Profile for Mr. A. C. Birks > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. C. Birks

Mr. A. C. Birks "Ashley Birks" (Leeds)

Genuine Apple Dock Stand For iPod Nano 6th Gen (6G) 8GB & 16GB Models
Genuine Apple Dock Stand For iPod Nano 6th Gen (6G) 8GB & 16GB Models

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Apple Product but for the Nano 4g I'm not so sure, 13 July 2009
I purchased this product with a degree of reservation. Why? Well it wasn't supplied by Amazon and it is advertised as a genuine Apple product yet I wasn't able to find it on the Apple website. At only £9.95 with free P&P I decided to take a punt.

Upon receipt I was confused further. It came packaged in a jiffy bag and then in a polythene bag but not boxed in the usual black Apple box! Once unwrapped it has the weight and quality feel of an Apple product (very similar to the original Nano 1g dock that I already own) and has the grey non slip base embossed with the Apple logo etc. Having revisited the Apple website I suspect it is actually the iPhone dock that Apple retail at £20 (albeit this includes the USB/dock cable). I currently don't own an iPhone so I cannot test this theory but I hope to shortly and will update this review with my findings in due course.

The aperture where the Nano sits is roomy which is unusual for an Apple docking station (which again leads me to believe it is actually for the iPhone). This turns out to be a benefit as my Nano 4g fits comfortably in the aperture even in its protective silicone skin with its lanyard connection that sticks out awkwardly.

On the rear of the docking station there is a line out for audio and a dock connector. There are no cables provided with this docking station but this should not matter as your iPod will have come with one.

You can either connect to your computer via the USB/dock cable that came with you're iPod which charges and sync's your iPod when you computer is on or if you have a mains charger with a dock connector simply use this to charge the unit. The audio out will work either way or even without a power supply however in the latter case your battery will run down.

I like the docking station principle as it stops the cable dropping down behind my desk when detached from the iPod and is a neat solution when connected. What started out as a punt has actually turned out well especially if my suspicions are correct as I will be able to charge my Nano 4g and iPhone (when I get it) in one docking station.

In conclusion this is a good looking and well built docking station that works with the Nano 4g even if it wasn't built for it and I'm glad I took the gamble. Coupling this with a reasonable price and speedy delivery makes this a great purchase.

WII REMOTE DUAL BATTERY CHARGER + 2 BATTERIES
WII REMOTE DUAL BATTERY CHARGER + 2 BATTERIES
Offered by Noors

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap & tacky, slow to charge and limited play time, 11 July 2009
I purchased this in January 2009 with a USB mains adapter.

Having unpacked it the first thing I noticed is that it looks cheap. The plastic looks brittle and is that thin it is almost translucent. The instructions are nominal but it's not difficult to figure out. Plug it in either into the mains via an adapter or directly into the Wii via USB. There is an OFF/ON switch on the back which turns the ridiculously bright blue neon light that rings the base of the unit off. It does not turn the charger off however you need to unplug it to achieve this.

There is a light at the front of each slot where the remotes sit. When the unit is on and no remotes are being charged this light is bright red on the left hand corner and fades gradually across the two light panels. The plastic is that thin the red light bleeds into the white in a most irregular pattern! When the remotes are dropped in this becomes worse as the light on the second remote lights up and the bleeding becomes worse. If you choose to keep the blue neon light turned on the effect is even worse as the red bleeds into the blue and gives off an eerie glow.

All in all very poor if you are considering purchasing this I would look at an alternative.

Charging Stand & 2 Rechargeable Batteries For Nintendo Wii With MAINS ADAPTER
Charging Stand & 2 Rechargeable Batteries For Nintendo Wii With MAINS ADAPTER

I purchased this item in January 2009 as a stop gap. Let me explain. I wanted a remote charger that plugs into the mains rather than the USB on the Wii. I really want the Nyko Quad Charger but as yet this is not available in the UK and the Nyko Charge Station (twin charger) Nyko Charge Station (Wii) is a quality product (my friend has it) but expensive as a stop gap. So I took a punt on this because of the cheap price, positive reviews and free mains adapter.

The item pictured on this page is not what I received. The product I received looks like this product Http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SNQUM6/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=037Q8K0JF4MDJVKN6SRM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294
which is currently priced at £6.84 with free P&P so the USB Mains adapter is far from free.

Anyway having unpacked it the first thing I noticed is that it looks cheap. The plastic looks brittle and is that thin it is almost translucent. The instructions are nominal but it's not difficult to figure out. Plug it in either in to the mains via the adapter or directly into the Wii via USB. There is an OFF/ON switch on the back which turns the ridiculously bright blue neon light that rings the base of the unit off. It does not turn the charger off however you need to unplug it to achieve this. There is a light at the front of each slot where the remotes sit. When the unit is on and no remotes are being charged this light is bright red on the left hand corner and fades gradually across the two light panels. The plastic is that thin the red light bleeds into the white in a most irregular pattern! When the remotes are dropped in this becomes worse as the light on the second remote lights up and the bleeding becomes worse. If you choose to keep the blue neon light turned on the effect is worse as the red bleeds into the blue and gives off an eerie glow. Once the remotes are charged the red lights turn to blue. The charge times are significant 5/6 hours to fully charge and I am now lucky to achieve 3 hours playing time. Occasionally I have even found that when discharged remotes are dropped in they do not start charging and the only way to get them to start is to unplug the charger and then plug it back in. The only redeeming feature I have found is that there is a hole in the battery pack which allows you to sync the remote. This is useful if you take to a friend's house with a Wii because you can only sync when the remote has power so without this feature you would have to find some regular battery's to perform the sync.

All in all very poor and the sooner Nyko bring out their Quad Charger in the UK the better as far as I am concerned. Even as a stop gap this is poor. If you are thinging of purchasing don't bother.

PHILEX 27833R - IR LINK EYE DIGITAL S
PHILEX 27833R - IR LINK EYE DIGITAL S
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Bargin, 7 July 2009
Well made product ideal for changing channels on a Sky, Sky+ or Sky HD box from a TV in another room. Easy to install and the addition of the short fly lead makes it ideal for wall mounted flat screen TV's. Looked at these on the high street and your talking £15+

H002 Telephone Extension Lead 5M Blister
H002 Telephone Extension Lead 5M Blister
Offered by PlusKom®

5.0 out of 5 stars On The Money, 7 July 2009
Good quality product at an excellent price. Actually item that arrived is as pictured which is not always the case with cheaper products in my experience.

If you need a telephone extension cable look no further is my advice

Neet® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port (1 input 2 output) - Active Amplifier -1080p Full HD - Display HD on 2 TVs - ** 3D ENABLED ** - Free Shipping
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On, 7 July 2009
I've been using this product for a good few months now. Having hunted around the internet this little item was as cheap as any I could find. Having purchased Neet products previously and being entirely satsisfied with the cost, quality and results it was the natural choice.

I'm using two of these with Sky HD to get around the boxes deficiency (one HD output in this day and age, come on Sky!) to output a HD signal to 3 TV's. Basically the output from Sky goes into the first splitter. The 1st output goes to the first TV and the second into the next splitter with the outputs from here going to the second and third TV's

This provides a synchronised picture to the 3 TV's with no loss of picture quality. Neet enclose a transformer with each splitter and I am using one of these to boost the signal as the third TV is at the end of a 15m cable. Over shorter distances this is not required.

Works faultlessly and I would definitely recommend. Likewise Neet's technical support is first class.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2011 1:00 PM GMT

Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX with REMOTE - 3x1 HUB (3 way input 1 output) - 1080p Full HD - v1.3b HDMI Switcher
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bit Of Kit This, 24 Jan. 2009
I've hooked my PS3, SKY HD and DVD up to this and it works perfectly with no loss of picture quality. It's hidden away with only the IR sensor on display.

I was torn between this product and another offering by Neet Neet 3 Port Mini HDMI AUTO SWITCH 3x1 (3 way input 1 output) but opted for this one because of the remote. I've hidden it away and have seen on other reviews that SKY HD does not always automatically switch back. I didn't want to have to keep fishing it out to manually change it if there was a problem. This is an ideal compromise and is just a few quid more. That said so far it has worked perfectly and I haven't needed the remote.

If you need to plug more HDMI equipment in than your TV has inputs for this is the perfect solution for you. It's at a great price (many manual switch boxes I looked at cost this much) and the service from Neet is excellent. Recommended
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2011 11:31 AM GMT

Wired-up HDMI Pro Gold, HDMI TO HDMI Cable With Ethernet
Wired-up HDMI Pro Gold, HDMI TO HDMI Cable With Ethernet
Offered by CrossCables

5.0 out of 5 stars Just The Job, 24 Jan. 2009
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) supports both video and audio on a single digital connection for use with DVD Players, DTV, set-top boxes (such as Sky HD) and other AV devices. HDMI has the capability to support standard, enhanced or high-definition video plus standard to multichannel surround-sound audio.

I have a 2 year old TV that has only 1 HDMI input. I have had a PS3 connected to this with an expensive branded HDMI cable that gives a fantastic picture. Having just upgraded to SKY HD and bought a dvd/surround-sound unit with a HDMI output I needed a couple of short HDMI cables to use with the auto selector Neet - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX plus REMOTE 3x1 Switcher HUB (3 way input 1 output)I've purchased. These cables are just the job. Short and easy to hide away and no loss in picture quality. As pictured which is not always the case when you buy cheep cables online in my experience. If I need any more cables I will definitely buy from here again. If you need a short HDMI to HDMI cable at a competitive price don't look any further these are for you.

TeckNet HD Component Cable for Nintendo Wii
TeckNet HD Component Cable for Nintendo Wii

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured, 20 Jan. 2009
This cable will improve the picture quality providing you change the screen settings on the Wii Menu to ED/HD TV. The item is not as pictured and does not look as good quality which really bugs me, I expect the item that arrives to match the picture hence only 4 stars. Also the connection is a little loose compared to better quality cables. That said happy with purchase and service especially at the price paid.