Profile for James > Reviews

She'll Be Wearing Pink Pyjamas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Walters
Price: 4.45

4.0 out of 5 stars The memory cheats..., 14 Jun 2014
I bought this because I remember watching it on Channel Four back when it was made. I think it does have a great message, and that the performances are interesting and the characters are memorable. I just think that maybe there are some inexplicable edits on this DVD? Bits that I thought I remembered don't seem to be there, and there are bits of the plot which don't make sense because of it...like the zipwire at the end (shh, spoilers). But it has a fantastic cast (sixties Doctor Who fans avert your eyes though!) and if you were a feminist in the eighties, it will make you sigh at how many backwards steps the modern world has taken in terms of female (and individual) emancipation. Might be lending this to some of my twenty-something colleagues!

Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't watched it yet you really should, 14 Jun 2014
I avoided Game of Thrones because I thought it was going to be a bit of naff fantasy adventure. And I was wrong! If you liked the intrigue and politics and plot twists of Rome, you'll love this and then some. Just don't get too attached to any of the characters...

Also, Peter Dinklage plays an interesting character (who really does get all the best lines) - this show wins awards beacuse it is just brilliant. We started watching three weeks ago and are addicted. We're about to start Season Three, and hope that Season Four gets to DVD pretty soon...

100 Pushups
100 Pushups
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good way of tracking progress...but could be improved, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: 100 Pushups (App)
This is a great way of keeping track of how far you have got in the six week challenge. However, the reminders don't seem to be related to whether you have/haven't completed the next step - it would be better if the app could remind you that you are due to have completed another day. Also, it would be nice to be able to compare your progress with other people - not in a competitive way, but as reassurance on the days where you totally suck at it! I like that there is the opportunity to reset or restart at a particular week. Haven't used that yet, but as I am struggling at week four, reckon I might need it! All in all a great little tool to keep you on track. I would definitely not have stuck with the challenge without the app.

DAILY MIRROR
DAILY MIRROR

1.0 out of 5 stars not free at all, 11 May 2014
This review is from: DAILY MIRROR (App)
only clicked on the link because it said it was free. It isn't free. i have deleted the app already.

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short!, 11 May 2014
As usual this is a lovely feel-good book. Won't spoil the plot in the review, but quite a dark story is given a heartwarming spin. Shame that some of the resolutions are dealt with 'off camera', but good that the path you lead yourself up proves to be the wrong one. Shame there weren't a few more chapters though...

August [DVD]
August [DVD]
Dvd ~ Murray Bartlett
Offered by fat_buddha
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It isn't what the trailer makes it out to be..., 11 May 2014
This review is from: August [DVD] (DVD)
It's not quite what we were expecting having watched the trailer. It feels a little like we're not going anywhere, and sets up a few 'tricks' which don't get followed up on or repetaed enough (listen to the radio weather report...)

Solitaire for Kindle Fire
Solitaire for Kindle Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Advert every game..., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Solitaire for Kindle Fire (App)
You get an advert after every game. Snore. It just smacks of desperation from some internet marketer. Still, it only takes a second to press the X and you don't have to read the darned things.

Chess Free
Chess Free

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great..., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Chess Free (App)
I wanted to get back into chess. Unfortunately, even on the easiest setting I can't win, whereas I'm fairly sure I could beat some players. Not really giving me what I want...

Men's Fitness UK Magazine: lose weight, build muscle
Men's Fitness UK Magazine: lose weight, build muscle

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my digital and print subscription, 30 Jan 2014
This is great - I've upgraded my subscription so that I get the digital version as well as the print. I still like the paper copy for carrying around, but you can save useful pages on the app. Am a fan.

Jewels Classic
Jewels Classic

1.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheap, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jewels Classic (App)
It just doesn't feel as good as games it's trying to be, sorry. Not bad for free, but maybe worth paying for the real thing instead.

Page: 1 | 2