Profile for Derrygeel > Reviews

The Oxytocin Factor: Tapping the Hormone of Calm, Love and Healing
by Michel Odent
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Oxytocin Factor, 11 Nov 2013
A very readable book yet based entirely on scientific research. It shows what we are capable of and how we can use science to tap into feelgood factors.

The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
by Hetty Van de Rijt
Price: 12.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder Weeks, 21 Feb 2013
Fantastic. Buy it if interested in babies. All based on eviedence too. It beats the books by routine obsessed nannies hands down.

Le Creuset Cast Iron Round Casserole, Cerise, 24 cm
Le Creuset Cast Iron Round Casserole, Cerise, 24 cm
Price: 145.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Le Creuset 24 cm, 21 Feb 2013
Great pot but a boit disappointed by the fct that the bottom is uneven so cooking oil flows to edges.

A Handful of Honey: Away to the Palm Groves of Morocco and Algeria
A Handful of Honey: Away to the Palm Groves of Morocco and Algeria
by Annie Hawes
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm travelogue, 17 Aug 2009
How does she do it? Walk along a street and get invited into local houses and meet extended families wherever she goes? It never happened to me!

Annie Hawes's strength is her empathy with the local people, her ability to describe without sermonising. She makes acquaintances everywhere who indulge her in copious amounts of local food. She seems to have no prejudices - she accepts what she finds.

A great gift.

Brain Gym: Teacher's Ed
Brain Gym: Teacher's Ed
by Paul E. Dennison
Edition: Perfect Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is the research?, 24 Oct 2008
Having sat through Teacher Training Days around 2001 where this approach was heavily promoted, I looked forward to getting my hands on the book. It felt then as if we were at the cutting edge of education.
I was so disappointed. As I tried to cobble some approaches which might suit my very needy pupils at the moment, I looked for the reasearch behind this. I was terribly disappointed. There were 3 or 4 abstracts listed only; little or no information on the sample sizes or outcomes. It appeared that none of the researchers was independednt, and it seemed as if the publications were not peer-reviewed. None of the studies appeared to have been replicated.
Instead what we got on each page was a homage to Dr Dennison. It all smacked of the high-sales techniques used to sell faddy diets. It was only then the truth became apparent to me: Brain Gym is a brand, a commercial enterprise. Dr Dennison may be a very cleverman, but his genius lies in business.
I am now starting to question all we were told in those training days. How much of that was rubbish too?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2012 8:37 AM BST