especially if you are interested in Spain and the Civil War.I found that I wanted to know more about the Civil War and bought Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain, an excellent book. The Assassin's Mark did not really hold my interest till half way through and I would not say that it is flawlessly writen but I am glad that I persevered till the end.

Italian Lakes Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes Series)
Italian Lakes Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walks, 19 Feb. 2014
This book contains some wonderful walks. The Italian Lakes are without a doubt set in one of the most attractive parts of Europe and offer great opportunities for the holiday walker. The problem is often how to find where the walk starts and this book is very helpful in that respect. It will take you off the tourist route and introduce you to landscapes you will never forget. As the walks cover a fairly large area, a car is very useful, if you are to take full advantage of all the gems the book contains.

Page: 1 | 2