ARRAY(0xab9e366c)

Profile for P. Stearman > Reviews

Content by P. Stearman

P. Stearman "Rhandolph" (Brighton, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2
Marvel Superheroes: Facts and Character Analysis
Marvel Superheroes: Facts and Character Analysis
Price: 1.84

1.0 out of 5 stars so that's why it was so cheap., 18 April 2014
I bought this expecting perhaps a picture of each character and a brief summary and few trivia facts, Nothing heavy, but other than the cover there are no illustrations and only trivia facts, many of which I knew like 'Wolverine was created by a military experiment'... which isn't actually true, he was a mutant before that. Between each 'fact' is a blank space. Lots of blank spaces.. I know it was cheap but it's still a rip off. I have got whole graphic novels on kindle before for less. This might amuse a child but even then only for five minutes. AVOID.

Deathstroke TP Vol 01 Legacy
Deathstroke TP Vol 01 Legacy
by Joe Bennet
Price: 10.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing., 12 Sep 2013
I didn't know much about Deathstroke, mainly recalling the scene in Identity crisis where he takes down half of the JLA, partly by sheer fighting abilities but mostly through being a master tactician and being one move ahead and planning.

I didn't finish this book because it was pretty much him mindlessly wading into minions with heads flying left and right, then a boss fight. Then him mindlessly wading into minions with heads flying left and right, then a boss fight, then him mindlessly wading into minions with heads flying left and right, then a boss fight. At that point I gave up.

There were brief scenes between fights where he was verbally wading in to people in a 'I'm a big number one mercenary and I'm gonna prove it!' way and what passed for a sort of plot got some explanation but I really couldn't care less about Deathstroke by that point.

Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy)
Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy)
by Mike Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars just.. okay., 31 Mar 2010
I thought this was okay, continuing the story from Descent of Angels, yet capable of being read on it's own. I didn't think the two seemingly unconnected stories detracted from my enjoyment, indeed it painted a good picture of what was going on inside the divided Chapter.
The style is still sometimes abit 'teenage reader' especially with the shoulder-punching comraderie, and there is not much developement of the two main characters.. indeed thinking about them now I find it hard to tell them apart.
For readers who know the fluff there is a couple of good moments with Lion El'Jonson, one of which just makes you slap your forehead and go 'Nooooooo..' but you'll have to find that for yourself. The plot thickens that will lead up to the established.. end.. but no great revelations come through, yet.
I'll read the next one for continuity and out of curiosity but these tomes don't really make it onto my great books list.

A Thousand Sons (The Horus Heresy)
A Thousand Sons (The Horus Heresy)
by Graham McNeill
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tragedy!, 31 Mar 2010
I very much enjoyed this book, a well told story with generally well fleshed out characters and a very convincing and sympathetic portrayal of the Thousand sons and there troubled past and seemingly bright future under Magnus the Red.
That said not all the characters get developed that much but with a big story to cover that would have eaten up necarsary pages, Ahriman is the main protagonist and we see much through his eyes. He comes over as a genuine human whose intentions are all for the good, as with Magnus, and therein lies the great tragedy, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!
Some have said this book is a little 'slow' but I think what they mean is 'We want more battles!'. The pace of this story and themes of power and knowledge give this book a deeper undercurrent than some of the others in the series and much for the reader to consider.
I also liked that there was no simple division of good guys/bad guys.. loyal hero/evil traitor in this work. Little is black and white and therein lies another theme of the work. The Thousand sons come over as seekers of knowledge for the greater good whilst the space wolves come over as a bunch of ignorant barbarians. Looking forward to seeing how it seems from the other side and as mentioned by others its a shame that its counterpart is not here now, but nevermind, I'll happily re-read this before Wolves of Prospero comes out.

Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix; Warhammer Novel)
Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix; Warhammer Novel)
by William King

4.0 out of 5 stars Squeaking deth!, 28 Mar 2009
I enjoyed this book, which I bought mainly because I like Skaven and despite assassinations and plague infested horrors the rat-men are generally played out here with the comedy slant in mind, with perhaps a few too many jokes about 'the musk of fear' being thrown in.

It is of course a collection of short stories all linked together and focused very much on Felix and from his point of view, indeed Gotrek remains an entirely one dimensional caricature through out which is a shame, I learnt nothing about him from the first page to the last and a glimpse or two into his mind would have been welcome.

As a disposable holiday read it worked well and I do mean that as a good thing, if this was a film it would be an explosive action-fantasy-comedy that you'd probably stick on again one day when you want to sit back and enjoy the ruck without worrying about whether its gonna win any oscars or not. Enjoyable stuff.

Wolverine: Origins Volume 5 - Deadpool TPB: Origins - Deadpool Premiere v. 5 (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Steve Dillon
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for fans..., 23 Feb 2009
I have not read any of the other volumes in this series and bought this one because of my fave Marvel character Deadpool, the merc with a mouth, who in this tale is trying to kill off the almost indestructible Wolverine in a number of ways.. its typical deranged Deadpool with the usual humour but also a few darker glimpses into the characters past. Lots of one liners, explosions and the odd dismembered limb.
The second shorter story is one of those brief looks at a questionable mission/project the old reconstructed wolverine was involved in.. that comes back to haunt him.
Its not really an epic volume or has anything groundbreaking going on but worth getting if your into either Wolvie or Deadpool.

For the Emperor (Ciaphas Cain)
For the Emperor (Ciaphas Cain)
by Sandy Mitchell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in its own right, but...., 27 Aug 2008
First off let me say that I enjoyed this book but having read many of the Flashman books they have been compared to they come off as a pale imitation. (Harry Flashman was a fictional Victorian 'hero' created by George Macdonald Fraser, who left papers behind much as the 'Cain archive' here revealing he was actually a complete coward, cad and womaniser and not the hero the public believed him to be).

The characters are not as colourful and frankly Cain does not come over as that much of a rascal, sure ulterior motives are given for Cains 'heroic' actions, but some of them are a bit weak so you actually believe Cain is being quite courageous at times... plus despite a couple of veiled adult jokes you are aware that the author knows the target audience will range from kids who are into warhammer to, well, supposed grown ups like me who are into warhammer so there are none of the amusing adult situations that crop up in flashman either.
I think comparisons with 'Black Adder goes forth' are probably more helpful than those with the flashman papers, with Gunner Jurgen standing in for Baldrik, the humour is also similar.

I would recommend this book if you wanted a 40K novel with a lighter tone and away from the usual grim battlefield heroics (not that there isn't plenty of action, and grimness..) but if your not bothered about it being a 40K book go and look up Flashman instead.

Deadpool Vs. The Marvel Universe (Cable and Deadpool, Vol. 8)
Deadpool Vs. The Marvel Universe (Cable and Deadpool, Vol. 8)
by Reilly Brown
Price: 18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, but hey, its Deadpool!, 15 Aug 2008
Deadpool has been my favourite comic book character since I re-discovered comics about seven years ago and I have enjoyed the whole Cable and Deadpool series, though some more than others.

This is a worthy read.. but I think it has flaws, some of the many 'cross overs' feel rushed and done for the sake of it and the closing story wraps things up in a nice bundle a bit too easily. I had thought I'd prefer Deadpool without 'straight man' Cable but now I feel he was necersary as a focus and counter to Deadpools zany-ness and was a good device for story development, which is now a bit lacking.

Still, if you are a Deadpool fan this has everything you'd expect and I wouldn't miss it, its okay but not as good as what has gone before. Lets hope the merc with a mouth makes a comeback!

Angels of Darkness (Warhammer 40, 000)
Angels of Darkness (Warhammer 40, 000)
by Gavin Thorpe

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping tale of the ages, 15 Aug 2008
I am glad a new edition has been released. I was very much disappointed after reading 'Descent of Angels' which seemed to promise answers to many of the questions about the Dark Angels history and origins, only to deliver very little in what was a very 'teen reading' novel... 'Angels of Darkness' puts all that right.

The story is a good blend of action and intrigue with the main characters being quite well fleshed out, even for space marines... the story flows well and I felt like I really wanted to get back to it. There a couple of real revelations and uncomfortable truths.. especially if you, like I am, are a fan of the Dark Angels you might find yourself also questioning your loyalty...

Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
by Mitchel Scanlon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping yet ultimately unsatisfying..., 30 Oct 2007
This is the first of the Horus Heresy books I've bought and chose this one as it concentrated on my favourite Spave marine chapter, the enigmatic Dark Angels.

There are some interesting insights into their origins as warrior knights on Caliban (although they were never religious as I would have imagined) but none of the big questions that anyone familiar with their established history might expect to be answered really get dealt with.. The title 'Descent of Angels' refers to the arrival of the Adeptes Astartes on Caliban and is nothing to do with the Dark angels falling from grace or the fate of Caliban, which I think many readers would have expected.

I never doubted I'd finish the book, I wanted to know what would happen.. but having got to the end of the book I felt 'oh right, that's it then.' I'd like to see another book deal with all that went uncovered in this tome.

Theres also plenty of reminders that this is a book for younger readers, mainly in the form of the main character being a young would-be-knight striving to prove himself at knight-school (pun intended). I've just bought Fulgrim and hope that deals with the Emperors children in a better way than this book dealth with the Dark Angels.

A missed opportunity.