ARRAY(0xa50b7c24)

Profile for Mr. S. Bailey > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Bailey

Mr. S. Bailey "Steve Bailey" (Tuxford, UK)

Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD]
Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Riz Ahmed

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 25 Mar 2014
Recently purchased this DVD on the recommendation of a friend. I didn't find any of the content remotely funny. Terrorism or potential terrorism is no laughing matter, whatever form it takes. In fact, this film could potentially encourage and promote it's 'acceptability' on the basis of 'it being funny' or indeed a 'laughing matter'. The board of censors must have been asleep on the day they rated this film. In my opinion, they should have banned it - outright. I've had to give the film one star - in the absence of the ability to leave negative stars.

225 X 14 VRM020 VEE RUBBER TUBED TYRE
225 X 14 VRM020 VEE RUBBER TUBED TYRE
Offered by spares unlimited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great black round bits!, 1 Mar 2014
When I needed new tyres for my 1979 Honda Express, I wanted to buy Michelin or a similar big brand name. I soon discovered that no one apart from Vee Rubber appeared to manufacture this size of tyre any longer. I had grave reservations because after all, apart from your helmet, tyres are probably the next most important safety critical component in riding a motorcycle. Reluctantly, I ordered a pair. When they arrived, I was to say the least, highly delighted. Even more so once I'd fitted them. I have now covered about 900 miles on the initial pair I bought and since then, I have purchased a pair for a 1981 Express I'm currently renovating and a single one to replace the front tyre on my 1982 Express Deluxe. Don't dismiss a tyre because it's made in Thailand. These are brilliant tyres!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

2.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully crafted reader but with inherent weaknesses, 21 Aug 2013
I purchased my Kindle keyboard on the 29th July 2011. The premise and my impression was that the reader was a superior, quality item. I received it in early August, unpacked it, and immediately began enjoying it without any setup fuss which normally accompanies items such as this. I purchased the genuine Amazon leather case in which to house my Kindle (I'm very fussy about looking after my possessions). Generally speaking, I'm useless at reading books and whilst my Kindle helped me improve my reading volume, it was used fa less than anticipated - principally only during holidays and during train travel. So, my Kindle for the biggest part, lay unused, on it's own in my desk drawer only being taken out to give the occasional charge. All was fine until the middle of August 2013, the point at which my Kindle was 25 months old. I removed it from the safety of my desk drawer only to find the screen scrambled. Ah, only needs charging I thought. This I did. The Kindle took a full charge but the screen remained unchanged. Oh dear I thought. Perhaps the software has been corrupted because of low charge? I tried every reset procedure known but to no effect. The Kindle appeared to be working normally other than the screen issue. When turned on, the screen 'twitched' as though something's was happening and when connected to my PC, it was still recognised as a USB mass storage device. Conclusion: failed screen. It was only at this point did I begin to research the issue and found to my horror that this is a widespread problem of which Amazon are completely and fully aware. The general consensus is that in Amazons rush to corner the e-reader market, the Kindle keyboard wasn't (apparently) fully 'field tested'. Since the Kindle was a mere 25 months old and the fact that I had purchased on the premise of it being a quality item, I decided to tackle Amazon over the issue, as so many have done before me. In fairness, throughout my dealings, Amazon were always polite and sympathetic but like all large companies in cases like this, they have 'levels of escalation' which are based on customer attitude. First shot: a selection of slightly discounted replacements for me to purchase....what? A cherished and carefully looked after Kindle should have a useful life of at least 10+ years! I persisted (always politely) but it was only after indicating that should a free replacement not be forthcoming I would be left with no option but to place the matter in the hands of my legal representatives, did they finally agree to a free replacement. A Kindle Touch (albeit factory refurbished) was promptly supplied and I was provided with a pre-paid means of returning my failed Kindle keyboard. So, in conclusion, all credit to Amazon for doing the right thing (even though they did need pushing a bit). As mentioned earlier, this is a big, well documented problem with this model of Kindle. You only have to do a quick eBay search to discover just how many Kindle keyboards are being offered with 'broken screens'. Externally, a beautifully crafted piece of technology. Internally, a piece of technology with a critical component weakness. Lets just hope that the screen issue has been addressed in other models now being supplied and offered.

TeckNet® New Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Magnetic Auto-Sleep Function + Screen Protector & 2-in-1 Stylus Pen For New Apple iPad 4rd Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2- Black
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality i-pad case that does its job well with no fuss!, 23 Aug 2012
Recently purchased a new 3rd generation i-pad and I decided that I needed a good case to protect my investment. I chose this one based on other customer reviews. Totally excellent! The case has a great quality feel (which belies its purchase price) and protects the i-pad in most every way. The screen protectors supplied are brilliant if not a little tricky to fit - I made a mess of the first one - thats perhaps why they supply two! Overall, pound for pound, a far better buy than some significantly more expensive alternatives.

Smart Witness Wireless Outdoor CCTV Camera
Smart Witness Wireless Outdoor CCTV Camera
Offered by Ballicom International

1.0 out of 5 stars Not all its cracked up to be!, 22 Mar 2012
We are a small caravan park and recently purchased one of these kits to monitor our entranceway based on the manufacturer spiel. The claims are that they operate in 'perfect harmony' and do not upset WiFi or other wireless equipment operating in the 2.5Ghz range. We have park wide WiFi and music transmitted wirelessly to out toilet facilities. Despite the manufacturer claims, the camera kit wreaked positive havoc with our WiFi and music even after adjusting channel settings in these media to try and 'accomodate' the camera. A complete waste of money on our part. In addition, we would rate picture quality as poor at best. Might be ok in a domestic application where there is no other equipment competing for 'airspace'.

Nokia C3-01 Touch and Type Flip Leather Case Cover C301
Nokia C3-01 Touch and Type Flip Leather Case Cover C301
Offered by Mobile Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a genuine Nokia item!, 28 Jan 2012
The one star rating given doesn't really apply to the product in question, it does however refer to the potentially misleading nature of the listing. The listing states that the case is 'by Nokia'. Simple truth is, IT IS NOT!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2012 11:12 AM GMT

Hobson's Choice [DVD] [1954]
Hobson's Choice [DVD] [1954]
Dvd ~ Charles Laughton

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best classic British film of all time?, 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hobson's Choice [DVD] [1954] (DVD)
When I was at school (many, many years ago), Hobson's Choice was a work we had to study for English literature. It contains many subtle social lessons. As an augmentation to our studies, we were taken to The Oldham Coliseum Theatre to see a stage production (where incidenatally Pat Phoenix was in the audience - I got her autograph!). The film production starring Charles Laughton is a true gem. Well adapted, directed, produced and beautifully paced. Some reviewers bellyache about the technicalities of the films re-mastering. Whilst these comments are valid to a degree, I ultimately feel that the imperfections only add to the charm of a film from an era when actors HAD TO BE actors and digital processing was still science fiction. In other words, things need to be kept in perspective and you need to consider the whole picture. Apart from all that, this is a film that will never fail to please. It is engaging from the moment the opening credits close until the closing credits begin. It is packed with every emotion you could imagine and, incidentally laced with classic Lancastrian expressions such as 'tip over ass on t'pavement' - totally priceless! To conclude, whatever the asking price of the DVD, pay it - satisfaction guaranteed.

Simply Piano Moods
Simply Piano Moods

5.0 out of 5 stars A total chillout!!, 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: Simply Piano Moods (Audio CD)
This 4 disc set not only represents excellent value for money, it is total chillout material. Perfect as dinner party background music or therapeutic 'unwind after a hard day' music. If I have one criticism, the missing track is 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square'.

The Golden Age Of Wireless (Collectors Edition)
The Golden Age Of Wireless (Collectors Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant re-master - RUINED ARTWORK!!, 17 July 2009
This is a brilliant re-master of the original album and deserves in excess of 5 stars. The album artwork has however been totally and un-necessarily ruined with a rather objectionable overprint which reads "FSK ab 0 freigegeben". What the hell's that all about? This would have been far better as a 'peelable' sticker. I feel they've ruined this album artwork and as someone who cares about these things, I'm thinking (like others) of returning it for a refund as the illustration at point of purchase does not detail or mention it. "I cannot stress to highly the importance of getting it right first time".
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 8:06 PM GMT

Sinatra's Swingin Session (Rmst)
Sinatra's Swingin Session (Rmst)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories - revisited!, 31 July 2008
This is a truly superb album which showcases Frank Sinatra's truly unique talent. My first experience of this album was as a child, playing the mono reel to reel issue (which I still have) endlessly. This album I feel made such an impression on me that when I discovered it to be available on CD, I simply had to have it. It arrived this morning, I played it and was immediately transported forty years into the past. Talk about goose bumps! If you like Frank Sinatra, buy this album - you will not be disappointed.