Profile for G. Goodlet > Reviews

I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-up Comedy's Golden Era
I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-up Comedy's Golden Era
by William Knoedelseder

4.0 out of 5 stars One for Committed fans of US Stand-up., 21 Jun. 2011
I'm glad I had read several other books about US comedy before I read this one. There's lots of information about some of the lesser known (in the UK) figures in US stand-up comedy history. If your into trade unions you might find the information about the strike of interest, scabs and all. The inner workings of the Comedy Store that inspired the London Comedy Store are also outlined, warts and all.

Game On: Complete Series 3 [DVD]
Game On: Complete Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Cottle

4.0 out of 5 stars Male comedy with bite., 21 Jun. 2011
Not a political correct sitcom, but despite only one writer the standard of series 1 & 2 is more or less maintained in 3. Good value for money if you liked 1 & 2.

American - The Bill Hicks Story [DVD]
American - The Bill Hicks Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Harlock
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Bill Hicks/ Essential viewing for any fan., 21 Jun. 2011
The film itself was informative and provided a stylish, user friendly introduction to Bill Hicks. As a Bill Hicks fan the hours and hours of extra footage made this whole package well worth the purchase. After you have seen the film please seek out further information. Bill Hicks made you think even if you didn't like what he was saying and for that he should be remembered.

Comedy at the Edge: How Stand-Up in the 1970s Changed America
Comedy at the Edge: How Stand-Up in the 1970s Changed America
by Richard Zoglin

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Guide to early stand up., 12 April 2011
If you are interested in the evolution of stand up comedy then buy this book. I found it easy to read with lots of detail. Subsequently I have a much better idea of how the clubs that inspired the London Comedy Store came into being.

Dick Van Dyke Show [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dick Van Dyke Show [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars An antidote to Mary Poppins., 12 April 2011
Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins seems to be his defining feature as far as British people are concerned. It is a shame that he is not remembered for this wonderful sitcom that has aged well. If you like family friendly US sitcoms then I strongly suggest you try this. The navigation of the DVD is not as user friendly as others.

Mixed Nuts: America's Love Affair with Comedy Teams from Burns and Allen to Belushi and Aykroyd
by Lawrence Epstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a specialist book., 8 Feb. 2011
This book gave me more detailed insight into the history of US comedy, in particular the comedy teams. I found that the socially aware explanations provided me with a much greater understanding of how US comedy evolved. Great comedy is supposed to capture the zeitgeist of the time and this book provides theories as to why things worked. For a fresh take on comedy read this.

The Haunted Smile: The Story of Jewish Comedians
The Haunted Smile: The Story of Jewish Comedians
by Lawrence J. Epstein

4.0 out of 5 stars A Socially Aware Detailed History., 8 Feb. 2011
If you are interested in how society influences comedy and you are interested in US comedy then I can highly recommend this book. I should also add that I am not Jewish, but I found this book absolutely fascinating. I loved the detailed research and the new insights this book gave me. The author does postulate regularly on the emotional needs of the audience which you may not necessarily agree with. I bought a used copy of this book and it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Made You Laugh!: The Funniest Moments in Radio, Television, Stand-Up, and Movie Comedy [With DVD]
by Joe Garner

4.0 out of 5 stars A Concise Overview of US Comedy, 10 Jan. 2011
For a British fan of comedy this book (and DVD) was a fascinating introduction to US comedy. With people like Carl Reiner and Richard Pryor involved I knew this was worth investigating. It has provided me with many hours of entertainment and given me several leads into my areas of interest.

Hancock's Half Hour - Volume 3 [DVD]
Hancock's Half Hour - Volume 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Hancock
Offered by avsuk1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 19 Mar. 2010
If you've seen the best of Hancock and want more then look no further than this 2 disc volume.

The Golden Girls - The Complete First Season [DVD] [1985]
The Golden Girls - The Complete First Season [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Beatrice Arthur
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Golden, 19 Mar. 2010
The Golden Girls were on British tv a number of years ago, but I remember enjoying the show. So considering the price I found season 1 to be a worthy buy. The creator and writer Susan Harris was a poineer and there are some classic episodes in this season.

Page: 1 | 2