Profile for Anthony > Reviews

Anthony

Hot City - Expanded Edition
Hot City - Expanded Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Remastered CD, 23 May 2014
Not as well mastered as the BBR soul / funk and disco remasters currently being released but still excellent. I would have liked BBR to have done this album as I think it deserves better. The sound is fine, not as loud as the BBR issues which is noticeable if like me you play these albums in a carousel player and the sound suddenly drops when playing in random mode but I don't really have an issue with that. My complaint is the generic silver label and the half hearted booklet. I know this isn't a BBR release and maybe I shouldn't compare it but let's face it, the success of the BBR remaster program has to be the inspiration for this release. With these albums half the fun is the packaging, labels that remind us of the original label the record was on and a booklet with heaps of pictures and information, not just about the artist but also about the album itself.
I REALLY like this album but I just think they could have done a little better.

Chaka: 35th Anniversary Edition
Chaka: 35th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Was Great Then, Is Great Now, 23 May 2014
Chaka: 35th Anniversary Edition is not expanded like most of the BBR issues but when this great album has been remastered this well it really doesn't matter. Even if you only know "I'm Every Woman" which I will admit is the strongest song the album is well worth a listen. A good mixture of up tempo and slower songs but best of all Chaka Khan's terrific voice.
This is a classic album that needs to be in the collection of anyone collecting 70s soul.

Therapy
Therapy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Good Ones, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Therapy (Audio CD)
I don't like every New Mastersounds album. I wouldn't turn them off if they were on but there are only a few I have enjoyed enough to spend money on. These are:
Masterology, an amazingly good album that always gets comments whenever I play it.
Eddie Roberts It's About Time, only available through his website and after some ordinary work from New Mastersounds ir was a fantastic album to hear.
Theapy, I am hooked on this album and I am so glad I bought it. I enjoy every song and the more I listen to the album the more I like it. It is not getting the amount of enquiries as Masterology but I think it is equally as good.
So if you enjoyed Masterology or It's About Time definitely give this album a go, it's great funkin' fun.

Made In France: France Gall's Baby Pop
Made In France: France Gall's Baby Pop

3.0 out of 5 stars Shocking Sound Quality, 31 May 2013
I love France Gall, she appeals to me in every way and I was so waiting for this album to come out, I pre ordered it based on it being released by the same label that released the wonderful C'est Chic compilation of French Yaya Girls, the sound quality of that CD is dynamic and keeps the listener excited all the way through I thought this CD of France Gall would be just as exciting. I almost cried when I heard the terrible sound quality, the songs themselves are great but they sound flat and it is a hard album to listen to. I'm devastated that they would do this to France, even songs by her that appear on the C'est Chic compilations sound terrible on this CD, I would recommend avoiding this one and wait for the label to get their act together and release a version mastered as well as they mastered her material on C'est Chic
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 11:04 PM BST

Birthday, Deluxe Mono Edition
Birthday, Deluxe Mono Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars I Play It All The Time, 31 May 2013
I bought several Association albums at the same time, I only really knew Insight Out but Birthday has become the album I play the most, I make an effort to find excuses to play this album because I love every song on it.

English Electric (Deluxe)
English Electric (Deluxe)
Offered by FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars What Can I Say?, 31 May 2013
I loved OMD in the 80s and I find that this album captures their 80s sound while at the same time making it sound current. I like every song on this album, a couple of tracks have a bit of homage to Kraftwerk which is cool. I don't find enough albums in this genre that I really enjoy so I am very happy with this purchase and play it a lot especially at work where customers often ask what it is and where they can get it (it's not available in mainstream stores in Australla)

Buying Time
Buying Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Was Hoping It Was More Swing, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Buying Time (Audio CD)
The singles I heard / saw on YouTube were all very swing oriented, amazon suggested this after purchasing Caro Emerald, so I was surprised by how many pop songs were on the album. Don't get me wrong though I like the album and am glad I bought it, I like her voice very much, the songs are all enjoyable but I do find myself playing about 6 of them more than others. I work in music and have recommended this album to people so I guess it's pretty good.