Profile for C. Parker > Reviews

Content by C. Parker

C. Parker (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Amazon Basics Carrying Case for Portable GPS Units (Black)
Amazon Basics Carrying Case for Portable GPS Units (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi Europe Case, 1 May 2011
There isn't a lot you can say about this - it fits the Garmin Nuvi Europe I bought, I personally like this type of case. The satnav fits snugly and hasn't ever fallen out, and it's not too big either. No where to stow the cables, but I leave them in the car anyway.
Overall it appears to be a well made case that should last a long time.

Samsung N150 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter) - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Netbook N150 plus, 1 May 2011
This is a great little netbook from Samsung, with the initial impressions being very good. It is of the typical Samsung ilk - it feels solidly built and gives the impression it will last a long time. I am not a fan of all the pre-loaded software, as a more experienced user I prefer to pick and choose my own software. If you are not an experienced user, then you may find it useful.

The big advantage to this netbook is the dual core processor, which is not common on these little netbooks. It does make a difference, as a friend who has the 1.6Ghz Atom on the older version of this was amazed how much quicker this 1.5Ghz dual core was. My main gripe (and the reason I cannot give this 5 stars) is that the manufacturers still use Windows 7 Starter and only fit 1Gb of RAM. Fitting a 2Gb RAM chip makes a huge difference - any experienced user should do this themselves, but novices who are not confident can get someone to do it for them. For just a few quid more Samsung would have a real advantage marketing this as a 2Gb machine.

The mouse pad is easy to use, and despite the keyboard obviously being small, it is fairly easy to get used to. I have large hands and can cope with it, my girlfriend absolutely loves this machine. Remember that these units do not have a DVD drive, so you need to make sure you have a separate stand alone drive if you want to load software from a DVD or CD.

Battery life as commented by other reviewers is not the vaunted 9 or 10 hours, but I have had 7 hours when just using it for word processing, and managed to watch 2 films totalling 4.5hours on a plane flight - not bad when you consider the need for full brightness on the screen and maximum volume to be able to hear over the screaming children and engines (we were sat over the wing!)

If you want a gaming machine, forget it. If you want a small, lightweight and portable word processor that can handle the internet and watching movies, then buy this and upgrade the RAM.

Note - my girlfriend likes this that much she has stolen it from me and I've had to buy another!!!

Casio Hdc-600-1BVES Mens Combi Resin Strap Watch
Casio Hdc-600-1BVES Mens Combi Resin Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof watch, 1 May 2011
I bought this watch specifically for my holiday, as I planned to do a lot of swimming and spend a lot of time on the beach, but didn't want to risk getting sand into my main watch. I spent a lot of time in the pool and the sea, and this watch performed perfectly, without and glitches at all. It is a chunky, solidly built watch, and each day I simply rinsed it under the tap to make sure all the salt and sand was cleared off.

I only made use of the dual time setting, leaving the digital time on home and using the analogue for the local time. I have not used any of the other functions as I do not need them.

If you are after a watch that can cope with salt water, pool water and sand without issues, this is the watch for you.

Bipra EVA Hard Case Bag for Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable External USB Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Case for WD Passport Drive, 1 May 2011
I bought this item to go along with a blue WD My Passport Drive (500GB). The hard drive fits well, with a velcro strap that secures it to the case to stop the drive sliding about. On the other side there is a mesh pocket that will hold the USB cable securely. If you are sensible and put the ends of the cable inside the mesh, there is no chance of you accidently scratching the drive.

This has already protected the drive fully during a 9 hour return flight to the Caribbean without any issues - highly recommended.

Note for other drives - a drive 1cm longer than the passport I bought would fit this case, but nothing wider will fit.

Garmin Nuvi 1340 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps
Garmin Nuvi 1340 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi Europe, 19 Mar 2011
I bought this after initially trying a TomTom Start2 Europe, which was appalling!!

This is a good little satnav, which works well. It was very quick to set up, and even novice users would have no problem. The screen was responsive, and there are different voices to pick from for the instructions, so if you cannot live with the preset default, then change it!

The maps were reasonable as well - there is a road near me that always seems to be missing from maps and satnavs I have borrowed in the past, but it is on here! I used to use my HTC Hero as my in car sat nav, but bought this after finding out how much it cost to rent one for a week from a hire car company in Finland!! I was very happy with the performance, it had no issues finding locations in various parts of Finland, something the TomTom simply wouldn't do when I checked it before leaving home.

Back here in the UK it has performed admirably - in fact my housemate who hates these things wants to borrow it - a result for technology I think!!

If you want a decent satnav without breaking the bank, buy this one, don't be fooled by the TomTom!

AmazonBasics Travel Case Electonic Devives (e.g. GPS, MP3 Portables, Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sat Nav hard case, 19 Mar 2011
This case came with the TomTom satnav (Start2Europe) that I was unfortunate enough to buy. The sat nav got returned as it was pathetic (see my review on the TomTom). The case itself was good and sturdy and would have worked admirably, but as it was part of an Amazon promotion it went back when the satnav did.

If you are looking for a case for this type of equipment, it is definitely worth buying!

TomTom Start2 3.5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (42 Countries)
TomTom Start2 3.5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (42 Countries)

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom Start - what a let down!, 19 Mar 2011
Don't buy the TomTom, buy the Garmin instead.

Now I have that out in the open, here is the review!
I am a person who likes and uses technology on a frequent basis, and have used satnav systems many times before. Previously I have used my HTC Hero as my satnav, but after seeing the hideous price of hiring a satnav while in Finland, decided to buy the specialist version for Europe rather than take the hit on data costs abroad.

This system has had good and bad reviews in various places, but seemed a reasonable bet, but I was so wrong!!! I would recommend that no one buy this product at all - you are just wasting your time. It is this type of satnav that gives satnavs a bad name!!

The plus points - it is small and cheap. THE END!

The drawbacks - the screen is really poor - bright light meant it couldn't be viewed properly, the 'touch' screen really should be called a 'punch' screen as you really have to press hard to get it to work. It struggled to find many well known locations nearby, and trying to select a point on the map was laughable. After it failing spectacularly to find a route from the airport to the hotel I was staying at, I packed it up and sent it back (and Amazon as usual were excellent dealing with this).

I got a Garmin Nuvi 1340 instead - the screen is better, the maps are better, it found locations quickly, including the airport to hotel route.

So now you know, don't buy the TomTom, buy the Garmin instead.

Kensington Ultra Portable Power Inverter 150 - DC to AC power inverter ( external ) - 150 Watt - Europe
Offered by Hogiesonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Inverter for Air and Car Travel, 19 Mar 2011
This is a great little gadget to have, I would really recommend anyone who loves their tech and travels a lot to have one. It works with any airline that uses the Empower system on board (it worked flawlessly on board Virgin Atlantic) and also works in the cigarette / power socket in cars.

It will run just about anything you can think of to connect to it, I charged my ipod while using my computer through it, and all at 40000 feet! I have also used it in the car as well, and it proved really handy when abroad and I realised I hadn't brought the right adaptor for my computer. Being able to charge the laptop while on the move was really useful!

It might not be the cheapest product, but this time you do get what you pay for.

Aquapac 420 Hard Lens Camera Case for Mini Digital Cameras with a zoom lens
Aquapac 420 Hard Lens Camera Case for Mini Digital Cameras with a zoom lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof case for digital camera, 19 Mar 2011
I have waited a long time between buying this and reviewing it! It was purchased for a holiday in October 2010, but got mislaid and not used until February 2011!

The item is well made and durable, just remember to keep it out of direct sunlight when not in use, to prolong the life of the 'plastic' bag. I use the term 'plastic' very loosely - it is in fact a remarkable thick membrane that works very well. I used a normal Fuji digital camera in here and it operated reasonably well. The camera I used had a 10xzoom, but with this Aquapac you can only use about x2 or x3 zoom.

nevertheless it was remarkably easy to use the camera while in the pac - just turning a dial was tricky, but all button and lever operations were really simple and easy to do. The camera came out totally dry and the pictures came out well without some of the distortion you can get from cheap end products.

It doesn't look like much, but it does do the job. It also does float, even if you make no attempt to trap air inside when inserting the camera. The only hard part of the entire process is putting the camera in! You must make sure you get it aligned with the ring for the lens, so as to not damage your camera.

The only negative I could think of was I personally didn't like the cord it came with, I swapped it for one I have used in the water before, but there is nothing actually wrong with the supplied cord.

It's next destination is a reef in the Caribbean where I expect it to work equally as well!

Tripneeds Trackerlock 400 Tsa Lock With Okoban® And Searchcheck(TM)
Tripneeds Trackerlock 400 Tsa Lock With Okoban® And Searchcheck(TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tripneeds TSA lock, 19 Mar 2011
This is an absolutely superb product. They have served well during a trip to the USA and also to Finland. In fact it is so good that security decided not to put it back on the bag when they checked my case on my most recent flight!!

it does exactly what it should, it is sturdy, the lock is easy to use and even simple to change the code! As with anything, if someone really wants to get in your case they will, but the added bonus with this type is the trackerlock facility. If the bag ends up missing, then the finder can use the Okoban code on the website to find out where the bag should be. I have never yet needed this (and I hope I don't!) but it is an added measure to try and relieve some of the worry over missing bags.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4