Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Peter Bailey"

Page: 1 | 2
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Shape
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Shape

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice try but boring and very limited in its approach., 22 Aug 2014
Nice try, Ben, but is this all there is? There were some useful ideas and some interesting theories. For me that is not enough. The book is boring!!! I got fed up with the "Go to the gym and look amazing" message, which was really repeated ad nauseam. I felt I was wasting my time reading the book, if I should really be going to the gym. I find gyms good for building muscle, perfect abs, pecs etc. but the aerobic exercises that gyms offer are boring just like this book. Don't go on a walking machine, open your front door and go for a walk. Don't go on a stationary gym bike, get on a real one! I don't want to look amazing, I just want to feel amazing, be healthier and live longer and I want to do amazing things. I really don't care if I am the ugliest gnome on the planet (who would have a hard time looking amazing...well, amazingly ugly might be possible but does s/he care?).
The book is OK at best but it is boringly written, very repetitious, full of cliches, irritating phrases like ""in regards to..." etc.
While reading it, I was visited by my niece, who surprised me by telling me that she did not have a car any more and she walks 6 miles every day to and from work. Now don't say "We can't all do that". We can, all we need is the right motivation. I shan't bore you with the hard life my niece has at home: she is a VERY busy person! Sell the car, get a dog, go for a walk. Lif is too short to read this book. For the record, I read to page 321, hoping to find enlightenment.

Tigers & Devils
Tigers & Devils

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice try, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Tigers & Devils (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately you can never be sure if you will like a book till you have read at least half of it. For me this book was a waste of money and I wish I had not persevered with it so long: I read about 60 per cent. In a word (or 12) it was badly written and the plot was predictable and frankly boring. The main character was unbelievably obnoxious and it was incredible that his partner stayed with him for so long. I found all the characters shallow and/or confused. There seems to be a glut of trashy gay novels at the moment, so I will buy the cheapest or get the free ones. Some of them are better than this one. I found some better recommendations here: http://www.amazon.com/forum/gay%20fiction/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg2?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx9MJ5XQ7HKF6&cdPage=2&cdThread=Tx1UKW3AI43T2QB

The Assassin's Mark
The Assassin's Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 30 July 2014
A good read, especially if you are interested in Spain and the Civil War.I found that I wanted to know more about the Civil War and bought Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain, an excellent book. The Assassin's Mark did not really hold my interest till half way through and I would not say that it is flawlessly writen but I am glad that I persevered till the end.

Italian Lakes Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes Series)
Italian Lakes Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walks, 19 Feb 2014
This book contains some wonderful walks. The Italian Lakes are without a doubt set in one of the most attractive parts of Europe and offer great opportunities for the holiday walker. The problem is often how to find where the walk starts and this book is very helpful in that respect. It will take you off the tourist route and introduce you to landscapes you will never forget. As the walks cover a fairly large area, a car is very useful, if you are to take full advantage of all the gems the book contains.

The Winter Ghosts
The Winter Ghosts

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best novel yet, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Winter Ghosts (Kindle Edition)
I have read 3 of Kate Mosse's books before but this is the one that prompted me to write a review. The author has really researched her material very well and knows how to craft a beautifully written novel. Linking the fate of a bereaved WW2 brother with the tragic history of the people of the Pays Cathare is a stroke of genius. I ended up thinking that it doesn't matter if ghosts really exist or not. What is undeniable is that they really live in the minds of those affected by these major tragedies of the past and that they therefore affect our lives every bit as much, whether they are real or not. And that is what matters most. I was totally captivated by this amazing story.

BBC Weather
BBC Weather

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a good app for weather, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: BBC Weather (App)
Thank goodness, at last there is an accurate app. for the weather in the UK and Europe. None of the others ever get my home town right, so heaven knows what else they're getting wrong. And it's free and there are no irritating ads - which make some of the others unusable.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but why is it so much cheaper in Germany?, 27 July 2013
I love my Kindle and recommend it to everyone. It is in my opinion the Volkswagen of ereaders. It is so efficient and so reliable. I am talking about the standard and cheapest version. I suspect that the more expensive versions will just break down more frequently and who knows how to mend a broken Kindle? But why does it cost 69 GBP in the UK, where most are sold, and only 51 GBP (= 69 euros) in Germany? That's a difference of 26 percent. Isn't it time Amazon rewarded us on this side of the channel for our loyalty to the brand? Of course we can get our German friends to buy one for us (as a present) but we shouldn't have to resort to that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 10:54 AM BST

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Berlin
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Berlin
by Malgorzata Omilanowska

4.0 out of 5 stars Good illustrations but you need more information than this., 10 Jan 2013
This book offers a good introduction to Berlin and enables you to see what is likely to interest you at a glance but, while it excels on pictures, it is very short on information. Ideally it should be read in conjunction with, for example, the Rough Guide to Berlin and/or consulting websites such as Tripadvisor too.

Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Offered by Smart Training

3.0 out of 5 stars Check the price of maps before you buy., 16 May 2012
This is potentially a very useful device but the maps are very expensive and you are often forced to buy a bundle of maps when you only need one. Check out the free OSM maps available online: these are often better than the Garmin maps, depending on how you intend to use the device. You could use your mobile phone for GPS and save a lot of money too but, if you have to stay online while using the mobile, this could also work out expensive. I found an excellent website for walks and bike rides in Spain (where I live) - wikiloc - and this is what persuaded me to buy the etrex (plus the free and very detailed OSM maps for practically everywhere in the world). Buy a good micro SD card at the same time, so you can store more maps and info on the etrex.

Suma TVP Flavoured Coloured Mince 250 g (Pack of 6)
Suma TVP Flavoured Coloured Mince 250 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by Ainley Organics

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 20 Mar 2012
This is good, healthy stuff, low in fat and calories and pretty low in carbs too. Ideal for anyone who is vegetarian or vegan or on a low budget. You have to add some flavour e.g.marmite and/or soy sauce and rehydrate it for 10 minutes. After that use it in place of minced meat.

Page: 1 | 2