Profile for KersReview > Reviews

Across a Wire
Across a Wire
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it again..., 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Across a Wire (Audio CD)
There are a few albums in your life that really become part of it. For me, this is one of those albums. I wore my first copy out it seems, consequently I bought it again.

Anyone who is already a Counting Crows fan should own this album. It is just a definitive summary of what they are all about; a quality Electric Set with a quality Acoustic Set on the second disc shows how accomplished their sound is and how their songs can be absolutely transformed when you unplug them.

Classic tracks throughout and a real contrast between the two discs, most notable in the two versions of Angels of the Silences - completely different and yet both absolutely stunning. 'Round Here' and 'Have You Seen Me Lately' similarly have fantastic contrasts within the two discs. If it had 'Omaha' on there, it would be perfect in every way.

There are a few standout albums of this era, Nirvana's unplugged album was a head turner for me a few years earlier, but this is just a cut above everything else I own from that time. Most people I know who own a Counting Crows album have 'August and Everything After'. That album is great, but this is better. I really can't say much else, other than buy it.

Sun, Moon and Stars (Usborne Beginners)
Sun, Moon and Stars (Usborne Beginners)
by Stephanie Turnbull
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Little Ones, 28 Dec 2013
This book is a great introduction for youngsters. My purchase was a result of my 3 and 5 year old boys showing an interest in the sky. I bought this and it has really built on that interest. The content is quite basic compared to older books, but at this age your not exactly looking for the finer detail of planetary science. It is however easily enough to really stimulate interest and give a basic knowledge of what kids who like this sort of thing need to know at this age.

I have seen a few books aimed at kids on this subject. Some are really boring, even I don't like reading them. Some are just too, well, 'rubbish'. But this one is just about the best one I have seen at this level.

If you had cash in your hand and were staring at this book amongst a shelf of kiddies books on the subject, I would say 'go on, do it. You won't be disappointed'. And I would mean it, because I don't think you would.