Profile for Alex P > Reviews

Content by Alex P

Alex P (Amsterdam, Netherlands)

Look at Me! I'm a Princess!
Look at Me! I'm a Princess!
by Claire Page

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is evil, 21 Feb 2014
I don't exactly know where to start. The book has only a few pages but it manages to encompass an impressive amount of misogynist propaganda. The main idea is: all girls need to dress up and act like princesses, when they are ready they can go to the ball, sit there and try to impress the prince so one of them will be the chosen one.

Now, I'm a man and I have a daughter and just seeing this book has annoyed me a lot. I would certainly not like my daughter to read this and think there is anything true about it. I can only imagine what strong and independent women throughout history felt like when they were forced to make their life purpose out of getting married but I know a couple of them, including my grandma that struggled with it, and they would probably roll over in their graves after reading this.

Some of you will probably think I'm overstating it, and some of you will probably like the book. If that's the case then, by all means, give it to your daughter. The world needs conforming, standardized, manipulable people as well because they are easier to manage. My warning is for the others.

.NET 4.0 Generics Beginnerís Guide
.NET 4.0 Generics Beginnerís Guide
by Sudipta Mukherjee

4.0 out of 5 stars good beginner's guide, 26 July 2013
This is an easy to read book, mainly for beginners, but I must admit, even after years of using generics and LINQ constructions, I have still learned a couple of things from it (for example ObservableCollections, or some LINQ tricks). The format is quite similar to a technical cookbook, full of specific case recipes, which might make it quite segmented for a book you want to read from beginning to the end. On the other side, it is easy to skip between the sections as you wish, without needing to follow the order. Some examples seem forced, as an experienced programmer would think immediately of a better way of achieving the result, but being a book with a specific target (generics) this can be forgiven. If you are a beginner, though, keep in mind that this book is only trying to teach you how generics and related technologies work and not how to program and don't assume the examples are trying to be best practices. For example, in many cases, using arrays or custom types would make more sense and be faster but the author uses lists and dictionaries to illustrate the point.

For me, the most useful chapters were "Concurrent Collections" and the last one on best practices and performance. I think the book keeps its promise of being a good beginner's guide and is a valid lecture for seasoned developers as well. All in all, I didn't feel like I have wasted my time reading it.

HTML5 Games: Creating Fun with HTML5, CSS3 and WebGL
HTML5 Games: Creating Fun with HTML5, CSS3 and WebGL
by Jacob Seidelin

4.0 out of 5 stars delivers what it promises, 11 Feb 2012
This book is very useful for both beginners and experienced programmers that want to get into the new web technologies.
I have quite some experience with web and some of the parts I went through very quickly but others were very helpful in explaining how HTML5 or CSS3 features actually work. Most of the times, the book also covers polyfills (workarounds) for older browsers. The book takes a specific game idea (bejeweled clone) and goes through all the steps, from the splash screen to 3D webgl or audio, to create a complete game.
I have read it and created the example in 4 days and I have learned quite a lot. There are though some typos in the code examples in the book, a couple of which made me waste some time debugging. You might want to use the code in the example files, downloadable from the publisher site. On the other side, the debugging time plus the fact that I wanted to use jquery, instead of dom and other libraries in the book, helped me understand the code better.
All in all a useful and easy to read book.

Creative Character Design
Creative Character Design
by Bryan Tillman

5.0 out of 5 stars quick to read and full of useful tips, 11 Jan 2012
I am not an artist at all. I am just trying to improve my artistic skills to use on my hobby game designs.
This has been a very interesting book and I have read it in 2-3 days. A very easy read, takes the reader through all the steps of creating a character to use in animations, graphical novels, etc.

The style of writing, giving many examples both in stories and drawings, is quite easy and I've found myself going through it very fast.
The parts about being original and references were especially useful to me as I've always thought I would need to create something 100% original and never before seen to call myself an artist.

All in all a very useful book and I didn't feel like any minute reading it was wasted.

The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses
The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses
by Jesse Schell

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is hard to beat, 18 May 2011
I am not a professional game designer but I am trying to get there as a hobbyist. I can do programming well, I have ideas but I needed to find a way to transform them into something that would be fun for me to do and for the user to experience. I have tried a couple of game design books but I must say this is the best one and is very inspiring. It tries to explain what the process of designing a game means while looking at games from all different point of views: game theory, psychology, entertainment, social interaction, technology, etc...
Definitely a must for any (professional/amateur/wannabe/anything else) game designer out there.

Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011]
Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Emily Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars more an experience than just a movie, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Sucker Punch [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I must say this has been one of the best movie experiences I have had lately. I came out of the theater with a really interesting feeling. I am sorry to see it getting poor reviews from people that don't seem to understand the whole point of it. I went in with the same idea of it being a mindless action manga video games hybrid and I was prepared for a couple of hours of just running around and shooting/fighting. But it turned out to be way more than that. Of course it didn't live up to the trailer, but it went into a completely unexpected direction (compared to the trailer) and surprised me in a very positive way.
As far as Zack Snyder is concerned I must say "chapeau". I have seen both 300 and Watchmen but after seeing this they actually felt like sketches and trials preparing for the real thing. The images are awesome and so is the soundtrack.

In the end it is a matter of taste but I feel that many people didn't go further than the trailer in judging this movie and that doesn't make it justice. I will definitely see it again and I will definitely buy the bluray, especially a director's cut, since my respect for this director just went up.

Anyways, my message is: don't avoid seeing it because of the bad reviews. They are solely a matter of taste and you will find quite a number of people that appreciate it as well.