Profile for Feanor > Reviews

Lightroom Keyboard Cover for MacBook 13
Lightroom Keyboard Cover for MacBook 13
Offered by dureg Express UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and highly recommended., 10 Oct 2014
This is a really useful tool for anyone wanting to get the most out of Lightroom's invaluable, but difficult to learn, keyboard shortcuts. The quality is excellent and, although it seems expensive, it's far less than the alternatives which seem to be part of a wider software package.
Mine sits in my laptop sleeve's front pocket for whenever I want to use Lightroom, although it could easily stay on my keyboard all the time.

Eastpak Unisex Hyatt M Laptop Bags - Ash Blend
Eastpak Unisex Hyatt M Laptop Bags - Ash Blend
Offered by kofferschnaeppchen

4.0 out of 5 stars Way too big for a 13" Retina Macbook Pro but good for other laptops, 9 Oct 2014
I bought this for my Macbook Pro and didn't bother comparing the measurements of either. When I tried it, I found that the laptop was way too small for this bag - so much so that it would have just floated around inside and wouldn't provide much protection.

The laptop is, however, really good for my work laptop - also a 13" screen, but a much larger chassis.

As a bag it's great. The carrying handle is great, and the pockets are really useful for the power supply and odd pieces of paper when travelling etc. The zips feel a little cheap but this isn't exactly a suitcase where you'll be trying to cram as much as possible in the bag to bursting point, so I doubt this matters. All in all a good case that, if your laptop is of a suitable size, won't add much to its size and weight.

Inateck® 13.3 Inch MacBook Pro Retina Display Ultrabook Netbook Bag Envelope Case Cover Sleeve Carrying Protector Case Bag with Card Slot, Compatible with 13 Inch Apple Macbook Pro Retina/Macbook Air, Most 11-Inch Ultrabook Netbook [Size: 13.3-Inch, Color: Grey]
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 13" Retina Macbook Pro, 9 Oct 2014
I did quite a lot of research before ordering a sleeve/case for my new 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I really wanted something that doesn't add much bulk and weight - after all, why spent a lot of money on something that's small and light only to make it big and heavy? But I wanted something that provided a bit of storage for accessories and decent protection. This meets all of my needs.

I was a bit worried it wouldn't fit - it does perfectly, at least for 2013 and 2014 Retina 13" models; I suspect those having problems with fit have the larger non-Retina Macbook (or possibly larger older Retina Macbooks, if they exist?).

The only downsides to this product are the front pocket, presumably for paperwork, which has nothing to stop things slipping out when the sleeve is opened (I nearly lost my HSBC Secure Key by foolishly putting it in there) and the pouch for the power supply is a bit too small, or at least of the wrong dimensions. As it is the Macbook power supply fits fairly well in there on its own but the optional mains lead doesn't fit as well.

Overall though I love this case - it's stylish, of excellent quality, and provides the protection I want while having an incredibly low price. Excellent value and highly recommended.

Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2, Mini 3, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One (M8), Google Nexus 4 5 6 7 9 10, External Battery, PS Vita, Gopro and more (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for households with multiple devices, 17 July 2014
I bought this because I'd gotten fed up with having to constantly connect and disconnect cables for charging my Kindle and multiple iPads and iPhones. Also, my partner and I travel a lot and most hotel rooms only seem to have one mains socket which is annoying for charging our multiple battery powered USB devices; I don't fancy lugging around a mains strip in my suitcase.

This has made life much, much easier: no longer do we have multiple chargers scattered around and no longer do we need to faff around if we want to charge everything at once. We just have one side table with all the cables we need always plugged in and ready to go.

Also, note that my charger definitely doesn't make any noise whatsoever; I'm normally highly sensitive to the sort of high-pitched electronic squeal that others have reported. I think that this was probably a problem with an earlier batch of chargers that has since been fixed.

Sumvision Universal 95W Power Adapter/Chager for Laptops, Compatible to Dell/Acer/Compaq/IBM/HP/Fujitus/Toshiba/Sattelite - 9 Connectors - 95W
Offered by Storage Depot Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with Roomba 4210!, 17 July 2014
I bought this as a replacement power supply for my ancient Roomba 4210 robotic vacuum cleaner because its PSU had died and I couldn't find anything Roomba-specific that wasn't from the States.

I was worried it wouldn't contain a compatible connector and that the polarity would be wrong, but that wasn't a problem. I wasn't sure about the polarity of the old charger but the connectors included have black and yellow tips, and I remember the old charger having a black tip; I think that this denotes polarity, so I went for the black one.

Two black-tipped connectors physically fitted onto the charging port and felt similarly secure so I decided to try the one that had the narrowest hole inside (to ensure the best possible connection with the port's pin) and set the charger's output to 22v.

Fortunately, not only did my educated guesses mean that my roomba didn't blow up - but it worked! My vacuum cleaner is now fully charged for the first time in at least a year and is now bumping its way happily across my rather dusty apartment.

Wera 8100 SA/SC 2 05160785001 Zyklop Ratchet Set / 43-Piece
Wera 8100 SA/SC 2 05160785001 Zyklop Ratchet Set / 43-Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully made set, 24 Dec 2013
I bought this for my home toolkit after spotting it mis-priced on Amazon having been drooling over it for a while. Unfortunately the price has since gone back up.

It is a beautifully made set and lives up to all the marketing promises of making work easier and faster. Just be a little bit careful with it when you're learning to use it - if you find yourself needing to use force to remove a socket or change a position you probably need to press a button or slide something to release it!

Wera  Kraftform Kompakt 20 Sdriver Bit set
Wera Kraftform Kompakt 20 Sdriver Bit set

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any decent toolkit, 24 Dec 2013
I use this almost every day at work and it's made my life so much easier. No more scrabbling around for the right screwdriver - I attach this to my belt in the morning and if I need any standard driver while I'm out and about for a quick job I can usually do it there and then instead of having to come back with tools.

It oozes quality and is incredibly quick to change bits, especially after a bit of practice. It's far quicker to change bits than any other bitset I've used - even quicker, possibly, then bending down to pick up a different screwdriver.

The rotating plastic around the bitholder is also incredibly useful, especially when using flatheads as it makes it easy to hold the driver steady and stop it slipping out.

The only downside is that there is no smaller flathead bit (No.2 or No.3) but that's not much of a problem - I just swapped out the rarely-used PH1 bit with a small flathead bit from another set. I wonder though if they have done this for a reason - the driver is advertised as being for use in powertools and I doubt a No.2/3 driver would be strong enough for this.

The "Wera Toolcheck" set compliments this driver beautifully - I recommend you buy them both and make a few changes to the drivers you keep in them depending on your usage.

Stanley 197514 24-inch Tote With Organiser
Stanley 197514 24-inch Tote With Organiser

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as amazing as the other reviews suggest, 20 July 2012
Fed up with the cheap Ikea plastic box I had been using for my tools but was simply not strong enough, I decided to get a proper toolbox so spent quite some time researching.

I was looking for something large enough to take my 20" saw and all my tools, but not so big that it'd be a pain to carry around. This seemed perfect, especially with the rave reviews it's got here on Amazon.

I've just been moving my tools over to it and am mildly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's great for 20 quid, but you do pay for what you get. The plastics feel cheap, and although the main body will probably stand up to mild abuse the transparent lid feels a bit brittle. I doubt it'd survive a small hammer being dropped on it.

The removable lid-box, a very clever idea, is hamstrung by being cluttered up by too many compartments. Granted, dividers can be removed to make the compartments larger, but I had been hoping to put my ratchet screwdriver box set in the lid for easy access & transport - not possible because no one compartment is large enough. The compartments are useful, but I don't see the need for so many - they're not really small enough for screws, but they're not really big enough for many tools, and the organiser unit is anyway shallow enough for tools not to get lost in it. A few compartments are useful but this many is restrictive.

The space in the bottom is a bit disappointing too. It could really have done with being at least 5cm deeper. I can get all of my important tools in but I've had to leave out larger rarely-used items such as my tile grouting trowel, etc. I had hoped I'd be able to fit my torque wrench and socket set for removing car wheels in it but I'm not hopeful (it's in the shed at the moment - I'll go out to get it when the garden isn't soaking wet).

It's unfair to blame my mild disappointment on the product - the fault is partly mine for assuming that since other reviewers were saying they were able to fit ALL their tools in it, that I would too. These people simply can't have a comprehensive set of tools - if you're a keen DIYer like myself with tools for car maintenance, bike maintenance, plumbing, kitchen work not to mention general screwdrivers & drill bits etc, this box won't be big enough for you. You'll either need something bigger or a second toolbox. If you're a professional, the box probably isn't sturdy enough to stand up to being thrown around in the back of a van.

In fairness, this is probably the best toolbox for the price. I'd happily have paid twice as much for a bit more space and slightly better quality. In fact, Stanley would do well to release other toolboxes based on this design but in different sizes and for different purposes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 12:53 PM BST

Novero Rockaway Bluetooth Earphones - Black
Novero Rockaway Bluetooth Earphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to love these earphones... but they fall out all the time, 31 Dec 2011
I did a lot of research before buying these. Having had trouble with similarly designed wired Sony earphones in the past, I was hesitant about buying a pair that didn't have ear loops. But since the competition all look like hearing aids or have solid head bands, and since I was so impressed by the fact that you can hardly tell where the electronics & battery go, I went for the Rockaways.

And they are almost every bit as great as the other reviewers here say. The sound quality compares well with cabled earphones (perhaps not audiophile grade but as good as I think it's possible to achieve over Bluetooth); they're simple to pair and use; Siri works with them; the call quality is acceptable (if metallic - even Siri sounds even more like a robot than normal).

Unfortunately, they keep falling out of my ears. I spent ages trying out each of the 4 different sizes again and again but couldn't get them to stay in place for more than a few seconds. Well, actually, I could - but only if I pushed them in really hard and didn't move my head. Moving my head, aspecially turning it left and right, makes them come lose almost immediately. This is incredibly annoying as the whole point in having these was so that I could do stuff around the house while listening to music and podcasts without getting caught up in cables - so I need to be able to be active while wearing them.

As said, I had a simiar problem with some Sonys I had years ago, but even they didn't fall out as quickly. Unfortunately the extra few grams that these earphones weigh, coupled with the thick, tough and less flexible cable, exacerbates this problem.

Maybe it's just the shape of my ear holes - perhaps they're not round enough, or something. If you've worn earphones with similar rubber ends before and had no problems with them, then you'll probably be fine with them. If you've never worn similar earphones before, give them a try. If, however, you have had problems then don't bother trying these.

For such an otherwise excellent product this is such a shame; especially since a simple wire earloop would easily solve this problem. I hope Novero add one onto the next version.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 9:29 AM GMT

Apple Wireless Keyboard - GBR
Apple Wireless Keyboard - GBR
Offered by Office Nerd

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful keyboard and one of the best designs ever - shame about the US-style positioning of the @ and " symbols, 19 May 2011
I bought this keyboard for use with my iPad, and it really is a pleasure to type with. I can, except when using the symbols mentioned below, touch-type at full speed without any problems. It's beatifully designed, compact and seems much sturdier than the other bluetooth keyboards out there. I prefer it to the keyboard cases (zaggmate etc) as you can position it however you like relative to the iPad and you don't need to take extra bulk with you when you don't need it. With the Zaggmate, if you don't want to put the iPad in the Zaggmate stand, say if you want to use the two on your lap and need the iPad to lie flat, the Zagg suddenly becomes a very large keyboard.

I don't know about the complaints from people about the packaging - I bought mine from Amazon proper (not a Marketplace seller) and it came in the typically beautiful original Apple packaging.

What lets they keyboard down for me, however, is that the @ sign is under Shift+2 and double speech marks (") are under the ' button, as it is on American keyboard. I definitely have the British version as it has a £ sign. Having asked on the iPad forum and other Brits I know who use Apple stuff, the positioning of the @ key is apparentlty normal on all Apple keyboards.

Why?!? And why does this only seem to bother me?? As someone who touchtypes almost without thought this is really annoying and forces me to pause whenever I need to use these symbols. I'll never now be able to use them on either my PC or on the iPad without having to stop to think about which keyboard I'm using. So much for standardisation!

While I think I'll keep this keyboard now I have it, I may well have chosen a third party alternative had I known before about this odd key postioning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3