Profile for Seamus Evely > Reviews

Content by Seamus Evely

Seamus Evely "Discover It" (Canada)

Luck Be a Weirdo Tonight
Luck Be a Weirdo Tonight

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Complex, 10 Oct 2006
This is the first of their work that I listened to. Upon first listen I was thralled by their tasty licks and their groovy backbeats. I have always wanted to find an artist that makes music that I would like to write myself. This album is probably their most unusual and I am not entirely sure that this is the place to start. Better to get acquainted with Maim that Tune. This however, if you have patience and see where their progressions lead to is probably their most rewarding work that I have heard. The opening track got me hooked and the rest is history as they say. It is almost too hard to believe that Fila Brazillia is not known by a wider community of listeners. I know from experience that everytime I throw it on when I have company over my guests will ask, "Who is this? I am really enjoying it". I will proudly retort with, "It is Fila Brazillia, isn't it good or what". Now my theory on this is that if they were not as underground as they are bands like Theivery Corp (which I am not entirely fond of), Amon Tobin and Mr. Scruff would be blown out of the water in popularity. These aformentioned artists are much better known in Downtempo and Trip-Hop and yet do not even hold a light to Fila Brazillia. There is an unspoken authenticity to their sound that defines this genre of music. While the others are just trying to keep up. I praise Fila's work heavily because I can understand their hard efforts on these albums that they make and their limitless imagination with groove and musical taste. I am officially a Fila Head!

Maim That Tune
Maim That Tune

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Want To Hear, 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: Maim That Tune (Audio CD)
I am fairly new to Fila's work. I, however, am not unfirmiliar with downtempo and such genres of music. I had heard of Fila from a ways back and kinda forgot about them to be honest. I now listen to these guys almost exclusively and cannot believe their musical taste, it is so freakin' addictive. This album like mentioned by almost everyone else is very smooth and chilled out. I think of everything I have heard this album is the most cohesive and easy to digest. On most albums I find at least half of it toxic, in a good way of course, but the others a little more difficult to really get deep in groove. I am a musician and understand the concept of mixing melodies to create one sound and these guys are maestro's of this art. Album highlights are A Zed & 2 L's, Subtle Body, Leggy, the first track, which I refuse to type out due to the title, and Harmonica's are Shite. These are some of the greatest pieces of music that I am yet to experience. Great piece of music this album is and is unparalled with most electronica that I listen to.