Profile for Andrew E > Reviews

Content by Andrew E

Andrew E

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
F2 Management Accounting MA - Exam Kit (Acca Exam Kits)
F2 Management Accounting MA - Exam Kit (Acca Exam Kits)
by Acca

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - passed my F2 exam., 15 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent book, which enabled me to pass my F2 exam first time.

It is concise, informative and gives you tons of vital practice questions, which are ultimately the difference between you passing and not.

Wishing you good luck! :)

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
by Prof Mark Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing & brilliantly written., 20 Jan. 2013
I think that anybody who gets a copy of this book, reads the theory behind mediation and undertakes the practises with any degree of regularity will find the process profoundly rewarding.

The book is not only based on mountains of clinical studies and peer-reviewed evidence, but is delivered in a compassionate, non-technical and conversational manner, which makes reading it all the more enjoyable.

I have recommended this book to my friends and family.

The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD)
by Mark Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful & Evidence-Based., 3 Dec. 2012
With its place now on the NICE guidlines for the treatment of clinical depression, MBCT is not only evidence-based, but put together by a team of compassionate and thoughtful authors, all experts in their fields.

The underlying message is that our heroic, well-intended attempts at "figuring out" how to make ourselves feel better is paradoxically the very state of mind that keeps us trapped in sadness. Rather, the authors suggest the development of a compassionate, mindful awareness of your thoughts and feelings, a new relationship with yourself, if you will.

It is a core concept of CBT that our negative, yet often automatic interpretations of events is what causes us to feel unhappy, rather than these events themselves. Why do some people take a dose of constructive criticism at work as a devastating revelation that they're on their way out, whilst others see it as a sign of moving forwards, a golden opportunity to develop?

By learning to be more mindful of our automatic thoughts and feelings, we are able to step back from the cycle of negativity, observe it and ultimately move to break free from it.

It's not easy to lay out exactly what MBCT is and how I've benefitted from it in a short Amazon review.

I'll close with a few points:

- To make the NICE guidelines, which it has, MBCT has had to undergo rigorous review by independant experts for claims of effectiveness.
- You can get a good overview of MBCT on Youtube before buying this book, by typing in "MBCT" or "Mark Williams MBCT".

Finally, I'll add that I originally attended an MBCT course in London, whilst in the pits of depression, and I didn't have it in me to see it through. This is exactly why the authors point out at the beginning of the book that it is not recommended that those in the middle of an episode of serious depression attempt to complete the course. However, it does no harm to browse the book. I found that incredibly helpful.

I'm indebted to those reponsible for the development of MBCT, as it has given me freedom from what once dominated my life.

How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Win Friends and Influence People
by Dale Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Outstanding., 30 Sept. 2012
To add to the already huge number of 5 star reviews, I can say that this book is without a doubt the most influential and potentially life-changing I've ever read.

I would advise that as Carnegie points out, making the most out of the book requires a determination to review your application of its principles in daily life and to keep returning to the text to refresh what you've learned.

If I gave this book to 100 people, I can't see more than a few saying much negative about it.

Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
by George Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 9 July 2012
First of all, I strongly agree with the comments that the first half of this book was incredibly hard-going to read. I don't think I've ever read a book that manages to labour on about one single point for almost 50% of its entire content.

If the author had condensed that into a chapter or two, which would have been perfectly reasonable, it would have been an excellent start to the book.

Whilst it's popular to worship the internet as the golden solution to the daily grind of going to work, it is phenomenally competitive in every single area of earning potential the author mentions in this book. Please, whatever you do, don't think that it is a case of simply implementing his advice and watching the money roll in. It doesn't work like that and it never will. Thinking and doing as if it will do will cause you a great deal more pain than dealing with your current job, believe me.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't give good advice and that money isn't there to be made, but it, in my opinion, should be looked upon as a "potential supplement" to your income, as opposed to a substitute for a career you're not happy with.

Going down the road of "Internet Marketing" can very quickly leave you out of pocket. Internet Marketers spend thousands upon thousands of pounds/dollars employing highly-skilled sales copywriters to get people to invest in products and services that they promise will facilitate this process and even though I don't put the author into the bracket of being one of those people, the likelihood of you quickly encountering them by going into the online world that the author encourages is very high.

I think the author comes across as a well-meaning person and I haven't written this review to slam him. I've written it to make crystal clear the point that almost every area online where money is to be made has already been jumped on, mastered and entire companies have been set up to maximise its potential.

Read the book, by all means, if your curiosity entices you to do so, but don't cause you or family any unnecessary hardship by setting goals which are, in all probability, unattainable.

[...] is an excellent, unbiased collection of tips for supplementing your income.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 11:42 PM GMT

How To Be Smart With Your Time: Expert Advice from the Star of Dragons' Den
How To Be Smart With Your Time: Expert Advice from the Star of Dragons' Den
by Duncan Bannatyne

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Down-To-Earth Advice That Works, 9 July 2012
I found this book really useful in terms of learning practical, commonsense ways to make better use of my time and have successfully implemented a lot of the advice from this book into my own personal/business time.

Duncan Bannatyne's style of writing is very no-nonsense, in the sense that he makes points clearly and quickly, without dragging them on too much. I like that style of writing, which is why I've enjoyed his books so far.

The key lesson from this book is vital, in my opinion: "Replication is the best model for success because it eliminates risk"

What he means by that is that by doing things, such as time-management, in a way that has worked brilliantly for other people, as opposed to inventing some innovative time-management system, you know you're getting something that works, because it's been tested before.

Innovation is timely, risky and avoiding it helps eliminate risk. This is one of the wisest nuggets of business information I've heard, period.

For the relatively small price of this book, I think you'll get a very good return on your investment. That's been the case for me, at least.

LUPO Apple Iphone 3G/3GS Car Windscreen Suction Mount with Goosneck
LUPO Apple Iphone 3G/3GS Car Windscreen Suction Mount with Goosneck

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap & Flimsy, 1 Feb. 2012
I bought it this and as I was sticking it on my window it slipped and literally brushed the top of my car seat and snapped in two.

I wouldn't have expected much more for the price, but it was a bit of a waste of money.

It is incredibly fragile and flimsy.

I Want to Buy Your Product... Have You Sent Me a Letter Yet?: How to Create Powerful Sales Letters,Advertisements,Flyers,Brochures,Web Pages and ... Customers and Clients to Buy from You!
by Carol A. E Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point - Excellent Sales Letters, 27 Dec. 2011
What I love about this book is that it doesn't waffle on with long introductions about how sales letters are important and how the human mind works in too much detail. It just gets straight down to business by offering golden tips, phrases and words that you can use straight away in your sales letters/website.

I've got a few of these books and although this has fewer ratings compared to some of the others, I rate this book as my number one so far.

Get a copy!

The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book
The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book
by Dee Blick

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally Good Advice From a Qualified & Experienced Marketer, 17 Dec. 2011
Dee Blick has written a truly brilliant book in "The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book".

The book takes you through 8 comprehensive chapters covering everything from copywriting to strategic marketing plans to blogging and promoting your business online.

At the heart of it all is the quote from the late Peter Doyle, which she uses to open chapter one:

"Marketing is a philosophy of business that places the customer at the centre of the universe."

If you keep that principle firmly in mind, you'll be treading a good path, no matter what any other "Marketing Gurus" might claim, which brings me to a point I think is of critical importance:

In Dee Blick's blog, she wrote a post some months back about how the availability and increasing sophistication of self-publishing platforms online has given people a platform to share their expertise quickly and easily. The problem is that this leads to a breeding ground for the self-proclaimed "Marketing Gurus", dishing out advice that is ill-informed, ineffective and potentially damaging to your business.

The solution? Question peoples' credibility! Demand evidence of their track-record, as you would if you were employing somebody to work for you. Why should you listen to somebody who can't produce such evidence?

In Dee Blick you've got somebody who has a superb track-record, as well as the qualifications to back this up.

For that reason, this book got my vote and, after reading it, my 5 stars.

Wishing you all success in your business endeavours!

The Depression Cure: The Six-Step Programme to Beat Depression Without Drugs
The Depression Cure: The Six-Step Programme to Beat Depression Without Drugs
by Dr Steve Ilardi

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent & Practical Book For Overcoming Depression, 23 Oct. 2011
I liked this book instantly. It is a breath of fresh air to read a book that is straight to the point and presents six very sensible and practical ways of dealing with your depression, which, when used in combination, are very curative.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone currently dealing with the beast that is depression.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3