Profile for Steve > Reviews

Panasonic ES-LV95 5-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men, Stainless
Panasonic ES-LV95 5-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men, Stainless

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver but expensive, 4 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one formidable looking shaver. In use, it turns out to be well-balanced in the hand, and one adapts to the large shaving area. My current shaver is a Braun Series 7 which I like very much. How does this compare? Well, I'd say that on my skin the Panasonic gives pretty much the same quality of shave as the Braun 7. Which is good. The Panasonic is noisier, and its battery life, in my experience, does not match the astonishing life of the Braun (well over two weeks). I have not used the Panasonic cleaner unit; I find these too bothersome and just wash the cutter under the tap.

The shaver comes with a carry case and cleaning fluid. It does not have to be placed into the cleaning unit to charge, just use the lead supplied.

Overall, a very good shaver, but the price is high.

Braun Series 3 3040 Men's Electric Foil Shaver Wet/Dry
Braun Series 3 3040 Men's Electric Foil Shaver Wet/Dry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shaver, 1 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My current shaver is a Braun Series 7. It is excellent, so how does this Series 3 compare? Well, basically the shave obtained is not up to the same standards. But then the 7 Series is much more expensive. The Series 3 340s-4 gives a perfectly acceptable shave, but still leaves some hairs behind which the more expensive model seamlessly removes.

What I do like about the Series 3 is the trimmer, which seems much more substantial than on the more expensive model. Surprising.

It's supposed to last 45 minutes on one charge; I haven't used it for quite that time yet. It comes with charging lead, brush and foil cover.

Judged on its own merits I think that this is a very good shaver, priced very competitively at present, and I would recommend it.

Le Week-End [DVD]
Le Week-End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Broadbent

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and over-rated, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Le Week-End [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this disc. I'm damn glad I didn't buy it. Having seen so many positive reviews (I hadn't read any on Amazon at this stage), I thought this might be a treat. Two fine actors. And Paris, the most photogenic city on the planet. It began quite well, setting up the characters. But then began the feeling that this would be an unpleasant tale without any redeeming hope. By the end of the film, when the two main protagonists begin to 'dance', I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Presumably the writer thought this evoked their happier youth. It was totally unconvincing and an acutely embarrassing end to a waste of good acting talent.

But why all those rave 'official' reviews? What were the reviewers on?? Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail is quoted on the front of the DVD case - 'Perfect Joy'. What??? There's more joy in Saving Private Ryan. Amazing.

A profoundly disappointing experience.

Last Passenger [DVD]
Last Passenger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dougray Scott
Offered by Leisurezone

3.0 out of 5 stars Last train to Tunbridge Wells, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Last Passenger [DVD] (DVD)
It was only after watching the 'making of' extras on this disc that I realised what an achievement this film is. (Do not watch the extras before seeing the film). It emerged that the budget was 1.5 million pounds, all in. That may seem a lot of money, but it's peanuts when you're making a film about a runaway train thundering to surely certain disaster. Some inventive techniques have been used which have worked well. I won't spoil things here.

The story itself is told entirely from the view of the people stuck on the train. So no explanations of what the signalling control centres are actually doing. And in this situation they would be doing a lot. In fact it's best not to think about the technicalities at all. The biggest one being that this type of train with 'slam doors' (the non-locking type), and compartment coaches, haven't been used on the UK's main rail network for many years. This is not a nerdy thing, non-railway viewers should be able to work out that this is a very old train indeed. The other technicality being that passenger trains automatically stop if they run out of brake pressure. Even trains this old. Oh God, I am talking like a train nerd.

Apart from the last 15 minutes, which are quite impressive, I didn't find either the story or much of the acting very engaging. There is however at least one particularly impressive moment that may make you sit up. In fact, it's precisely how the crew managed to make this film on such a tight budget that impressed me more than the film itself, if you see what I mean.

Definitely worth seeing once.

And do watch the extras.

Weetabix Oatibix Flakes with Mixed Raisin & Sultana 475g (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Oatibix Flakes with Mixed Raisin & Sultana 475g (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Weetabix Oatiflakes with Fruit, 1 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Taste is a very personal thing. I normally have Kellog's Bran Flakes with a bit of muesli sprinkled on top for breakfast. These Oatiflakes consist of oat flakes mixed with a high percentage of raisins and sultanas. The flakes are softer than Bran Flakes, and frankly rather tasteless. The fruit is O.K., but overall I felt this was rather too sweet a cereal for me.

I'll definitely be staying with Bran Flakes.

Case Logic FSI-1095 SnapView Folio for iPad Air, Anthracite
Case Logic FSI-1095 SnapView Folio for iPad Air, Anthracite

4.0 out of 5 stars Case Logic iPad Case, 27 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well-built case, consisting of a hard plastic back, and a 'fabric' style front cover. It looks and feels smart. I particularly like the fabric-type finish.

It also doesn't draw attention to itself, which is, for me, a good thing.

Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite strange this..., 16 Dec. 2013
I'd decided to play the Blu-ray disc of Lawrence of Arabia this evening as a) there was nothing of interest to me on the box, and b) I had at last bought a bigger TV with far better picture quality, in HD. The transfer of this great film to Blu-ray is superb; above all else I have never seen the picture so sharp, so rich in detail, the colours bright but natural. There is a true feeling of depth to the picture. I can't judge the sound quality well as the TV really needs a sound bar, but that will have to wait.

None of this would matter if the film itself were not a masterpiece. Everything comes together: script, direction, acting, cinematography, and - often not remarked on - editing. It's all done to the highest standards. The first fifteen minutes alone are a lesson in film-making. After an overture, played to a black screen, the opening credits are shown whilst we look vertically down on Lawrence preparing his motorbike in Dorset for the journey that will, in fact, be his last. In due course we flashback to Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) in Cairo at British Army HQ. His interview with General Murray (Donald Wolfit) as Mr Dryden (Claude Rains, again wonderful) recruits him for intelligence purposes, is hilarious. The General, a man of action, but clearly not of patience; Lawrence, the intellectual and apparently effete, by appearance perhaps better suited to the Pay Corps. But O'Toole brilliantly demonstrates that Lawrence knows exactly what he's doing, gently winding up the General who gladly lets him go off for a 'bit of fun' in the desert. Claude Rains remarks that it's known that Lawrence has a strange sense of 'fun', just as Lawrence blows out a lighted match. And at that moment we cut to a shot of the sun slowly rising over the desert at daybreak, all rich orange.

I tend to run out of superlatives for this film. Freddie Young, the Director of Photography, and Anne Coates, the Film Editor, are as important to its success as the (all-male? I can't remember a single speaking part for a woman) actors. And quite possibly only David Lean could have driven this film through with such perfection.

The strange bit is that when the film ended and I switched back to live television, there, on screen, was a clip from the very film I had just been watching.

It was, of course, news that Peter O'Toole had sadly died, and this film was, without doubt, his finest hour.

More Chilling Ghost Stories (Audiogo)
More Chilling Ghost Stories (Audiogo)
by Charles Dickens
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars More Chilling Ghost Stories, 8 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is BBC Audiogo's second collection of ghost stories. It differs from the first in that the two CDs in this set have different readers; Stephen Greif on disc 1, and Gareth Armstrong on disc 2. Both are effective readers; Greif has quite a sonorous tone, Armstrong I found a little more pleasant to listen to. But it's the stories that let me down somewhat. The first CD has a lengthier tale (about 45 minutes) by M.R.James called 'The Tractate Middoth'. The title doesn't exactly inspire fear, or much feeling at all, but it is very effective in gradually building up to its climax. This is followed by a short story by Dickens which is pleasant enough. Over on the second disc, there's another M.R.James' story, 'Casting the Runes' about a mysterious and deeply unpleasant character who claims to have discovered alchemical processes; it begins well, but I found this rather long-winded, not helped by the rather flowery language used in writings from the Victorian/Edwardian period. Another Dickens' tale 'The Trial for Murder' finishes the disc. Again it's pleasant enough.

But there's the rub. The earlier Ghost Stories release Chilling Ghost Stories had two absolutely cracking tales, 'The Signalman' by Dickens (made into a highly effective short BBC TV drama), and 'The Bus Conductor' by E.F. Benson, which was used as the basis for a tale in Ealing Studios' compendium 'Dead of Night' (if you haven't seen this, you really should). This second set of stories just isn't in the same league. All the tales are read unabridged, and for once I actually felt that a bit of judicious editing might have helped.

Certainly not bad, but if you haven't got the first set of ghost stories, go for that rather than this.

P.S. I've just noticed that Amazon's description of the contents of this 2 CD set is completely wrong; their description refers to the earlier collection, (the one I do recommend).

Russell Hobbs 19820 Easy 2 Fill Iron
Russell Hobbs 19820 Easy 2 Fill Iron
Offered by blue moo

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs 19820 Steam iron, 30 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing that struck me about this iron was its weight. Having used a supermarket-bought Rowenta thing for years (very plasticky, but it's lasted), this is much more solid. The big plus-point is easier filling; the old Rowenta was a pain, having to dribble water from the tap into a tiny hole. This is easier, but it does take longer than the 4 seconds claimed however.

It does the job of steam ironing well. Used on trousers and the dreaded shirts, no problems. The steam system worked fine. The iron feels firm in the hand. I like the system for wrapping the mains lead away too.

Altogether a recommendable iron, and from a firm that usually designs things well.

Philips SHL5305BK Fixie On Ear Stereo Headphones with Mic - Black
Philips SHL5305BK Fixie On Ear Stereo Headphones with Mic - Black
Offered by TwinTrade

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Fixie On Ear Headphones, 30 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Possibly the worst thing about these headphones is the name. Fixie? Also they are not Bluetooth, they are wired. Having said that, the two most important aspects of headphones are comfort and sound quality. I was pleasantly surprised with the sound; good rich bass. But most of my listening is to classical music, which can be really demanding, and there is no doubt these don't have the subtlety at high frequencies that my old Pioneers had. But they were more expensive.

I found the Philips earpieces a bit small and tight for my ears. They do exclude a fair bit of external noise but these are not noise-cancelling phones. Also I found the lead far too short; I like to plug headphones into my hifi amplifier and sit at a distance; these are obviously designed for things like ipods and mobile phones. I didn't use the microphone so can't comment on that.

But for the price I think the sound quality is good, and they will do the job for non-critical listening.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20